Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

^No, I share your same feelings. Not to mention, it's such a huge void at the mall entrance, both in terms of skyline and urbanity.

I keep hoping and checking the Web each day to see if a developer is going to purchase the plans and build it.

Absolutely. Proposals come and go / us enthusiasts temper our excitement and move on from our disappointments - but that one was different. Nothing else has stung as much.

Absolutely. Proposals come and go / us enthusiasts temper our excitement and move on from our disappointments - but that one was different. Nothing else has stung as much.

+1 if Copley Tower isn't built as proposed it will be the biggest disappointment yet, in a city that has no shortage of disappointing outcomes.

I also think of 1000 Boylston .....which may have had a better chance at reaching ~700' if the first proposal had exceeded the height of the JHT by say a good fifty feet.... then they could have offered to sack the 2nd tower for a green patch to keep most of the height.

So i mark Copley Tower, 1000 Boylston's lack of a future 'iconic' presence, and the failure of the BPDA to quietly oversee improvements of the podium and design of 1 Bromfield as 3 very lousy outcomes that really would have made a tremendous impact to the skyline and urban makeup of Boston on three of the best sites to support this scale of density. ...if we're honest, where are you going to make up for that loss of 'impact?'

Add current permitting in the West End, Winthrop Sq, SST, Harbor Garage and a few other highrises from the Leather District to the Fenway and Kenmore.... would have been INSANE.....

Speaking of disappointing and getting back on topic, will this building include the demolition of the YWCA or just the shorter attached building? I hate to lose any of them as it slowly whittles away the character of our city.

Unfortunately as Odurandina points out, each no-brainer proposal that gets canceled or downsized forces us to fill the demand elsewhere, like here. There is nothing more hypocritical than a preservationist NIMBY, as the latter ultimately precludes the former.

Count me among those who hope this tower does NOT get built, along with the bubble Hancock. Let's fill the demand with a bigger, better proposal at Back Bay Station instead.

The 380 Stewart proposal is garbage. Keep that nice building or design something gorgeous that works with the older buildings.

I think 1000 Boylston looks a billion times better now than it did before, even though it was taller before. No more random balconies creating a smooth facade and the way the triangles match up now makes it looks sharp- literally. The mix of triangles also carries over into the podium too which also looks better than before. I like this wayyyy more than before and cant wait until this is built. It also has a nice sloping away effect frrom 1 Dalton.

40trinity.0.png

40-Trinity-Place-rendering.jpg

40trinity.0.jpg

HRdZ8Gd.png

That's a swell chart but 111 Federal won't be be that tall by any stretch of anyone's imagination. And where's Chiofaro?

740’? That could easily be the height based on what we know.

I didn't make the picture. Just threw it up to show the height of this vs a couple other towers going up.

i hate asking the dumb question (but w/ the thread bumped).....

Can anyone confirm March groundbreaking? :)

Another luxury hotel company is coming to the Back Bay.

Raffles Hotels & Resorts is partnering with developers Jordan Warshaw and Saunders Hotel Group to put its first North American property in a $375 million tower at the corner of Stuart Street and Trinity Place. The 33-story building will be roughly half hotel, half condominiums, and carry the flag — and the high-end services — of a luxury hotel brand best known for its flagship in Singapore, where the Singapore Sling cocktail was created and butler service is available 24 hours a day.

The development team spent years trying to build on the site, and the deal with Raffles will allow construction on the 400-foot tower to begin later this year.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...ming-boston/BDHOcuvIWKnb6xXlKfBBgN/story.html

Wow, this is great news. 1st Raffles in North America. The one in Singapore is a bit dowdy, but the other properties are quite nice. Not NYC, not San Fran, Miami or Chicago. Very cool for Boston.

Oh and Boston definitely needs a lot more hotel rooms as we all know. I stayed at the Hilton Fanuel Hall a few weeks ago and it was $425 a night for a regular room. I am sure people will complain that we need more mid-range hotels - and we do, but there is obviously not much of a shortage of people wanting to pay big $$ either.

I still say unlikely that this goes forward. no deal with University club

Back