Quaker Lane + Congress Square | Downtown

Tough to judge without seeing a more zoomed-out view of the ceiling. There's no reason it should be freezing if it is a middle floor (or any floor if engineered properly).

It is exposed ceiling throughout, both on the "old" floors and on "hat" floors. FWIW I wasn't wearing a sweater and I ended up putting my winter coat on inside. I did not make the connection to the ceiling. There are still construction guys on every floor with lots of work going on everywhere.

IYNB6Gc.jpg

zW2vSlK.jpg

Avg4loS.jpg

i0dm1dK.jpg

Few people in my company go to the office every day -- I used to go 1-2 times a month. My wife went 1-2 times a year when she worked there. Thus it is mostly about hoteling. There are some permanent seating for internal people not pictured here.

Open office.

*shudders*

+1. I've heard the current trends go away from open offices is this true?

It is exposed ceiling throughout, both on the "old" floors and on "hat" floors. FWIW I wasn't wearing a sweater and I ended up putting my winter coat on inside. I did not make the connection to the ceiling. There are still construction guys on every floor with lots of work going on everywhere.

To be fair I dont have a ton of personal experience that the ceiling causes this, it just happens to be so in my current office where the difference is stark.

Fine addition. The cornice though adds nothing at all and looks like a forced homage to contextualism. Cornice correctness?

Interesting. Normally I'd be less than thrilled to lose housing units, but I think this might actually make for better activation of Quaker Lane (I can see evening noise from the restaurant/bar being an issue for condo owners). I also like that the proposal does outline Quaker Lane activation (tables are rendered in the schematics). I am bummed that you essentially remove retail (this change removes a little over 2,500 square feet of retail) and replace it with a hotel lobby, but I guess it's not the worst trade off.

Could this be a better spot for crenellation? It might work well with the rhythm of the addition's facade, the dentils below, and corbels next door.
I'd rather see no cornice or anything else, just let the facade top off in a clean line. The rooftop addition on the left would have looked absurd if a cornice had been added to it. Also would rather have one or two more floors on this new hotel so all those roof edges don't align in one over-long, uninterrupted line.

Interesting. Normally I'd be less than thrilled to lose housing units, but I think this might actually make for better activation of Quaker Lane

This. There's going to be 280 hotel rooms encircling Quaker Lane in a few years--it should really become a special urban place, a true downtown sanctuary tucked-away from the hustle/commotion... yet at the same time, creating its own vibe.

I got a tour of the new Hyatt Centric and its adjoining restaurant, Mercato, the other day. The restaurant's windows onto Quaker Lane are awesome. You feel like you're suspended within a vessel/chamber; it's really unlike any restaurant I've seen in terms of its sense of embedded-ness w/in an urban realm. Joint should be rockin'!

<which makes it all the sadder that Cultivar closed--maddening, even, if the tragic-comic explanation for its demise is to be taken at face value. Yearly renewal of the alcohol license was being mailed to the wrong entity?! Are you f&(*#@ kiddin' me?!?>

Is there any residential component to this development ?

I think it’s stealthy and that’s a good thing. Subtle.

I'm extremely envious of everyone who has these incredibly nice working environments. I guess that's what I get for working for the federal government I guess. The stuff I look at all day is just outright depressing.

As far as the "jewel box", I think it looks far better in person than it does in pictures.

Overall a great project, and i'd like to see it more in underused older buildings.

Back