Quincy Market Update/Renovation | Faneuil Hall Marketplace | Downtown

Re: Update Planned for Faneuil Hall

Saus is secretly one of the best places in the entire city, especially considering the quality you get at that price point in that location. Boston should have 1000 more Saus's.

A big Saus with a bar and more seating would be an amazing way for them to get locals down to Faneiul. Perhaps invite some of the better food trucks to set up small fixed locations at the Quincy Market food court stalls. Saus and trips to Gap and the like for basics were pretty much the only reason I ever spend money there.

I'M NOT THE ONLY SAUS LOVER HERE! Favorite restaurant in the entire city. I would also love to see them expand; Quincy Market would be a great place for that.

Boston Globe - June 04, 2015
Boston Globe said:
Plan for Faneuil Hall makeover runs into resistance

The company that operates Faneuil Hall Marketplace is learning just how tough it can be to tinker with history.

Last year, Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp. unveiled its plan for the iconic Boston property:
a dramatic makeover designed to make it more of a year-round destination and a magnet for a broader array of visitors.

But those plans are running into resistance as a number of tenants — many of them waiting for new leases and worried about their future — refuse to buy into Ashkenazy’s vision. They now have an important ally: the woman who helped redesign the three-building complex in the 1970s.

Rather than making the market more accessible, Ashkenazy’s critics fear the changes will turn the quirky labyrinth of vendors, visited by some 20 million people each year, into another high-end mall geared to rich shoppers.

The battle over Faneuil Hall’s future came to a crucial point last week at the Boston Landmarks Commission. The critics walked away with two key victories. The commission denied plans for two new glass enclosures alongside the marketplace’s central Quincy Market building and delayed for 90 days the demolition of a vacant greenhouse on the edge of the property.

“The public realm is going away with these changes,” said Jane Thompson, a Boston designer who helped create the modern Faneuil Hall Marketplace along with her late husband, architect Benjamin Thompson. “This will not be a market anymore. This will not be a landmark anymore.”

Even Ashkenazy’s critics would agree with the New York company on this point: The nearly 350,000-square-foot complex has grown a bit tired over the four decades since its 1970s rebirth, and could use some rejuvenation. But the merchants worry their concerns aren’t being considered by Ashkenazy, and that many will be kicked out for good.

“We could use the upgrades,” said Carol Troxell, co-owner of four stores at the marketplace and president of the Faneuil Hall Marketplace Merchants Association. “We just want to make sure the local merchants have a place here. . . . We are just worried there would be too many national [chains] coming.”

Ashkenazy says it plans to pump $40 million to $60 million into renovations over several years. The company has won Landmarks Commission approvals to replace many of the cobblestones with flat pieces of granite, to make the ground easier for walking, and to install an outdoor deck in front of the South Market building. And construction is underway on a new ground-floor entrance at Quincy Market to draw shoppers into a second-floor space that will be occupied by the Japanese apparel retailer Uniqlo.

Barry Lustig, executive vice president at Ashkenazy, said he doesn’t want to mess with what makes Faneuil Hall special. He said the amount of space dedicated to local businesses would decrease only minimally, during the next year or two. And he said he has no plans to raise the rents on the tenants that remain, at least not until a substantive growth in foot traffic can justify an increase.

“It would be foolish of us to remove what makes Faneuil Hall important today, which are the local merchants, the local flair,” Lustig said.

There are big plans in the works for the property. A reworking of the Quincy Market food court. A new glass-enclosed store — possibly a Sephora — replacing the existing greenhouse. A nearly 200-room hotel in the South Market building.

“We see them gentrifying the marketplace, so as to accommodate only the wealthy,” said Philip Loheed, an architect who worked with the Thompsons to design the marketplace in the 1970s.

But there are more city approvals needed. Ashkenazy doesn’t own the marketplace property. Instead, the company has owned a master lease with the city since 2011. Partly because of the city’s ownership, the Boston Redevelopment Authority plans to scrutinize Ashkenazy’s master plan.

BRA officials say they want to referee some sort of truce between Ashkenazy and the unhappy tenants, many of whom had complaints under the previous management company, as well. Ashkenazy will also be asked to defend its plan for the property at the authority’s July 16 meeting.

The Landmarks Commission has been approving these changes on a piecemeal basis. But the BRA wants to review everything at once.

Mayor Martin J. Walsh “is committed to preserving the character and historic nature of Faneuil Hall, while creating an area that is accessible and attractive for both Boston’s residents and visitors and continues to fuel Boston’s tourism sector,” spokeswoman Bonnie McGilpin said.

Boston architect Howard Elkus said that his firm, Elkus Manfredi Architects, deliberately designed flexible new outbuildings that could provide an open-air experience in the warmer months and be enclosed with glass during the colder months. The marketplace suffers in the winter, he said, as tourism traffic slows.

“The whole thought is to try and change that equation and to really try to make this entire place a year-round, active ingredient of Boston’s daily life,” Elkus said.

But Thomas Kershaw, owner of the Cheers bar and store at Quincy Market, isn’t pleased with what he’s seen so far. One of the glass structures that was denied by the Landmarks Commission would have blocked views of his restaurant, and construction on the Uniqlo entrance has disrupted traffic to his souvenir store.

“These architects are one thing,” Kershaw said. “[But] people like myself who run businesses . . . down there have a different perspective of what’s going on there.”

Jeff Allen has sold pewter goods made by local artisans at the marketplace for 36 years. But he’s not sure how much longer that will last: The Boston Pewter Co. owner’s lease expired in March. The new management has yet to grant him another lease, and he’s renting on a month-to-month basis, he said.

Harry Haralabatos, the owner of Aris BBQ in Quincy Market, also worries about the type of marketplace that Faneuil Hall will become under Ashkenazy’s continued management.

“They’re overzealous with what they want to do,” he said. “They’re just tearing things down and making it another Mall of America.”

Boston Globe - July 7, 2015

Boston Globe said:
Merchants, tour guides express concern on Faneuil Hall makeover

By Taryn Luna Globe Correspondent July 08, 2015

Longtime merchants, tour guides, and others peppered the operator of Faneuil Hall Marketplace with questions about a plan to make over the property at a public meeting on Tuesday.

City officials had arranged the meeting in an effort to defuse tensions between the landlord and merchants who have resisted the planned changes.

Some who attended expressed concerns about the future of several merchants at the historic site and about a lack of public input in the project, among other issues.

“I don’t think the developer and the architect understand the DNA of Boston,” said Marilee Meyer, an architectural historian from Cambridge. “How can the public affect this project, or is it so far down the road that developers from out of town dictate what happens to Boston culture?”

The marketplace is owned by the City of Boston, which leases North Market, South Market, and Quincy Market to Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp., a New York real estate company. The city receives a quarter of the rent paid by tenants.

Ashkenazy last year unveiled the controversial proposal to overhaul the iconic but dated Boston landmark. The company intends to replace the food court in Quincy Market with a more modern assortment of restaurants, bars, and quick-service eateries.

It also plans to add a boutique hotel in the South Market.

Some of the current merchants say Ashkenazy has not been forthcoming about details of the renovation and are concerned that the company intends to replace their businesses with national chains.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority has intervened in recent months, holding private meetings with Ashkenazy and the merchants in an attempt to bridge the gap.

It asked Ashkenazy to present its master plan in detail at the meeting Tuesday evening to clear the air.

“We obviously noticed the relationship wasn’t what it really should be,” said Nick Martin, a BRA spokesman. “We’re trying to mediate a discussion.”

Vincent Frattura, the owner of North End Bakery, said many of the merchants would become cheerleaders of the plan if Ashkenazy offered them long-term leases to ensure their place in the reimagined market.

“There’s people out here shaking in their boots because they don’t know if they’ll have a job tomorrow,” Frattura said during the meeting. “No one can look us in the eye and promise us anything.”

Several tour guides said they worried a new mix of restaurants would be too pricey for tourists, forcing the guide companies to take their groups elsewhere.

Earlier in the evening, Ashkenazy officials sought to reassure tenants the company wanted to work with them to develop new spaces that show off more of the architecture of the building, instead of the standard food stalls that now line the walls.

The company said it is also working with 13 tenants to offer one-year leases. The tenants were previously operating on a month-to-month basis.

“The strength of the market is that it’s local Boston merchants,” said Barry Lustig, executive vice president at Ashkenazy. “Those merchants who are there today will be there tomorrow.”

Lustig said the BRA-mediated conversations have improved the tenor of talks with the merchants in recent months. Carol Troxell, president of the Faneuil Hall Merchants Association, agreed.

“We’re making strong headway with these leases,” Troxell said. “Over the last month we’ve resumed conversations with Ashkenazy, and that’s a big step.”

Ashkenazy had presented only pieces of the plan at public meetings before the Boston Landmarks Commission, which must approve changes that affect the historical nature of the property. Last month, the commission denied plans for two new glass structures and delayed demolition of a greenhouse near the front of the property.

The BRA will weigh in on the project after Ashkenazy presents the master plan to the agency’s board on July 16.

Mayor Martin J. Walsh has not taken a public stance on the conflict between the marketplace operator and the merchants. A spokeswoman said the mayor is committed to preserving the character and historic nature of Faneuil Hall, while creating an area that appeals to residents and visitors.

Taryn Luna can be reached at taryn.luna@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @TarynLuna.

Several tour guides said they worried a new mix of restaurants would be too pricey for tourists, forcing the guide companies to take their groups elsewhere.
Absolutely accurate. Getting rid of the Quincy Market food court is the dumbest idea you could propose. Since its inception, Quincy Market has always been a place for commoners to come and get food, once a grocery market, now a food court that serves the millions that visit it each year. Replace it with high end restaurants and bars and you have severely limited capacity and simply drive tourists away from spending time & money there.

Dumping the food court is like 'take it to the streets' protest worthy. It's mind numbingly idiotic and would be a huge blow to the city.

Absolutely accurate. Getting rid of the Quincy Market food court is the dumbest idea you could propose. Since its inception, Quincy Market has always been a place for commoners to come and get food, once a grocery market, now a food court that serves the millions that visit it each year. Replace it with high end restaurants and bars and you have severely limited capacity and simply drive tourists away from spending time & money there.

Dumping the food court is like 'take it to the streets' protest worthy. It's mind numbingly idiotic and would be a huge blow to the city.

You've both left me scratching my head. Not too far up this thread the discussion was entirely about how amazing it would be for locals to have a reason to go to Quincy Market for a change. Now taking away the tourist traps is a riot-worthy travesty.

archBoston isn't one voice. There are often differing opinions. This is just another example.

I wonder, even with extensive updates, if Boston residents would ever frequent Faneuil Hall?

Maybe it's been a tourist trap for too long, but it just isn't a desirable place to travel to on a weekend or weekday night. Especially compared with dining and entertainment options in Back Bay, South End, Fenway, Seaport, etc.

My Faneuil Hall growing up was always a mix of tourist food court and spots for locals. Frog Lane, Salty Dog, Tex Mex, Schmick's, and then later I enjoyed places like Toad Hall.
The food court is simply great though. It has a festive marketplace vibe and above all the options are all unique to the city, region and the specific building. You won't find many of those places elsewhere. It's part of Boston's stamp, and these assclowns at Ashkenazy have the brilliant idea of getting rid of it? Mind numbing.

Every time I go to the food court for lunch as someone who works downtown, I'm always disappointed. Most of the food is mediocre and overpriced. We can do better.

Every time I go to the food court for lunch as someone who works downtown, I'm always disappointed. Most of the food is mediocre and overpriced. We can do better.

Have you told them you're a local worker? Built up a relationship with the staff? It works. Second one takes time, but it absolutely pays off.

Also, I don't understand this obsession with "getting locals" (in large numbers) to go there. It's just inherently not conducive to a local experience and that is OK. It doesn't have to be. It is one of the most successful tourist destinations in the entire US.

That food court is expendable....food sucks, it's dirty, rodents...who cares about the tourists. They'll be down there regardless.

I want something new better shiny!

What's so bad about having a food court there? It's pretty nice - you go in and get your food and then sit on a bench, or a stoop outside and enjoy your food and people watch. Sure the food is not top quality, but it's more than passable.

Every city has its tourist traps, what's so harmful about that? If it gets people into the city and spending money, how is that a bad thing? Between May and October you will always see several buses parked behind the Hard Rock Cafe and plenty of people seem to be just fine with the food court.

I would like to see more open air bars added to it though.

I wonder, even with extensive updates, if Boston residents would ever frequent Faneuil Hall?

Maybe it's been a tourist trap for too long, but it just isn't a desirable place to travel to on a weekend or weekday night. Especially compared with dining and entertainment options in Back Bay, South End, Fenway, Seaport, etc.

As a resident I can't really ever see going to Fanuiel Hall even with different venues. The place has a tainted vibe now and quite honestly it's not like it is the only game in town for food, drink and entertainment.

Zuma in the basement of the North Market Bldg is great. Good food, cheap margs and just a fun time. I know lots of locals that go there.

Last edited:
I work in Harvard Square, which is arguably the #2 tourist trap in the region after Quincy Market. Somehow we manage to have a nice combination of tourist schlock and serviceable options for locals: Russell House Tavern, Alden & Harlow, Sinclair.

Why can't they bring some of that to Faneuil?

How are those places less touristy than say Ames Plow and Ned Devine's?

I think people just think of them as touristy because of where they are. If you pulled them out and dropped them somewhere like Broad St, they would fit right in.

(Dick's and Cheers are legit tourist traps though)

Back