Quincy Center Redevelopment

Re: $1 billion development proposed to reshape downtown Quincy

Suffolk -- this thread needs to have its name sliightly altered

There is no way shape of form of a 1B$ project hapening in downtown Quincy

this is $100 M at best

Re: $1 billion development proposed to reshape downtown Quincy

I've wanted to change the title of this thread but only a mod can. Quincy Center Redevelopment would be fine I think.

Quincy Center redevelopment

At Quincy Center, most of the long-shuttered parking garage will be demolished to make way for new development, MBTA project manager John McCormack and Massachusetts Department of Transportation chief strategy officer Scott Bosworth told councilors. A request for development proposals will go out this year.

As part of the $25 million project, levels five through three of the garage are coming down. Level two will remain, an accessible entrance will be added at the Burgin Parkway side of the station, the station’s elevator will be replaced, and the station itself will remain open during demolition, officials said. Construction is expected to last through 2018.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/regionals/south/2017/04/04/sombta/cAtqytSmhkz7NxVBqpxzlO/story.html

Not Quincy Center, but close enough:

AR-170628821.jpg

Major North Quincy T station development approved

610 apartments, 50,000 square feet of commercial space and 1,600 parking spots.

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/20170621/major-north-quincy-t-station-development-approved

That’s good that they’ll be maintaining over 200 parking spaces for T riders. On an average day the lot is well more than half full, so it’s good people will still have a place to park their car.

It's about time North Quincy started to see a building boom of sorts; as people get priced out of South Boston and some other Boston neighborhoods, North Quincy has to start becoming more attractive.

I really should walk around and take some photos of all the construction going on. Quincy Center's development is proceeding along at a steady clip with no signs of slowing down.

Lets see:
Cliveden Place, on Hancock, is half done.
Construction on a parking garage to replace the big lot on Revere Rd is underway. The locals have been asking for more parking during all the construction, so even if it might be more than needed, long term, this is a necessity to keep public support. The same lot is going to include a 15 story tower that the city just approved.
North Quincy T station has two different developments going on.
There's a complex under construction (to finish this calendar year) up by the Marriott by Quincy Adams.

Hose are the big ones that come to mind. Exciting times.

The MBTA has apparently issued a request for interest in developing air rights above Quincy center station. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

• Release Date: July 11, 2017
  • Questions & Answers Conference Call: July 13, 2017
  • Site Tour: July 19, 2017
  • RFI Responses Due: July 31, 2017
  • RFP Release: August 14, 2017
  • Proposals Due: September 25, 2017

quincymapBLDUP.jpg

Curbed

MBTA Realty

The MBTA has apparently issued a request for interest in developing air rights above Quincy center station. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

• Release Date: July 11, 2017
  • Questions & Answers Conference Call: July 13, 2017
  • Site Tour: July 19, 2017
  • RFI Responses Due: July 31, 2017
  • RFP Release: August 14, 2017
  • Proposals Due: September 25, 2017

quincymapBLDUP.jpg

Curbed

MBTA Realty

What an incredible opportunity. Literally on top of rapid transit and commuter rail (as well as easy bus access). It's a good chunk of centrally located land too. I'm fascinated to see what comes of this.

The section directly above the tracks--if covered--could be a nice spot for a set of rowhouses. Its just an odd spot with a graveyard right behind it, but Burgin Parkway isn't really an inviting street for ground retail. Probably residences above the garage itself, or offices, or a mix probably. Its a weird spot since its somewhat disconnected from the center, but it can definitely handle increased density.

I'm a big fan of Quincy and can't quite figure out why the city seems to be unable to get going. If the MBTA can get some condo units above Quincy Center I would be very interested in buying down there.

I'm a big fan of Quincy and can't quite figure out why the city seems to be unable to get going. If the MBTA can get some condo units above Quincy Center I would be very interested in buying down there.

Given how much is being developed right now, I'd say that the city *is* getting going.

Seems like a very ambitious plan :)
The Quincy mayor is proving to be quite aggressive by calling for as much development as the City can muster-perhaps taking advantage of the current construction wave happening there. BTW Once upon a time I used to live over Adams street- just few blocks away from QC red line- and quite frankly is the very transport hub that disrupts the whole area- so If there is a plan to transform it into a much urban-friendly structure- I'm all for it.

Quincy considers requiring roads money from developers
They're looking to establish a fund to collect a 1% fee against a developer's construction costs for traffic and parking. It will be a home-rule petition, so it could take a while to get through state gov't. Could any of this money go to mass transit improvements?

Being that it is being brought by the city council, why would this have to go through the state government? (Sorry for the lack of understanding the politics of it all)

I think this would be an amazing thing. Granted there will be opposition in terms of people saying the builders will pass this cost along to the residents. But lets be honest, 1% of these developments really isn't gonna be a huge difference, most people prolly wouldn't see it. More to your question though, I would tend to doubt this would help the MBTA at all, mainly due the T is subsidized by the state and these monies would be going to the city. My hope would be that these monies could help promote Bike and Pedestrian infrastructure more than car

Being that it is being brought by the city council, why would this have to go through the state government? (Sorry for the lack of understanding the politics of it all)

The MA legislature doesn't allow towns/cities to impose their own taxes. They have to submit "home rule" petitioned articles for passage at the state level. Lately the legislature hasn't been passing revenue-related home rule petitions, though.

Provincetown, for example, for many years has repeatedly requested home rule for a 0.5% real estate transfer tax (like Nantucket has) and a tax for short-term rentals (to address the Airbnb loophole), but they haven't made it out of committee at the state house.

At FMCB meeting today, MBTA announces that they received two responses to the Quincy Center TOD RFP. Preference is for a collaboration that includes the owners of an adjacent site -three phases, three buildings:

Phase 1A) Bus terminal moves across the site to Burgin Parkway/over the station.

Phase 1B) Apartment building on the site of the current bus terminal and the adjacent site (the lighter-colored parking lot to the NE).

Phase 2) Office (TBD) building over the tracks south of the station.

The station would be all at one level. The bus terminal will be raised to the ground level on the east side of the tracks. If the developer fails to do Phase 2, the MBTA would retain relevant air rights.

There's no full-screen option on the FMCB site, so we'll need to wait for them to post the slides to post here, and I may be a little off on some stuff... but that's the gist.

At FMCB meeting today, MBTA announces that they received two responses to the Quincy Center TOD RFP. Preference is for a collaboration that includes the owners of an adjacent site -three phases, three buildings:

Phase 1A) Bus terminal moves across the site to Burgin Parkway/over the station.

Phase 1B) Apartment building on the site of the current bus terminal and the adjacent site (the lighter-colored parking lot to the NE).

Phase 2) Office (TBD) building over the tracks south of the station.

The station would be all at one level. The bus terminal will be raised to the ground level on the east side of the tracks. If the developer fails to do Phase 2, the MBTA would retain relevant air rights.

There's no full-screen option on the FMCB site, so we'll need to wait for them to post the slides to post here, and I may be a little off on some stuff... but that's the gist.
If you click on the Watch on Livestream link in the video player, it will take you to the actual MBTA Livestream.com account, where you can watch full screen.

NOTE: FIRST PROPOSAL BY JAG IS NOT PREFERRED. PREFERRED IS TOD PARTNERS.

G8x5t97.png

krRqoq0.png

b5YP2iu.png

pX3bvBD.png

xXJVg6P.png

GOneTQ4.png

yX3pGYZ.png

601fyEc.png

So Quincy has opted for the most ambitious master plan!

Awesome!!

So Quincy has opted for the most ambitious master plan!

Awesome!!

Quincy has not, yet. This is the MBTA Real Estate Dept recommendation. The FMCB will vote to begin the 180-day due diligence period in which all invested parties will determine if the project is acceptable/feasible, which will include the City of Quincy per the South Shore Extension contract signed in the 70s.

Back