Quincy Market Update/Renovation | Faneuil Hall Marketplace | Downtown

The answer to 'Why Sephora?' may be found in the square foot rent price. Not for nothing that department stores located their beauty/cosmetic aisles at the most prominent location in the store.

Will Sephora be the only tenant in this space? Hopefully something more interesting goes alongside it?

It looks like it's the only tenant. The whole thing is wrapped in Sephora signage. Sephora actually gets pretty big in flagship locations. Obviously I'm not thrilled that I know that, but I do know that.

Today I learned that Sephora is owned by "LVMH" - Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy - of fashion, champagne, and congnac fame. LVMH also controls subsidiaries such as Dom Perignon, Belvedere, TAG Heuer, Bulgari, Hublot, and many more; and it is in turn primarily owned by Christian Dior.

Who knew that every luxury brand in Continental Europe were all part of the same conglomerate?

Today I learned that Sephora is owned by "LVMH" - Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy - of fashion, champagne, and congnac fame. LVMH also controls subsidiaries such as Dom Perignon, Belvedere, TAG Heuer, Bulgari, Hublot, and many more; and it is in turn primarily owned by Christian Dior.

Who knew that every luxury brand in Continental Europe were all part of the same conglomerate?

Six big conglomerates control much of the luxury brands industry:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/buzz-...orations-control-the-luxury-fashion-industry/

LVMH
Kering
Richemont
PUIG
Labelux
OTB

Yeah it looks like temporary wrapping while they build out the inside (based on my walk-by a couple days ago).

But seriously, what a waste of a beautifully done little building in a prime location. Uggh.

It does seem like an odd location for a Sephora new construction retail store.

I assume that's a small emergency exit facing towards congress st?

Is the only active entrance on the custom-house-facing corner?

Yeah it looks like temporary wrapping while they build out the inside (based on my walk-by a couple days ago).

But seriously, what a waste of a beautifully done little building in a prime location. Uggh.

+10000000

This is very anti-climatic indeed. This could have been a very cool space for.. pretty much anything besides a Sephora. Pretty disappointing.

Hmm.. This must be how TheRifleman feels about the Seaport over in the Innovation District thread

I'm waiting for some operator to make Quincy market unique, to give locals a reason to venture there frequently. This doesn't seem like the way forward but more of the same. The current retail model doesn't seem sustainable in the long term

The current retail model doesn't seem sustainable in the long term

Really? Because the current retail model appears to me to be the same as when I went as a 6 year old child some 35 years ago. Isn't it one of the most visited tourist spots in the country? There appears to be little incentive to reinvent this area to attract locals as tourists alike although the company that runs it has been claiming for years that they were going to make changes to appeal to locals.

I'm waiting for some operator to make Quincy market unique, to give locals a reason to venture there frequently. This doesn't seem like the way forward but more of the same. The current retail model doesn't seem sustainable in the long term

Serious question: How does one design this so that locals want to go there frequently?

Really? Because the current retail model appears to me to be the same as when I went as a 6 year old child some 35 years ago. Isn't it one of the most visited tourist spots in the country? There appears to be little incentive to reinvent this area to attract locals as tourists alike although the company that runs it has been claiming for years that they were going to make changes to appeal to locals.
10th most popular in the entire country.

Serious question: How does one design this so that locals want to go there frequently?

If the food were more affordable, locals would go. The comedy club was a nice draw too for locals & tourists alike, but that's gone. Key is a mix of uses. Heck, maybe even housing on top of Marketplace Center.

Sephora in a few years when all the units + big towers fill in; lines out the door.

Can't imagine retail won't be seeing more scandalous upgrades from Back Bay to Downtown.

This is officially hideous. I can't even begin to describe how bad it is, or how obvious it is that they took the money and said fuck it.

I might start and say that as a Bostonian, I certainly will not be going to Faneuil Hall to shop at this place.

But anything else I have to say about this development is certainly not appropriate. I would actually rather wear Sephora so that they wouldn't put a store there.

How on Earth could the city approve this?Where were all the NIMBY'S when we needed them?I guess as long as it is not over 20' high you can build whatever the hell you want.

This is officially hideous. I can't even begin to describe how bad it is, or how obvious it is that they took the money and said fuck it.

I might start and say that as a Bostonian, I certainly will not be going to Faneuil Hall to shop at this place.

But anything else I have to say about this development is certainly not appropriate. I would actually rather wear Sephora so that they wouldn't put a store there.

How on Earth could the city approve this?Where were all the NIMBY'S when we needed them?I guess as long as it is not over 20' high you can build whatever the hell you want.

You guys, this is temporary. Settle down...

Back