Quincy Market Update/Renovation | Faneuil Hall Marketplace | Downtown

Even glass boxes need service and back of house. Hard to choose a side when there is no "front" or "back"

cca

Even glass boxes need service and back of house. Hard to choose a side when there is no "front" or "back"

cca

Agreed. They could have just put metal panels instead of the glass for the BOH function areas, but they didn't. They kept the glass consistent and used an attractive design, which I think is commendable.

I assume the only reason the back of the house stuff couldn't have been kept in the center in a box-in-a-box design would be loss prevention?

I assume the only reason the back of the house stuff couldn't have been kept in the center in a box-in-a-box design would be loss prevention?

Yeah, LP is definitely a concern, but that layout in general isn't very functional for this program. Creates pinchpoints for circulation. Really puts a damper on an "open floor plan" aesthetically.

Have to take in deliveries and take out the trash/packing boxes somewhere -- usually not through the front of house.

Shame. I get that they are doing the best they can but it's still a disappointment.

A restaurant with a kitchen and bar in the center would have been an awesome use for this building. Que sera.

Shame. I get that they are doing the best they can but it's still a disappointment.

A restaurant with a kitchen and bar in the center would have been an awesome use for this building. Que sera.

+1 With an open concept---for the surrounding area.

And it can still be that. The structure is great. The filling might not be what we want, but we'll see how Sephora does. If they're not successful, they can vacate and Ashkenazy can find a different tenant or public use.

This sort of a structure would have made a very appealing visitor's center.

I guess I'm in the minority, but although I'm not thrilled with the use, I think the structure itself is pretty great.

The structure is fine. I just wish the developer could have found a better tenant. But it wasn't built on my dime, so I don't get a say.

Whatever happened to the plan to turn the South Market into a hotel?

33813647271_744b4d74bb_b.jpg

33943788095_70dcb9e2f1_b.jpg

33786304372_73026c4172_b.jpg

33943787255_a8cdb84591_b.jpg

33786300742_d77a10740e_b.jpg

like the building, hate the use.

Have to agree. Wasn't part of the deal with changing the management company for Quincy Market about getting more local retail. Instead we get a mall store prominently displayed on the plaza.

Back