Reasonable Transit Pitches

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/acrp/acrp_rpt_004.pdf

I don't have time right now but this is probably the report you were thinking about, if you were interested in reading it with me. I'll look through it later this weekend.
the TRB pub has these "best practices" shares for transit:
San Francisco (23% Market Share)
New York JFK (19% Market Share)
Boston (18% Market Share)
Reagan Washington National (17% Market Share)

I'm of course disappointed to see the share about half of what I "remembered", but at DCA and BOS the case for transit is really compelling given how close to downtown the airport is. I'm either thinking of more recent figures, or perhaps I was thinking of rail's share of non-SOV modes.

Somewhere from these there's got to be a network effect worth tapping to push transit's share even higher. The study is from 2008, so it is quite possible that things have been done to push share higher since then (e.g. Massports very recent and reasonably successful free-boarding of the Silver Line at the Airport. A free "to downtown" ride and a $2 silver line ride back to replace a $15 cab ride to downtown (or what's the going "all in" cab cost?) each way would be pretty compelling

Keep in mind that the TRB considers "Shared Ride Vans" to be transit. About half the "transit" share for SFO is actually shared ride vans, something I discovered personally when I spent several months living in the Bay Area. BART-SFO gets about 5%, and the rest are buses from SamTrans and the like.

DCA is the most successful "rail transit" airport in the US. Presumably Boston could have come close to that if the Blue Line were more convenient. But I'm still not sure it would be worth the price tag.

Oh Supershuttle, how I don't miss you.

On the other hand, the KX to SFO from Palo Alto is great.

My question is...is this enough to justify buying a DMU fleet with the market for that vehicle still so immature? Electrifying Fairmount probably doesn't cost much more than a unicorn fleet when Providence and RIDOT South County CR would pool all the same electric equipment in much greater scale. Worcester isn't that big a deal either if they wanted to stage the wires buildout Riverside first, Framingham second, Worcester third. And the 2 northside applications already fit neatly within a 30-minute schedule slot with no physical plant modifications whatsoever, so what's the X-factor for using different equipment? Yes, there's a performance difference...but how big a difference would make people sit up, take notice, and take the train when they don't today? The trip time from Reading, Waltham, and points inbound already beats the concurrent buses and is well within the realm of convenience. All those riders want is real frequency and actual stops with parking at 128 where those lines currently have none. I think push-pull works just fine for the first 15 years of the Reading and Waltham rollouts.

First of all, you're comparing the raw cost of putting up gantries and stringing wires with the cost of buying DMU vehicles. I'm currently working on a thesis paper on Worcester Line DMUs and have pinned the price at $40 Million (6 married pairs at $6.6M apiece). Even if you could electrify the lines for $80-$100 Million - the cost of all the DMUs you'd need for 4 lines - you're still buying all new rolling stock at that point as well. I know you're advocating buying the electric rolling stock at some future time anyway, but given that the time horizon for that is something like 30 years I don't think its totally honest to define the costs of electrification solely in the infrastructure.

Also, beyond the serious emissions, fuel efficiency, etc. bonuses that come with DMUs, the reason people will "sit up and take notice" is twofold. First, they'll freaking stop at their stop (1 train/hour during rush hour in Newton right now... one). Newton and Brighton can go from 1 train in Newton and none in Brighton to 15-minute headways during peak and 30-minute headways off-peak. Second, DMUs look like light rail. That makes a big difference. People who live next to a commuter rail trunk line don't think of it as a way to go short distances, only as a means to get to South Station. A DMU service would be as much about kids getting from Auburndale to Newton North High as it would be about commuters in Brighton getting to Back Bay.

Putting extra commuter trains on the schedule doesn't accomplish anything for people who don't even think of commuter rail as a choice. People "sit up and take notice" when you change something and make visible investments. Fairmount works because many of those stations were built as part of the project - suddenly neighborhoods which were unserved were given access. The other lines won't add that many stations, so the visible investment has to be in the vehicles (and station renovations) to get people to even notice the improved headways.

Give people 15-minute headways on commuter rail, and they'll say "oh, those folks out in Framingham are getting more trains. Good for them." Give people 15-minute headways on a light rail train, and they may actually believe this was intended for their use.

First of all, you're comparing the raw cost of putting up gantries and stringing wires with the cost of buying DMU vehicles. I'm currently working on a thesis paper on Worcester Line DMUs and have pinned the price at $40 Million (6 married pairs at $6.6M apiece). Even if you could electrify the lines for $80-$100 Million - the cost of all the DMUs you'd need for 4 lines - you're still buying all new rolling stock at that point as well. I know you're advocating buying the electric rolling stock at some future time anyway, but given that the time horizon for that is something like 30 years I don't think its totally honest to define the costs of electrification solely in the infrastructure.

Also, beyond the serious emissions, fuel efficiency, etc. bonuses that come with DMUs, the reason people will "sit up and take notice" is twofold. First, they'll freaking stop at their stop (1 train/hour during rush hour in Newton right now... one). Newton and Brighton can go from 1 train in Newton and none in Brighton to 15-minute headways during peak and 30-minute headways off-peak. Second, DMUs look like light rail. That makes a big difference. People who live next to a commuter rail trunk line don't think of it as a way to go short distances, only as a means to get to South Station. A DMU service would be as much about kids getting from Auburndale to Newton North High as it would be about commuters in Brighton getting to Back Bay.

Putting extra commuter trains on the schedule doesn't accomplish anything for people who don't even think of commuter rail as a choice. People "sit up and take notice" when you change something and make visible investments. Fairmount works because many of those stations were built as part of the project - suddenly neighborhoods which were unserved were given access. The other lines won't add that many stations, so the visible investment has to be in the vehicles (and station renovations) to get people to even notice the improved headways.

Give people 15-minute headways on commuter rail, and they'll say "oh, those folks out in Framingham are getting more trains. Good for them." Give people 15-minute headways on a light rail train, and they may actually believe this was intended for their use.

You cannot run that service with only 6 married pairs. To *barely* achieve that kind of schedule would have to have at least 4 in-service at all times:
1 & 2) 1 train in motion each direction at all times
3) a third occupying the same track as another at opposite ends of the line to backstop the headway. Because the terminal district SS-BBY is never going to be faster than it is today...on any equipment...so you probably will not pull into Yawkey at < 8-10 minutes elapsed.
4) Due to #3 you likely must have a fourth set idling on-platform or ready to scoot in from Widett Circle to set up the next headway and depart the second the next inbound approaches the terminal.

That's 4. Not including at least one pair that's going to be out at any given moment on shop rotation. Not including shift changes at Widett Circle. Not including blown headways, where you will have no choice but to keep run-as-directed push-pulls on standby and use them several times per day for a schedule adjustment. When equipment shortages get thrown into the mix...now your would-be 15 minutes have to be padded by a couple to ensure the delays don't cascade when a push-pull pinch hitter has to be put into service at rush.

We're at 8 or 10 pairs now if you want 15 minutes fully equipped with 1 pair and no schedule concessions to push-pull run-as-directeds.

But is the capacity enough? A Nippon-Sharyo DMU-compliant unit like SMART and Toronto's airport dinky are going to use seat only 154 per pair (less in Toronto with the luggage rack configuration). A single T bi-level coach seats 173-185, a single T single-level coach seats 114-122. An M8 or Silverliner V EMU seats 210-216 per pair because the interior room is not so constrained by fuel tanks. 154 is approximately the same as 2-2/3 articulated buses like run on the 39. It is a small vehicle.

Alright...

SPRINTER has 12 DMU pairs for its 20-mile, 15-station run that does about 7500 boardings per day with only 30 minute headways at peak. For comparison Framingham is 21 miles and would have 14 stations with the additions of New Balance and Newton Corner...current ridership is over 5000 per day despite a limited schedule overall and the 3 Newton stops barely existing. But those "barely existent" Newton stops still get 40-minute headways today at peak despite being skipped by most trains. So, really, you have to be prepared to handle current daily Framingham ridership out to Riverside when these inner stops have fully developed service, a good deal denser than SPRINTER's baseline. The average Worcester consist is 6 cars, > half bi-level, with > half the ridership being Framingham and points in.

In addition to its considerable native ridership this service is going to displace most of the Pike express buses, displace some 57, 553, and 554 ridership, and reshape commute patterns on the corridor such that there is indirect give-and-take with usage on the 70/70A, 71, 64, 59, 556, etc. There's your 3-2/3 articulateds buses worth of seating per trip, all from existing bus riders without a single "homegrown" rider on top.

You can't run this at rush hour without 2-pair/4-cars minimum. I would say you would have a hard time running it as single pair any time but the night/weekend way off-peak. And you may need to bum a 3-pair/6-car set or two at peakmost if current Framingham is the probable ridership floor for such dense headways.

What are we up to now? 16-20 pairs, $105M-$132M just in vehicle purchases (not including maintenance facility retrofits and ancillary costs) for one line if you want that schedule to serve that ridership without possibility of ever needing to pad at any given moment for push-pull RAD's.

And this is supposed to be a combined order with Fairmount. Same deal...4 in-service trainsets to backstop the headway and terminal queue. Extras for RAD's. 4 cars of seating mandatory at rush, although the top of the peak may not be as severe here so you probably won't need to run 6's unless it's a RAD to clear the crowds after a service disruption. Some minor efficiencies from sharing shop rotation and shift change equipment with Riverside, but...30 pairs minimum? 36 safe? $211M-$237M. And still not a lot of margin for error with seating and surpluses to keep that 15 min. headway free from push-pull RAD's when shit be all havin' a bad day.

Then the northside. You got separate fleets that can only be load-balanced N-S maybe once or twice a week, so no pooling for shift changes or RAD's. Slightly less car-hungry lines. OK...how about a combined fleet of 50 now @ $1/3B?

The economy of scale here is not good at all. You can maybe equip 2 lines with a lean DMU fleet, but once it starts getting exponential the scalability in car orders is wretched compared to bootstrapping onto a Providence + RIDOT electrics order that's 50+ EMU's or a dozen-plus electric locos unto itself. And can seat a shitload more people for the same unit cost.

Show me a mature DMU market where the unit cost scales far better than this and we can talk. But the American DMU market is developing molasses-slow and shows no signs of warming significantly before 2020. It cannot cost so much extra per seat and scale well to multiple lines. Poor scale is a fatal blocker for overlaying a well-developed commuter rail system with dense, equipment-hungry inner service. That's why only the upstarts and airport dinkys have gone with it. It is what it is. Better-than-push-pull is 10+ years out of range on DMU or EMU at the scale the T would have to order vehicles at to do these lines justice. No amount of modal evangelism or wishful thinking about how the lid is going to blow off the DMU market within the next 5 years is going to speed up that timetable for 15-minute headways. So you might as well step back and dispassionately cast a wider net on the implementable options.

Hey, if DMU's find that scale faster...great. But they are very far off from it today and not moving fast enough in the right direction.

F-Line,
The SMART cars will be configured with 2x2 seating and include a bar in one of the cars:
http://www.nipponsharyousa.com/tp101216.htm
"Each Married Pair will be 170 feet long and will feature a bathroom, a service bar and bicycle storage. The interior space will meet ADA requirements; and each Married Pair will have seating for 156 passengers. Delivery is scheduled to finish by the end of 2014."

If the MBTA ordered these, they would get 3X2 seating, would not get the bar, and might not need the restrooms if the plan is to only use them on short shuttles. Just going to 3X2 seating alone would get seating capacity for a pair up from 156 to 195, and removing the bar probably adds at least five more rows of seats on one side of a car. A triplet set up would have close to 300 seats. Fairmount pilot could be an 18-car fleet (12 cars made up as four triplets in peak service to run a 20 minute headway (80 minute round-trip time), 6 cars spare). The FTA recommends that the spare ratio for a fleet (the number of cars on hand above peak requirement) be no more than 20%.

If they bought some for Fairmount and they worked out, the next line to look it would be the Eastern route, primarily to improve the off-peak frequencies between Boston and Beverly. Trains already run every 15-20 minutes in the peak between Boston and Beverly now. If you substituted one peak set with a 6-car train of DMUs, and then split the 6-car set into two triplets to run midday short-turns to Beverly, you could maintain a 30-minute headway all day long (the combined frequency of new Boston-Beverly DMU trips with existing Rockport/Newburyport frequencies). The biggest cost savings from DMUs in that scenario is the fuel savings when running the short midday trains to Beverly.

You cannot run that service with only 6 married pairs. To *barely* achieve that kind of schedule would have to have at least 4 in-service at all times:
1 & 2) 1 train in motion each direction at all times
3) a third occupying the same track as another at opposite ends of the line to backstop the headway. Because the terminal district SS-BBY is never going to be faster than it is today...on any equipment...so you probably will not pull into Yawkey at < 8-10 minutes elapsed.
4) Due to #3 you likely must have a fourth set idling on-platform or ready to scoot in from Widett Circle to set up the next headway and depart the second the next inbound approaches the terminal.

So, you're proposing that for this trip, which takes under 30 minutes under current T schedules even accounting for the extra stops and not counting the improved acceleration and dwell times of DMU vehicles, you will not only need to backstop both ends of the line (and hence assume that EVERY SINGLE TRAIN will be late, since a 15-minute headway can be done by 4 pairs in motion at all times), but that backstop will need to itself be backstopped because not only is every train going to be late but delays will routinely exceed 15 minutes? Sorry, dude, that's a really generous assumption to give yourself. I'm not saying that every train will be on-time, but there's simply no reason that the inbound train can't either pick up passengers, turn around, and go, or cover the next headway its late. Commuter rail passengers do have the expectation that their train will sit on the platform for a half-hour before it leaves, but their expectations would have to change.

But is the capacity enough? A Nippon-Sharyo DMU-compliant unit like SMART and Toronto's airport dinky are going to use seat only 154 per pair (less in Toronto with the luggage rack configuration). A single T bi-level coach seats 173-185, a single T single-level coach seats 114-122. An M8 or Silverliner V EMU seats 210-216 per pair because the interior room is not so constrained by fuel tanks. 154 is approximately the same as 2-2/3 articulated buses like run on the 39. It is a small vehicle.

Those numbers are accurate, but note the important role "seat only" plays in that sentence. The Sprinter trains you're about to mention achieve higher capacity in part by allowing people to stand. In any case, SMART's DMUs, like many others, have the advertised ability to trail 2 or 3 coaches behind them. Theoretically, the T could use existing bi-level coaches between the married pair of DMUs, or simply put a DMU on the front and train coaches behind. The acceleration and emissions benefits are muted somewhat in that scenario (which is what Tri-Rail in Miami does routinely), but they're still significant. Plus, your engine car is carrying passengers, upping your capacity.

SPRINTER has 12 DMU pairs for its 20-mile, 15-station run that does about 7500 boardings per day with only 30 minute headways at peak. For comparison Framingham is 21 miles and would have 14 stations with the additions of New Balance and Newton Corner...current ridership is over 5000 per day despite a limited schedule overall and the 3 Newton stops barely existing. But those "barely existent" Newton stops still get 40-minute headways today at peak despite being skipped by most trains. So, really, you have to be prepared to handle current daily Framingham ridership out to Riverside when these inner stops have fully developed service, a good deal denser than SPRINTER's baseline. The average Worcester consist is 6 cars, > half bi-level, with > half the ridership being Framingham and points in.

Whoa, now this line goes to Framingham? I haven't proposed it going to Framingham. I think maybe 2 pages ago someone asked if Framingham was a realistic destination for a "Fairmouted" Line, and now you're grabbing that and running with it to inflate your demand. Assuming Framingham as your destination also conveniently eliminates the issue of platform geometry at Riverside, where there simply may not be room within the current station for a full CR platform.

Anyway, I won't claim that single married pairs of DMUs can serve all of this demand, but I don't think we really know what the demand would be, given that the Newton stations haven't seen competent service in 60 years. Density would suggest higher demand than along the less-dense Riverside Green Line, but frankly density in that neighborhood suggests that we should be burying HRT underneath the ROW. The point of DMU service is to provide rapid transit headways and appearances in locations where rapid transit itself is unfeasible, not to replicate the capacity of a subway.

Then the northside. You got separate fleets that can only be load-balanced N-S maybe once or twice a week, so no pooling for shift changes or RAD's. Slightly less car-hungry lines. OK...how about a combined fleet of 50 now @ $1/3B?

The economy of scale here is not good at all. You can maybe equip 2 lines with a lean DMU fleet, but once it starts getting exponential the scalability in car orders is wretched compared to bootstrapping onto a Providence + RIDOT electrics order that's 50+ EMU's or a dozen-plus electric locos unto itself. And can seat a shitload more people for the same unit cost.

Show me a mature DMU market where the unit cost scales far better than this and we can talk. But the American DMU market is developing molasses-slow and shows no signs of warming significantly before 2020. It cannot cost so much extra per seat and scale well to multiple lines. Poor scale is a fatal blocker for overlaying a well-developed commuter rail system with dense, equipment-hungry inner service. That's why only the upstarts and airport dinkys have gone with it. It is what it is. Better-than-push-pull is 10+ years out of range on DMU or EMU at the scale the T would have to order vehicles at to do these lines justice. No amount of modal evangelism or wishful thinking about how the lid is going to blow off the DMU market within the next 5 years is going to speed up that timetable for 15-minute headways. So you might as well step back and dispassionately cast a wider net on the implementable options.

Hey, if DMU's find that scale faster...great. But they are very far off from it today and not moving fast enough in the right direction.

So what are you arguing against, now? You've expanded the range of your argument to assume that the T would have to buy inflated numbers of DMU vehicles for each of 4 or 5 lines simultaneously, in a single order, without phasing or testing the concept. You're comparing DMU service, which the T could roll out in 2 years if they chose to release an RFP tomorrow, to electrification, which there's no evidence the T is planning to do anywhere other than the NEC and will take 25-30 years to build, at fairly astronomical cost given it involves replacing EVERY LOCOMOTIVE THE T OWNS. You're arguing that buying the rolling stock to cover these headways costs a bunch no matter what mode we choose, so we might as well buy more locomotives (remember, DMUs can trail coaches) which are unsuited for the service, cost more to maintain, more to fuel, and cause more damage to the environment when their power is wasted pulling 4-car consists? And all because 3 decades down the line we might electrify the system and make all the current engines obsolete anyway?

I'm not going to argue EMUs are bad. They're excellent technology. If in 50 years that's what's running on these lines - awesome. But they aren't going to provide the service these corridors deserve in a reasonable timeframe, which means this simply isn't the either/or you think it is.

So, you're proposing that for this trip, which takes under 30 minutes under current T schedules even accounting for the extra stops and not counting the improved acceleration and dwell times of DMU vehicles, you will not only need to backstop both ends of the line (and hence assume that EVERY SINGLE TRAIN will be late, since a 15-minute headway can be done by 4 pairs in motion at all times), but that backstop will need to itself be backstopped because not only is every train going to be late but delays will routinely exceed 15 minutes? Sorry, dude, that's a really generous assumption to give yourself. I'm not saying that every train will be on-time, but there's simply no reason that the inbound train can't either pick up passengers, turn around, and go, or cover the next headway its late. Commuter rail passengers do have the expectation that their train will sit on the platform for a half-hour before it leaves, but their expectations would have to change.

Oh, quit twisting my words. You are so evangelical about this a factual debate is almost impossible around here on the pros/cons of DMU's. Every damn time this gets discussed you get hot under the collar at other posters for raising legitimate doubts about the near- and mid-term prospects for DMU's. Can you please acknowledge that there ARE pros/cons and a serious stall in the advancement of U.S. DMU acceptance--and hence, purchase scale from unit cost--that significantly muddies the water on available options?

I am saying it is not clear-cut enough and not advancing fast enough to be clear-cut that you can say "book it...done" and write off other alternatives like electrification as too expensive or too far-future. It makes too many assumptions that the DMU market is going to immediately move fast, when it shows few signs of that sort of momentum coming this-decade. Or busting out of its niche of single starter lines and airport dinkys. If you are so sure of your math, show us the math that proves the economics are going to snap into gear on the short-term timeframe. The available evidence and momentum does not allow for accepting that on assumption. And if you can't accept on assumption backed with evidence that it's going to be a this-decade certainty for fitting the economics...why are you so certain that an electrification option won't fit your timetable? We don't know what the timetable is!

If you don't want the possibility of putting up with crappy push-pulls for the next dozen years because the economics of something better isn't improving, why narrow the search for options? I'm not saying electrification is slam-dunk either. But putting nearly all your eggs in the DMU basket today and discounting all options is not smart when DMU's aren't evolving fast enough to market acceptance.

If you are disputing the fact that DMU's aren't ready today...educate us on that math because current conditions sure don't show it without a whole lot of wishful thinking.

------------------

Re: the headway comment and delays...

That is not what I said at all. SS-BBY is capped at restricted speed for every vehicle because of all the crossing traffic...that being by-definition what "yard limits" are. And it doesn't improve until you're almost out of the Back Bay tunnel. Yes, it is going to take the exact same 6 minutes to get between the terminal and BBY as it does today, and since speeds don't rise much until the tunnel portal the max possible savings to Yawkey is seconds, not minutes. It's 11 minutes from SS to arrival at Yawkey today. The best you are going to do under DMU's is closing all doors at Yawkey and being ready to depart at...the same 11 minutes. Your max potential time savings are the on-platform dwell. That gives you 20 minutes to cover 6 more stops with dwells.

There is no way you can cover that and make the next headway with so few vehicles. I don't even think 3 in motion covers it. Look at the Mattapan Line...2.6 miles and 6 intermediate stops between terminals at 5 minute peak headways running no more than 1 vehicle per track at any any given time (i.e. avg. 2 in motion, a third usually staffed and idling at Mattapan in the queue, and sometimes more in motion at hours when terminal crowding increases dwells). So...4 out of a 10-car fleet in active use for minimum-most service at its stated daytime headway on the shortest rail line of any kind on the system using the fastest-accelerating cars of any rail service on the system. And a trip takes...15 minutes?

You think 11 miles and 7 intermediate stations including high-dwell time Back Bay with a permanent and unimprovable travel time through heavily-trafficked yard limits using DMU's instead of a trolley will be achievable in 30 or less using the exact same number of trainsets? No. Not even close. And that's before we even get to the seating capacity issue and need for 2 coupled pairs as a rush hour baseline. Yes, you are absolutely beyond the limits of your fleet figures shorting it that much and will have to cover run-as-directeds with push-pull. Every day, several times a day. Regardless of on-time performance rate for the schedule. Variable dwell times will do that. And let's not forget...there are at least 3 overlapping services on this route: Worcester expresses, Framingham locals, and Riverside DMU's. Plus Amtrak at 10 Inland Regionals per day 2025 goal, a Lake Shore Limited, and a likely Boston-flank Vermonter in the future. Your schedule can't have such little equipment give to deal with the variability of a heavy-use line. Either pony up and buy the fleet that'll make that happen at considerably inferior price, or you must run headways that can accommodate a push-pull set at any moment to backstop the variability.

The math doesn't work without it. And also, since you seem to be under the impression that it takes like 5 minutes for a push-pull to get to freakin' 10 MPH between SS and BBY I'm not sure how you can justify a no-margin DMU schedule with multiple overlapping Framingham/Worcester push-pulls slotting between every 2-3 schedule slots. Of course, the difference between push-pull and DMU acceleration up to 10 MPH is so microscopic it isn't a consideration...the difference in vehicles is all about the 10-50 MPH acceleration. But let's run with your math here for argument's sake...it doesn't bloody add up with mixed equipment and a locked travel time for all services out to BBY.

Those numbers are accurate, but note the important role "seat only" plays in that sentence. The Sprinter trains you're about to mention achieve higher capacity in part by allowing people to stand. In any case, SMART's DMUs, like many others, have the advertised ability to trail 2 or 3 coaches behind them. Theoretically, the T could use existing bi-level coaches between the married pair of DMUs, or simply put a DMU on the front and train coaches behind. The acceleration and emissions benefits are muted somewhat in that scenario (which is what Tri-Rail in Miami does routinely), but they're still significant. Plus, your engine car is carrying passengers, upping your capacity.
Show me the DMU model available for current purchase that lets you use off-shelf coaches. Right now the only FRA-compliant models only allow you to buy custom lightweight DMU trailers from the manufacturer. Because those vehicles do not have the power to pull anything more. It is the same restriction that requires EMU's like the Silverliner and M7/M8 to only be compatible with Silverliner or M7/M8 dead trailers. They can only pull a push-pull coach at restricted speed in an emergency. Tri-Rail does NOT use generic coaches for its DMU line. It uses Colorado Railcar DMU's with Colorado Railcar unpowered bi-level DMU trailers designed only to trainline with its DMU's. It's all custom. Their push-pull fleet is a large contingent of Bombardier bi-levels 100% identical to our Kawasaki bi-levels...and those are total no-go with the DMUs' horsepower. You pay the unicorn-vehicle premium for the mode in any vehicle configuration. There is nothing available for purchase this decade that lets them use an off-shelf Rotem or Kawasaki CR coach.

Maybe there will be in the future...there is a neat EMU concept NJ Transit is considering from Bombardier that would allow 2 off-shelf coaches to be pulled by 1 single-ended bi-level power car (stuffed into an off-shelf Bombardier bi-level coach shell) at only slight acceleration penalty (still better than DMU) with loss of only 20 seats in the power car. And that can certainly spawn its own DMU variant if it proves successful. But even that easier-to-build EMU is years away, and given the sluggish adoption rate for FRA-compliant DMU's this pivots right back to the timetable question. Prrove with evidence the option is gonna be there on the timetable they want to implement it, or concede that this is not so simple and the preferred alternatives list has not narrowed at all.

Whoa, now this line goes to Framingham? I haven't proposed it going to Framingham. I think maybe 2 pages ago someone asked if Framingham was a realistic destination for a "Fairmouted" Line, and now you're grabbing that and running with it to inflate your demand. Assuming Framingham as your destination also conveniently eliminates the issue of platform geometry at Riverside, where there simply may not be room within the current station for a full CR platform.
Also not what I said, but feel free to twist away. I am saying that your probable ridership for a full-developed Riverside corridor is equal to Framingham's current ridership. The number of stops will be similar. And given the fact that this will be hard-pressed to keep 30 mins. or less with station dwells and that SS-BBY penalty your schedule's not going to be worlds of difference faster. It's 45 mins. today to Framingham skipping the Newton stops on slow 60 MPH track. If that track gets uprated to 80 MPH in a couple years so they can meet the PTC mandate it's probably more like 37-40 minutes to Framingham on a push-pull that skips all between BBY-Wellesley Farms. Nothing that covers Riverside-inbound will ever top 60 MPH because the station spacing is too close. That would be the same even on an EMU.

So the Framingham actuals are with virtual certainty going to converge on all fronts with your Riverside estimates. This decade. Meaning...you better be prepared to backstop this thing with enough equipment to cover similar loads and a very tight schedule for covering the stated headways. The vehicle requirements are going to end up close to double what you're quoting. And that is rooted in math you can crunch today.

Anyway, I won't claim that single married pairs of DMUs can serve all of this demand, but I don't think we really know what the demand would be, given that the Newton stations haven't seen competent service in 60 years. Density would suggest higher demand than along the less-dense Riverside Green Line, but frankly density in that neighborhood suggests that we should be burying HRT underneath the ROW. The point of DMU service is to provide rapid transit headways and appearances in locations where rapid transit itself is unfeasible, not to replicate the capacity of a subway.
Burying is going to be very hard here because of the Charles basin. We've detailed at length the problems downtown. It's either Back Bay landfill or Charles silt until Newton Corner. Saturated, flood-prone mush much more expensive to engineer than the cleared ROW and Pike canyon would indicate. It's very different from building a Riverbank subway on the Storrow roadpack essentially above-ground with the tunnel roof covered in grass. Very different from burying the B or E reservation under a full contingent of city street storm drains abutted by bone-dry, flood-controlled basements. The chance to put an HRT line on the B&A died when the Pike took Tracks 3 & 4.

Otherwise the ridership IS there. It was there in 1945 when they proposed just that. You only have to look at the bus coverage on this corridor to see that. The criscrossing lines at some of these stops are some of the busiest on the whole system (and it is killer that a major bus hub like Newton Corner has no stop today because it would outslug all 3 other Newton stops...today). It is buttressed with multiple Pike express buses. And the 57 and 70 are carrying disproportionate load being all things to both flanks of the corridor from lack of rapid transit options (artificial lack, in the 57's case). Follow the bus routes. They are the surest sign of any for unmet demand, and every rapid transit or quasi rapid transit line that sorely needs to be built (GLX, Blue-Lynn, Orange-Rozzie, UR, E restoration) has its path traced by above-normal clusterings of busy bus routes.

So what are you arguing against, now? You've expanded the range of your argument to assume that the T would have to buy inflated numbers of DMU vehicles for each of 4 or 5 lines simultaneously, in a single order, without phasing or testing the concept. You're comparing DMU service, which the T could roll out in 2 years if they chose to release an RFP tomorrow, to electrification, which there's no evidence the T is planning to do anywhere other than the NEC and will take 25-30 years to build, at fairly astronomical cost given it involves replacing EVERY LOCOMOTIVE THE T OWNS. You're arguing that buying the rolling stock to cover these headways costs a bunch no matter what mode we choose, so we might as well buy more locomotives (remember, DMUs can trail coaches) which are unsuited for the service, cost more to maintain, more to fuel, and cause more damage to the environment when their power is wasted pulling 4-car consists? And all because 3 decades down the line we might electrify the system and make all the current engines obsolete anyway?
And you are putting a whole lot of words in my mouth. Which is why this debate never goes anywhere when the current state of DMU-land is discussed. :rolleyes:

Dial the evangelism back a notch.

I'm not going to argue EMUs are bad. They're excellent technology. If in 50 years that's what's running on these lines - awesome. But they aren't going to provide the service these corridors deserve in a reasonable timeframe, which means this simply isn't the either/or you think it is.
And all I'm saying is what's the Plan B if DMU's are nowhere near ready by end of this decade? Push-pull forever? Do an egregious overpay that's gonna scale exceedingly poorly at that unit cost to the fleet they need? Wait however long you think it'll take to string up wires?

What is it...other than assumption the DMU market is going to snap into gear with momentum that shows no signs of near-term materializing? You seem to think something's gonna break soon. So what is it? Substantiate.

Oh, quit twisting my words. You are so evangelical about this a factual debate is almost impossible around here on the pros/cons of DMU's. Every damn time this gets discussed you get hot under the collar at other posters for raising legitimate doubts about the near- and mid-term prospects for DMU's. Can you please acknowledge that there ARE pros/cons and a serious stall in the advancement of U.S. DMU acceptance--and hence, purchase scale from unit cost--that significantly muddies the water on available options?

I'll break my response to this into multiple pieces so that I don't have to digest the whole thing at once. First off: I reread the posts and I realize that I wrote my post on Wednesday in a rush and may have lowered the level of the discourse a little. I'm sorry about that. I don't, however, think that I'm "evangelizing" when I offer answers to hypothetical questions you've posed about this technology. You don't believe DMUs are a legitimate choice for these services and I do. That's why I'm arguing for them, not because I'm on some crusade on their behalf.

I am saying it is not clear-cut enough and not advancing fast enough to be clear-cut that you can say "book it...done" and write off other alternatives like electrification as too expensive or too far-future. It makes too many assumptions that the DMU market is going to immediately move fast, when it shows few signs of that sort of momentum coming this-decade. Or busting out of its niche of single starter lines and airport dinkys. If you are so sure of your math, show us the math that proves the economics are going to snap into gear on the short-term timeframe. The available evidence and momentum does not allow for accepting that on assumption. And if you can't accept on assumption backed with evidence that it's going to be a this-decade certainty for fitting the economics...why are you so certain that an electrification option won't fit your timetable? We don't know what the timetable is!

I am in no way writing off electrification. Saying that it's decades away and the time we'll be waiting corresponds to the lifespan of a DMU vehicle isn't writing it off, it's being realistic about what the timetable might be, whatever it is. You're exactly right that we have no real idea of that, but then you say that the timetable is "a dozen years." By 2025? After the T just invested in a huge order of diesel locomotives? I don't think so. The wait will be 25-50 years, not 12. That's a huge range, because I really don't know. Then again, neither do you, and I think I'm being more realistic.

While we wait, there are 2 alternatives and only 2 for service on these corridors. The first is the 40-minute headway the T is providing as of this summer on the Fairmount line with conventional equipment. The second is a 15-minute headway with DMU equipment. Those are the options. I'm not "discounting" a whole world of alternatives to advocate for my dream project, I'm arguing for one alternative that can theoretically provide service levels akin to transit on corridors which have no realistic prospects for ever seeing actual transit service while we wait for electrification, which would at best replicate the DMU service levels.

As for the viability of the technology, there will be 8 operating DMU services operating in the US in 2020. We can't have a reasonable conversation about this if every time I raise any project as an example, successful or troubled, you come up with some snarky nickname for it and declare it irrelevant. The "stall" you refer to happened 10 years ago, resulting in a couple of big-time projects - notably the Triangle Transit project in North Carolina - being delayed indefinitely. That stall is over now, particularly as the FRA ruled in 2010 that European crashworthiness standards are acceptable in Fairmount-type applications. The "US DMU Car" you've referred to as vaporware simply isn't necessary or relevant anymore.

I get it. You don't trust a technology unless it's operating in 15 multi-line, hundred-year-old transit systems across the country. It's impossible for me to argue with that, so I'll let it rest. However, the fact that 8 agencies will actually have implemented this technology does bear out that DMUs are not a pipe dream as you'd like to believe. In this particular case, they are the only way of providing transit headways to these corridors in the short term, so I think they're proven enough for a prospective application on an online forum.

If you don't want the possibility of putting up with crappy push-pulls for the next dozen years because the economics of something better isn't improving, why narrow the search for options? I'm not saying electrification is slam-dunk either. But putting nearly all your eggs in the DMU basket today and discounting all options is not smart when DMU's aren't evolving fast enough to market acceptance.

If you are disputing the fact that DMU's aren't ready today...educate us on that math because current conditions sure don't show it without a whole lot of wishful thinking.

I'm confused. Would you like to see the math that proves that this new-to-Boston technology on a routing which has never in history seen transit-level headways is a "slam dunk?" That's impossible regardless of mode and you know it. Similarly, it's not a mathematical issue that you don't think a technology is "ready." That's your opinion and that's fine. We aren't making a decision on how to invest T dollars on AB. There are a half-dozen currently operating applications of this technology that have been a mixed bag of failures and successes. DMUs cost (in a married pair) about 1.5x as much as a diesel locomotive, but can pull a limited number of the same coaches and can carry passengers themselves. They get twice the miles per gallon of diesel locomotives and emit a fraction of the pollutants. They also have a limited capacity compared to a normal rail coach, but if one compares them to a locomotive (which they can, in effect, be) they have infinitely more seats.

Going into more detail than that would require knowing minutiae which are beyond me, though perhaps not beyond you. I am fairly confident that the numbers show that DMUs are not a cost-prohibitive option for the T. Finding numbers to challenge your personal conviction that DMU technology overall is a dead end, however, is impossible by definition. You have no grounds to ask me to "educate" anyone but yourself, and I get the sense I'll never be able to do that to your satisfaction.

EDIT: Having read the rest of your post, I think I can make a response pretty quick. I'll look up again the source which said that the Sumitomos can pull off-shelf coaches. I had one, and I'll get back to you. I also can't get into the detail you can about T speed restrictions and scheduling quirks, so any argument about that would be pretty pointless for me to engage in further.

As for demand: I never meant to imply that subways along the route were possible, merely that they would be the most reasonable way to meet a demand which cannot be met by anything running on commuter rail tracks. I'm glad we agree.

Finally, this argument really comes down to one thing: You have this concept of "ready" which has no real value or units to it. You've defined it simply by knowing that DMUs aren't there yet, when 8 agencies have already chosen to operate them stateside and many more run them in Europe, whose vehicles are newly available to US operators. I can't prove that DMUs will be "ready" by 2020 because I don't know what "ready" means. If "ready" means that they're available at about $6-8 million a pair, they're ready now. If "ready" means that a reputable big-city transit agency has placed their trust in them for suburban service, then they're ready now. If you could please define "ready," then I'd have a much better idea of what we're arguing about.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

As per the pulling a coach thing, there's a couple RR.net threads on both the T and some of the NYC forums on this that I can condense.

In short: they can't. Not on EMU or DMU. It all has to do with the married-pair units being built as A-ends and B-ends like a Green Line trolley or an Orange Line car. Different guts in one car tied to different guts in the other. Usually the propulsion is in the A-end, and the B-end has all the electronics, and the transformers (in an EMU or subway car) or the fuel tanks (in a DMU).

So the MU electronics are all predicated on the propulsion in the A-end towing the deadweight B-end in a mirror image of itself. The blind trailers offered with EMU's/DMU's are a sort of design hack that tricks the A-end into thinking it's pulling 2 B-ends. They contain specialized electronics mimicking the B-end. So they are not 'dead' per se. They have working brains that no off-shelf coach ever has specifically wired to talk to and cooperate with that specific make of propulsion A-end. They just aren't Siamese twins with the propulsion car or direct-supporting the propulsion with the electrical guts or fuel tanks like the married-pair trailer half does. And this is why the singlet trailers on all DMU and EMU models to-date have to be identical makes. All of them...M7/M8's, Silverliners, Colorado Railcar, Nippon Sharyo. . .

. . .and Budd. Even as singlets that had no A- and B-ends, the ancient Budd DMU's could only pull exact copies of themselves (and there were unpowered trailer versions available). It outright voided the manufacturer's warranty if you attempted to run it pulling a generic coach because the MU systems were still predicated on only Budds pulling Budds.

So pairing a 'foreign' coach is about as awkward and unworkable as ripping off the B-end of the married pair and welding a commuter rail coach in its place (with the fuel tanks occupying the bike rack area or something). It's a Frankenstein vehicle that would run like it's saying "Please kill me."

There are some Euro DMU systems like the Turbostar in the U.K. that get around this and can intermix fleets with other older DMU's. But not because they solved for the MU'ing problem, but because there were so many in that general class of vehicles sold that the manufacturers generified their interoperability. It's well over 500 units in service on interoperating lines that drove that convergence. But it's not perfect. When they lash up it's speed-restricted and rougher-riding. Good enough for revenue service but imperfect enough that they limit its exposure.

And that's where the U.S. is at a total loss on scale. Colorado Railcar, Nippon Sharyo, etc. are still desert islands at any sort of design commonality given their low numbers and divergent designs, and no system in the country is large enough to force by necessity the kind of generification that happened in the U.K. with 500 vehicles on intersecting routes needing to interface with each other. The closest analogue to that here is getting several generations worth of SEPTA Silverliners and trailers to trainline with each other...and that's still one make based on one common design.

Basically, to solve for this somebody has to do something completely other and apart from the whole A-end / B-end trainlining philosophy and make the MU'ing system 'dumber', not smarter. Make it far, far less dependent on the next car while offsetting better performance in other areas. And probably do so ditching the whole sleek LRV-ish married pair carbody and just stuff the whole mofo inside one stock bi-level coach carbody...nearly all of them like our Kawasakis and Rotems near-exact replicas of the Bombardier bi-level design that's been around since '76 with almost 1000 units in service. Make THAT B-end dictate the propelling A-end's design, dreadfully boring as it may look and feel. And firewall those MU systems from each other so it can handle something that's in the variable range of Bombardier/Kawasaki/Rotem bi-level makes without that 10% out-of-syncness the U.K. Turbostar still has to deal with between makes of its sorta-generic DMU's.

It can happen, but you're almost looking mid-2020's for something that'll hit that mark. It won't be a v2.0 of the Nippon Sharyos that'll do that...it'll be a whole new vehicle design with whole new design philosophy. This market today has got a long way to go on developing scale, scale, scale, scale to make it possible to expand service on the one-vendor/one-make solution you're tied down to after buying that first car.

Something I was thinking about a while ago was the MBTA's policy on station names. DO they have one and how do new stations get their names?

Looking at the Green Line Extension, it would seem a lot better if Washington Street and College Avenue were named Brickbottom and Tufts University (or Medford Hillside) respectively. (Frankly, why would you even try to name any station Washington Street in the Boston area?) Of course, there is also the New Brighton/Boston Landing thing as well.

The T has also adjusted a few station names after renovations with Science Park becoming Science Park/West End and Ashmont becoming Ashmont/Peabody Square. The BPL has also whined about getting Copley renamed to Copley/Library.

I think that the T could do with renaming (or de-naming) a few stations in order to simplify things and make it easier to get around. Here are some examples:

College Avenue -> Tufts University
Washington Street -> Brickbottom
Science Park -> West End
JFK/UMass -> Columbia
Ashmont/Peadbody Square -> Ashmont
Milton -> Lower Mills
Boylston -> Theatre District
Hynes Convention Center -> Boylston (and of course, open up that Boylston entrance)

Boylston -> Theatre District
Hynes Convention Center -> Boylston (and of course, open up that Boylston entrance)

LOL!

I look forward to watching all the confused old-timers and tourists.

P.S. Why not Hynes -> Mass Ave? :p

If they bought some for Fairmount and they worked out, the next line to look it would be the Eastern route, primarily to improve the off-peak frequencies between Boston and Beverly. Trains already run every 15-20 minutes in the peak between Boston and Beverly now. If you substituted one peak set with a 6-car train of DMUs, and then split the 6-car set into two triplets to run midday short-turns to Beverly, you could maintain a 30-minute headway all day long (the combined frequency of new Boston-Beverly DMU trips with existing Rockport/Newburyport frequencies). The biggest cost savings from DMUs in that scenario is the fuel savings when running the short midday trains to Beverly.

Why not run 3 car DMUs through each branch instead of splitting a 6 car dmu at Beverly? Also, if you want more service on the line pre-branches, then it might be wise to open the peabody-danvers branch and run only DMU's on it. Beverly misses out on the frequency of the new branch, but I guarantee they'll lose a lot of demand once Danvers and Peabody get service.

I've seen Cobble Hill on local businesses more than Brickbottom, but I believe there's a good change the final station will not be named "Washington Street". Too easy to confuse with the existing Washington Street and Washington Square stations. College Ave is unambiguous but Tufts may push for their own name.

With most of the others, if it's not broke, don't fix it. JFK/UMass, Science Park, Hynes, and Boylston are just fine as is. Ashmont and Science Park are the official names; Peabody Square and West End only appear on station signage which is fine.

The existing Washington Street and Washington Square stations could use more differentiation, as with the two St. Paul Street stations. (There used to be two Summit Aves, as well!) The two Mass Ave stations are the worst offenders; unfortunately, neither has distinctive nearby landmarks or place names. Chestnut Hill Ave is dangerously close to Chestnut Hill as well.

Community College deserves a better local placename. Might be a bit too far from Thompson Square, but Bunker Hill or Charlestown might work.

Oh, and "Blandford Street" no longer exists thanks to BU's land grab. It's "Blandford Mall" now :)

Why not run 3 car DMUs through each branch instead of splitting a 6 car dmu at Beverly? Also, if you want more service on the line pre-branches, then it might be wise to open the peabody-danvers branch and run only DMU's on it. Beverly misses out on the frequency of the new branch, but I guarantee they'll lose a lot of demand once Danvers and Peabody get service.

Newburyport and Rockport trains routinely hit 6 well-filled cars already. With the bi-level starved northside soon to get those reinforcements. There are currently these constraints working against you flooding the schedule full enough 3-car DMU's to offset the per-train seating demand that currently needs 4-6 cars most hours: single track through Somerville shared with Haverhill/Reading, the Chelsea grade crossing gauntlet and 25 MPH speed restriction, the single-track tunnel, the single-track Salem station platform that makes it impossible to stage train meets around the tunnel anywhere between Swampscott and Beverly, and the movable bridges.

I could see it working for a brisk travel time out to Peabody if that peeled away what currently are some Beverly short-turns, but Newburyport and Rockport are about as straight-up traditional profile as CR routes get and need their big honking push-pull capacity for the butts-in-seats demands on every achievable schedule slot.

Now, pour $100M into the line to solve for the infrastructure restrictions and it gets more interesting. You don't even have to fix the tunnel if Salem's a 2-platform stop with crossovers at each tunnel mouth to pass through while somebody's loading/unloading on-platform. But if you consider that Reading fits a much more ideal profile for DMU's with its stop spacing and all-day neighborhood walkup...the Somerville single-track doesn't allow for huge headway packing on both at once without starting to pinch the Eastern. With the Western Route you can at least boot everything that goes past Reading to Haverhill onto the Lowell Line and clear the slate for packing Reading short-turns. If they have to pause in Somerville for 2 extra minutes while a Newburyport/Rockport clears...no big deal on a short run that terminates 10 miles out of town. But if a Newburyport or Rockport that fills up all 6 of those coaches to the limit every time starts getting squeezed on schedule slots here or having to add minutes to the schedule to wait out frequent train meets in Somerville...problem. And transit degradation for those branches and heavy-ridership communities on both branches.

Some lines have different priorities than others. Lines with a couple of past-128/495-belt branches and heavy per-train ridership...not such good candidates, too much schedule load-balancing to get a clock-facing frequency you can set a clock to (it's still pretty frequent, but some headways have to be longer than others to mix branches). Single mainlines with excess capacity or ability to shift/overlap the 128- vs. 495-oriented services to accentuate capacity...very good candidates for clock-facing schedules on the inner portions.

Last edited:
Newburyport and Rockport trains routinely hit 6 well-filled cars already. With the bi-level starved northside soon to get those reinforcements. There are currently these constraints working against you flooding the schedule full enough 3-car DMU's to offset the per-train seating demand that currently needs 4-6 cars most hours: single track through Somerville shared with Haverhill/Reading, the Chelsea grade crossing gauntlet and 25 MPH speed restriction, the single-track tunnel, the single-track Salem station platform that makes it impossible to stage train meets around the tunnel anywhere between Swampscott and Beverly, and the movable bridges.

I could see it working for a brisk travel time out to Peabody if that peeled away what currently are some Beverly short-turns, but Newburyport and Rockport are about as straight-up traditional profile as CR routes get and need their big honking push-pull capacity for the butts-in-seats demands on every achievable schedule slot.

Now, pour $100M into the line to solve for the infrastructure restrictions and it gets more interesting. You don't even have to fix the tunnel if Salem's a 2-platform stop with crossovers at each tunnel mouth to pass through while somebody's loading/unloading on-platform. But if you consider that Reading fits a much more ideal profile for DMU's with its stop spacing and all-day neighborhood walkup...the Somerville single-track doesn't allow for huge headway packing on both at once without starting to pinch the Eastern. With the Western Route you can at least boot everything that goes past Reading to Haverhill onto the Lowell Line and clear the slate for packing Reading short-turns. If they have to pause in Somerville for 2 extra minutes while a Newburyport/Rockport clears...no big deal on a short run that terminates 10 miles out of town. But if a Newburyport or Rockport that fills up all 6 of those coaches to the limit every time starts getting squeezed on schedule slots here or having to add minutes to the schedule to wait out frequent train meets in Somerville...problem. And transit degradation for those branches and heavy-ridership communities on both branches.

Some lines have different priorities than others. Lines with a couple of past-128/495-belt branches and heavy per-train ridership...not such good candidates, too much schedule load-balancing to get a clock-facing frequency you can set a clock to (it's still pretty frequent, but some headways have to be longer than others to mix branches). Single mainlines with excess capacity or ability to shift/overlap the 128- vs. 495-oriented services to accentuate capacity...very good candidates for clock-facing schedules on the inner portions.

The Newburyport/Rockport lines already have frequent service in the combined section during the peak. There is already one set that is used for a few Boston-Beverly short-turns during the peak. The idea would be for that set to have 6 DMUs and then break it up into two sets in Boston at the end of the AM peak to run short-off-peak trains to Beverly and maintain a 30-minute combined headway during the midday (Rockport, Newburyport, and Beverly trains combined). The two DMU sets would be recombined before the PM peak back to a six-car set . All of the constraints mentioned are not a problem for running 30-minute midday headways, since they already run 15-20 minute peak-headways.

Re: station names

I had the idea a while back the stations should all be named after the hills, to compliment cambridge (and the red lines) "city of squares" thing. Cobble hill, winter hill, college hill, etc

Re: station names

I had the idea a while back the stations should all be named after the hills, to compliment cambridge (and the red lines) "city of squares" thing. Cobble hill, winter hill, college hill, etc

It's a nice idea. Somerville is a city of hills and squares. Winter Hill doesn't have a stop on the GLX though. The "Gilman Square" stop is kind of between Prospect Hill and Winter Hill. To call it "Winter Hill" would kind of stretch that neighborhood boundary in a non-productive way. "Lowell Street" is between Spring Hill and Magoun Square. Ball Square is self-evident. College Ave might get shifted to "Tufts" over anything-hill. The deleted "Windsor Street" stop probably would have gotten "Medford Hillside." The tack on Route 16 stop should probably be called "Mystic" or "Mystic Valley" or something.

Last edited:
This is absolutely fascinating to me: Amtrak doesn't provide an even number of round-trips to ANY of the stations that some Regionals skip with the exceptions of Old Saybrook, Princeton Junction, and Aberdeen.

Westerly gets 4 southbound trains but 5 northbound trains a day,
Mystic gets 4 southbound trains but only 3 northbound trains a day,
Bridgeport gets 8 southbound trains but 7 northbound trains a day (and one each of those is the Vermonter),
New Rochelle gets 5 southbound trains but 6 northbound trains a day,
EWR gets 9 southbound trains but 10 northbound trains a day (and while all 10 northbound trains are Regionals, 3 of the southbounds are Keystone Service),
Metropark gets 20 southbound trains but only 12 northbound trains a day (and if Acela Express trains are counted, it becomes a 25/16 split).

The weirdest part of this is that other than Metropark (which is totally out there on a number of levels), every station with an unbalanced number of trips is only off by one trip.

It really wouldn't be that much of a big deal to add another stop one of at Westerly, New Rochelle, and EWR to three different southbound trains which don't stop there already, would it? Or an extra northbound for Bridgeport? Hell, more trains at Mystic is a lost cause anyway, I wouldn't complain about dropping it from one of the four southbound trains that serve it today to get an even number of round trips.

Very small idea:

Rename Fenway T station; maybe Fens, or Landmark, or something like that. Then, put an icon on the subway map indicating specifically that Kenmore (and maybe the newly renamed Fenway) station is the stop for the Red Sox (maybe just the Red Sox 'B' next to the name).

Just to help stop all those stupid arguments you hear from out of town tourists when you're on the D line leading up to a Red Sox game: "Where do we get off? " "Well, this stops called Fenway, that must be the one." "I thought Kenmore was closer." "Lets just go to the Fenway one, we know for sure that one's close."

Back