Regional Rail (RUR) & North-South Rail Link (NSRL)

Re: North-South Rail Link

That's only for a fraction of the length of the route. At both the north and south ends there would be lengthy new tunnels, including under the Charles River and along and under the Fort Point Channel.

And costly deep stations. And multiple portals on both ends.

Total layman question: would there be any point in doing a 4 track tunnel with no new station?

Yes.... Two pair of tracks is always best. The lack of such is why the MBTA is such a mess today. All it takes is one train breakdown and everything grinds to a halt (in both directions) when there's only 2 tracks. At least if you have 4 tracks and a train breaksdown on one, things can get re-routed to keep things moving. Or you can even take one set of tracks out of service to do regular repairs and not have to replace with all shuttle bussing as you have to do all the time on the MBTA. Even to do regular maintnance on weekends at time-and-a-half-salary. Or at night when it costs even more still to staff people then.

Ari made a blog post making an argument that it would be better to have only two stations anyways: Link

Ari made a blog post making an argument that it would be better to have only two stations anyways: Link

Ari's post makes the mistake of assuming that the location of NS surface platforms would be approximately the same as the location of the NS NSRL platforms. In fact, the incumbent plan calls for a 'NS' tunnel platform more or less midway between NS and Haymarket - which is about where Ari says the 2nd NSRL station should be anyway. (And the arena & GL / OR connections mean that there needs to be a station in that general area anyway...)

^That was my conclusion: Ari is right in suggesting 2 stations, but wrong in thinking that GC is the only alternative.

A NS-Haymarket station is already provisioned for, and depending on how deep and exact location, can practically reach either Aquarium or State on the Blue via escalators and moving sidewalk (particularly an inclined moving sidewalk). It would end up like Grand Central Terminal (89 E 48th St) or Chicago Union Station (Madison St Entrance) in that all you really need is extra fingers of egress reaching out from both ends.

Is the proposed route detailed enough to show what would happen at North Station? Like, it has to come above ground at some point, right? I might be missing something obvious, but how would this work / where, etc.?

Is the proposed route detailed enough to show what would happen at North Station? Like, it has to come above ground at some point, right? I might be missing something obvious, but how would this work / where, etc.?

It'd come above ground north of the river up by NorthPoint.

http://www.northsouthraillink.org/alignment/

So your role here is to ask random questions without doing any research, or what.

Except when taking the case of our coldest winter days, the difference in our scale of distance of Boston vs Manhattan or Los Angeles is very remarkable. Choose either North or South Station what's the longest walk?

Still way shorter than bazillions of Manhattan or LA walks.

Note location of North Station platforms for NSRL.

Also, I think by this point everyone recognizes that Central Station makes no sense and will never be built. Makes much more sense to find a way to connect the BL to the NS / Haymarket platform (either directly or through e.g. a ped link under sudbury or new chardon)

Thank you. What was obvious was that some of this was discussed in posts just two up from where i started reading, lol.

An entire station is def unnecessary but it would be really helpful if it did stop there. Even if it was only for the Indigo Line.

An additional Widdet (Amazon HQ or Andrew North) station on the commuter rail would work well. This is assuming that they can electrify all of the lines (electric trains can stop and start quicker).

An additional Widdet (Amazon HQ or Andrew North) station on the commuter rail would work well. This is assuming that they can electrify all of the lines (electric trains can stop and start quicker).

All the lines using the NSRL have to be electrified. The inclines are too steep for diesel locomotives (and the provisioning for exhaust removal would be very costly).

An entire station is def unnecessary but it would be really helpful if it did stop there. Even if it was only for the Indigo Line.

I cannot figure out what this means. What is the point of stopping the train if there is no station to enter/exit the train? This isn't the surface-running Green Line - there is no "less than an entire station." There is either a station where the train stops or there isn't a station and the train doesn't stop.

I cannot figure out what this means. What is the point of stopping the train if there is no station to enter/exit the train? This isn't the surface-running Green Line - there is no "less than an entire station." There is either a station where the train stops or there isn't a station and the train doesn't stop.

Calling it "Central Station" sort of implies to me that it would be similar in size and scope to something like North or South Station rather than a regular subway stop.

Calling it "Central Station" sort of implies to me that it would be similar in size and scope to something like North or South Station rather than a regular subway stop.

Well, it won't be a terminal, so it wouldn't look like NS or SS do now. It would be one or 2 platforms and that's all.

Personally I'm against central station and would prefer to see that money put into underground circulation (moving walkways, escalators, etc).

All the lines using the NSRL have to be electrified. The inclines are too steep for diesel locomotives (and the provisioning for exhaust removal would be very costly).

Quick question: Is the plan to electrify the relevant lines before starting on the NSRL or will the two projects be in conjunction?

Well, it won't be a terminal, so it wouldn't look like NS or SS do now. It would be one or 2 platforms and that's all.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Ideally it would just be within Aquarium.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Ideally it would just be within Aquarium.

If by "in Aquarium" you mean 150 feet (12-15 stories) below the surface:

NSRL+Profile-VHB+DEIR-MIS+Fig.+2.5-7.jpg

The depth is mind boggling. That is why many folks see inclined moving walkways and escalators to be decent solutions to distributing people from the underground stations to distant locations. It isn't like you just hop off the BL and onto the CR. It will be a massive elevator or a dizzying series of escalators. You might as well use those escalators to traverse some distance in an east/west fashion and not just straight up/down.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the electrification requirement also mean that large stretches of the existing commuter rail network would also need to be electrified to take full advantage of NSRL? I used to live next to the Haverhill line, for example, and that definitely wasn't electrified. I am making this assumption based on locomotive usage...
But then again perhaps there are diesel/electric convertibles that could share mixed electrified/non-electrified track networks? If the latter, then is it reasonable to do locomotive fleet replacements along a timescale compatible with NSRL completion?
Thanks!

Back