Quincy Market Update/Renovation | Faneuil Hall Marketplace | Downtown

How are those places less touristy than say Ames Plow and Ned Devine's?

I think people just think of them as touristy because of where they are. If you pulled them out and dropped them somewhere like Broad St, they would fit right in.

(Dick's and Cheers are legit tourist traps though)

The presence of clam chowder and a kid's menu are more or less the definition of a tourist oriented restaurant.

It is incomprehensible to compare the Ames Plow or Ned Devine's to the ones KJ mentioned in any way other to say they are all restaurants.

Orienting a marquee historic property downtown to cheap schlock is a waste. It's old-school cynicism about the desirability of living and spending one's time in a city. Sure, in the 70s and 80s that might have seemed smart, but with urban areas booming across the country, do we want to advertise Boston as the city that filled it's historic market with crappy, overpriced chains? You don't need tourist traps to attract tourists - the average American is far more savvy these days anyhow. Build a place for the residents and the tourists will come.

Orienting a marquee historic property downtown to cheap schlock is a waste. It's old-school cynicism about the desirability of living and spending one's time in a city. Sure, in the 70s and 80s that might have seemed smart, but with urban areas booming across the country, do we want to advertise Boston as the city that filled it's historic market with crappy, overpriced chains? You don't need tourist traps to attract tourists - the average American is far more savvy these days anyhow. Build a place for the residents and the tourists will come.

Well put.

My views may be skewed but there are pieces of each opposing argument I agree with wholeheartedly. I worked in the marketplace through college waiting tables and loved hanging with locals/industry folk/drunk tourists in Ames Plow after each shift. Many years removed, I have friends who I had introduced to this specific watering hole long ago who still work downtown (I do no longer) that go there several nights weekly to patronize one of several familiar bartenders. Building rapport, as suggested above, goes a long way in making things more affordable ;). Same goes for the vendors in the Bull Market/Food court -- it may be specifically for fellows in the trade, but locals are far from absent or underserved here.

HOWEVER, aside from getting my grease or MSG fix, the food of many QM vendors aren't the best bargain for the quality. Convenience, though? Totally worth it. I would love a spot clean (to an extent) over the whole property, but I'll take the dirty mix currently in place over Frost Ice Bar in a second.

Quincy Market needs a moderate aesthetic updating but not a top-down overhaul. I'm looking at the Seaport to have what they are proposing here in terms of swank/luxury offerings and "new" tastes. I hate the street performers for the years of tips they've stolen from me, but I still made enough money on their account from the international tourists they attracted.

If you hop off a jet and come to Quincy Market, like a surprising majority of European and Asian tourists do, you see something unique. Put a bunch of upscale craft cocktail bars and tasting tables on the second floor of the central market and you could be anywhere in the world.

I'm not saying let the price-gougers gouge, but let's let New Boston take place in the Seaport, which needs an identity. Quincy Market has one that is working pretty damn well, though it needs a spot clean.

I work in Harvard Square, which is arguably the #2 tourist trap in the region after Quincy Market. Somehow we manage to have a nice combination of tourist schlock and serviceable options for locals: Russell House Tavern, Alden & Harlow, Sinclair.

Why can't they bring some of that to Faneuil?

Interesting analogy, Mr. Donovan, but I think the varieties of the tourist experience in Harvard Sq. versus Faneuil Hall are just too dissimilar to make a meaningful comparison.

Faneuil Hall is part of the Freedom Trail/Cheers/Aquarium/Fenway Park circuit, which is overflowing with literally hundreds of pushcart vendors catering to the tourists needs to commemorate that. It is Baw-stin, pure and simple. The proverbial obese Midwesterners with fanny packs, but also folks from all over the globe. The atmosphere is "American Revolution and freedom forever! We kicked those Brits' asses!" and the crowds are correspondingly boisterous, as they should be.

Harvard Square seems more busloads of mainly Asian tourists coming to respectfully and dutifully venerate at the campus itself and its potent symbolism representing the pinnacle of American intellectual/research achievement and the awesome international brand that is Harvard. Needless to say, no pushcart vendors, which seems significant to me.

To that end, what tourist schlock is there in Harvard Sq. other than Bartleby's? Unless you mean the big-box chain stores, but they're everywhere, of course, how are they necessarily "tourist-y"?

Re: Update Planned for Faneuil Hall

Zuma in the basement of the North Market Bldg is great. Good food, cheap margs and just a fun time. I know lots of locals that go there.

Agreed. And it's been there forever.

A New York analogy. We should be building Union Square, not Times Square from Quincy Market. The best urban places are ones that attract both locals and the masses of tourists - they are the places with real character.

Re: Update Planned for Faneuil Hall

As a resident I can't really ever see going to Fanuiel Hall even with different venues. The place has a tainted vibe now and quite honestly it's not like it is the only game in town for food, drink and entertainment.

Honestly, why on earth would they want to attract locals?????

Tourists spend far more per unit than a local does.

Sorry to break it to you, but they probably would want to keep locals away - - they just get in the way of the tourists.

You've both left me scratching my head. Not too far up this thread the discussion was entirely about how amazing it would be for locals to have a reason to go to Quincy Market for a change. Now taking away the tourist traps is a riot-worthy travesty.

Food Courts are the topic that will finally pull ArchBoston apart. Who would have guessed?

Character of place is not ... .and can never be built. It is aggregated over time. Layers and layers of use, history and re-use. Want character? Go where lots of things have happened for a long time around lots of people.

If you try to design it ... you will fail. Always.

cca

An honest question I have is, how is Faneuil Hall marketed to tourists? It's foot traffic is very heavy but most people before they arrive probably don't know much about the place. It's not exactly the Statue of Liberty. What do guidebooks and general word of mouth say about it for visitors?

I had a British gentleman stop me in the middle of downtown Quincy last week, travel guide in hand, asking for directions to the market. He failed to notice that his GPS was taking him to the similarly named convenience store. Clearly, folks abroad know about it (presumably via the travel guide); getting there appears to be a whole other issue.

Absolutely no one (outside of metro Boston) has heard of Quincy Market or Faneuil Hall. I'm sure it is mentioned in every guide book on Boston, but the Freedom Trail is the actual attraction. The Freedom Trail brings people to Boston and ultimately to the market.

Absolutely no one (outside of metro Boston) has heard of Quincy Market or Faneuil Hall. I'm sure it is mentioned in every guide book on Boston, but the Freedom Trail is the actual attraction. The Freedom Trail brings people to Boston and ultimately to the market.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-guide/boston

See the very first bullet under "Things Not to Miss in Boston ." Note the absence of the phrase "Freedom Trail."

http://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-guide/boston

See the very first bullet under "Things Not to Miss in Boston ." Note the absence of the phrase "Freedom Trail."

Fine, your anecdotal evidence is as good as mine. But I'm standing by my position.

Ask your out of town/state/country friends what Faneuil Hall is. Heck, ask a Bostonian which building is actually Faneuil Hall. When you get tired of getting blank stares, ask about the Freedom Trail and watch their face light up - "Oh! the red line through historic Boston!"

The Freedom Trail is memorable and has national (though probably not global) brand recognition. Faneuil/Quincy Market barely has recognition outside of 128.

I had a British gentleman stop me in the middle of downtown Quincy last week, travel guide in hand, asking for directions to the market. He failed to notice that his GPS was taking him to the similarly named convenience store. Clearly, folks abroad know about it (presumably via the travel guide); getting there appears to be a whole other issue.

Happened to my wife when she was a kid with her family - pre-GPS days. They saw the expressway exit for Quincy and went looking.

Is there any potential for development of storefronts on the Chatham St. Side?

And I feel like Godiva is doing terribly in Quincy Market. I went in the other day with my Italian coworker's family visiting from Italy and it was completely empty. Honestly, I hope they go under. Don't get me wrong, the product is OK; but the price is high and it's so not a Boston product. The space would be excellent for another cafe or small restaurant (Saus... Please let it be Saus).

Is there any potential for development of storefronts on the Chatham St. Side?

And I feel like Godiva is doing terribly in Quincy Market. I went in the other day with my Italian coworker's family visiting from Italy and it was completely empty. Honestly, I hope they go under. Don't get me wrong, the product is OK; but the price is high and it's so not a Boston product. The space would be excellent for another cafe or small restaurant (Saus... Please let it be Saus).

Godiva in the South Market is gone. I think you mean Ghirardelli in the North Market. $10 for a sundae (albeit DAMN GOOD) is just not going to bring in the crowds.

Fine, your anecdotal evidence is as good as mine. But I'm standing by my position.

Ask your out of town/state/country friends what Faneuil Hall is. Heck, ask a Bostonian which building is actually Faneuil Hall. When you get tired of getting blank stares, ask about the Freedom Trail and watch their face light up - "Oh! the red line through historic Boston!"

The Freedom Trail is memorable and has national (though probably not global) brand recognition. Faneuil/Quincy Market barely has recognition outside of 128.

Not to be a dick here, but dude you have some weird friends. I know people in Boston who wouldn't know what the flying fuck the Freedom Trail is let alone the ones who live in other states.

I'd say most of them know what Faneuil Hall is and where it is.

Back