Raffles Boston (40 Trinity Place) | 426 Stuart Street | Back Bay

This is already approved I'm not sure why you think this can't go forward. I am pretty sure the developer already has a deal with the University Club otherwise they couldn't have gotten this proposal approved by the city.

Ha! The "Swanktuary" Globe guy certainly got his timing wrong with his BS story... and I hear there's more (better) of this to come shortly!

How exactly does this show that it isn't happening? It is obviously true that rich people use expensive properties as investments rather than living spaces, and I cannot for the life of me see how even more luxury development being built (as the cycle of tax breaks for developers seems explicitly designed to create) disproves this in any way.

Ugh I hate this project. It's as "cookie cutter generic glass tower" as you can get, and it's replacing something that's worth keeping. This location deserves better.

Any chance that bringing Raffles on board can spark a redesign here? Yeah, I know, probably not... Sigh.

TNf5bt6.png

The design looks ready for 2004.

I'm legitimately surprised that Boston architecture seems to have been stuck in a timewarp for so long now.

You wouldn't roll-out a mid-70s design in 1990, and something from 1986 would unlikely to be proposed in 2000. But here we are.

Ugh I hate this project. It's as "cookie cutter generic glass tower" as you can get, and it's replacing something that's worth keeping. This location deserves better.

Any chance that bringing Raffles on board can spark a redesign here? Yeah, I know, probably not... Sigh.

Is that ugly parking garage coming down anytime soon ?

The design looks ready for 2004.

I'm legitimately surprised that Boston architecture seems to have been stuck in a timewarp for so long now.

You wouldn't roll-out a mid-70s design in 1990, and something from 1986 would unlikely to be proposed in 2000. But here we are.

Actually, this rendering looks pretty slick.
AccorHotelsandSaundersHotelGroup_26hotel_01_met.jpg

i thought the same thing ^^^

although i'd be fine with calling a moratorium -- at least for a while -- on the slope-y roof thing. let's have something with a point or spire already. poor old JHT 1 is really the only game in town in that respect and for that to be the case 70 years after the fact is pretty silly.

The renders seem to show a very dull sea-glass appearance.

That new render might actually be closer to what it ends up like.

Looks a lot better. But i'm an abysmal all glass all the time, type (almost).

Back Bay Station and 40 Trinity should have topped 500.

When is the groundbreaking?

Last edited:
The renders seem to show a very dull sea-glass appearance.
Back Bay Station and 40 Trinity should have topped 500.

>And if they had, you would be crying that they didn't top 550.
>>And if they had, you would be crying that they didn't top 600.
>>>And if they had, you would be crying that they didn't top 650.

500' right there would have been fine. Copley Tower has enough separation and would compliment the JHT. I like a good part of JHT left all alone.

Nothing happening here yet. Walked by today on my way to Back Bay Station. Dunks is open, but the art gallery next door is closed up looking.

Wow.

Is this restaurant/bar/sky lounge open to the public?

It probably would be but I doubt these interiors are final. They're a bit gaudy for a Raffles.

Imagine if they hired a good interior design firm, such as ...

http://www.pyr-design.com/Projects/Index

Saunders' current renderings remind me of scenes from the mid-90s computer game Myst.

Last edited:
As I said 3 pages back, these views are all blatantly false:

Post 251 on the same page I said the same thing. You can almost see the top of the Hancock in some of the views which isn't realistic. I was talking about the interiors though, but the pictures and that post was deleted I believe because they were too big.

Back