Radian (Dainty Dot) | 120 Kingston Street | Chinatown

Re: 120 Kingston, 29 Story Tower in Chinatown

268_zps5c92a6de.jpg
[/URL]

267_zps0b583ae5.jpg

michael-scott-no.gif

Honestly, I think most of the precast looks alright or even nice. But this side looks terrible to me.

Sitting in traffic out in Watertown and I couldn't believe what my eyes spied!

9405770848_b9f013486b_b.jpg

I so so so want to... like... the glass curtain wall, but I just can't right now.

I bet gold glass, like on the facade of the Trump Hotel in Las Vegas, would've looked breath-taking on that curve. I've always admired the ambitiousness some developers take to compensate for one of their projects falling short height-wise or location-wise. The Trump Hotel in LV is off the main strip, but its golden windows really catch the eye. Or the Bank of America Tower in Miami (I think it's called the Miami Tower now) wasn't going to be the tallest, so its owner decided to flood the entire thing in bright neon lights that change colors every night and are still a defining feature on the skyline.

Right now this is the "little guy" on such a prominent parcel... they should be taking full advantage of this opportunity in any way they can. Hopefully that's why they're holding out on the chamfered corner at Essex & Kingston.

^ the renders i have show this thing being lit up like a christmas tree at night.

^ the renders i have show this thing being lit up like a christmas tree at night.

Pretty much any building looks fantastic at night. That's why you see so many night renders. It's an industry trick. The real test is during the day.

Didn't the original design have a tinted bronze/gold facade on the Greenway side?

Pretty much any building looks fantastic at night. That's why you see so many night renders. It's an industry trick. The real test is during the day.

yea thats well established by now, what he said was it would be nice if it was lit up at night and I said that as of now it is going to be.

What I meant by lit up at night was like this:

miami-tower6-648x538.jpg

Miami-Tower3.jpg

Miami_Tower.jpeg

Similar curve, highly visible, not the tallest, and still easily identifiable.

Miami Tower is also over twice as tall as this one (exact same height as our upcoming Filenes and Copley Place towers), and was the second tallest on the skyline for almost 20 years. The building is amazing.

Nobody would ever mistaken this new building we are getting as amazing.

Unfair to judge before it is fully completed, but right now it's looking like another nail in Menino's dismal architectural legacy.

Unfair to judge before it is fully completed, but right now it's looking like another nail in Menino's dismal architectural legacy.

This development looks like another POS. We will see when the windows are full but it looks pathetic.

Do these architect have any imagination anymore? Just another standard building in Boston. I wouldn't even consider these buildings fillers anymore just plain garbage.

This development looks like another POS. We will see when the windows are full but it looks pathetic.

Do these architect have any imagination anymore? Just another standard building in Boston.

Just another standard building in Boston I will agree with you, but POS is a bit of a stretch. The curve is better than a generic box, also the curve will mostly be glass wall instead of cheap precast. Another plus is the yet to be built crown with a lighting effect.

And we lost the Dainty Dot for this?

Ugh, please don't remind. I was just starting to warm up to this thing.

Much as I liked the old Dainty Dot, the facade that would have been preserved in the original proposal had no depth tp set it off from the new building, and I suspect the result would have been even more awkward then the Embassy of Mexico and the Embassy of Spain, within four blocks of each other. Mexico is a particularly grotesque facadectomy.

487091-Large.jpg

mexBldgDC.jpg

2683029989_9dedf28436.jpg

I don't know why you're looking to Mexico for examples of how it may have been when you could've looked a block away to 125 Summer St. which is more appropriate and certainly as bad. Or, for a more recent example, maybe you could've looked a few blocks the other way to Russia Wharf...eh, I mean Atlantic Wharf.

Regardless, the comparison seems disingenuous.

Back