Rio Grande (née Dudley Square Residential Tower) | Washington St. | Roxbury

Re: Dudley Square Residential Tower | Washington St. | Roxbury

It's the flag of Jamaica. Pander much?

And now that I see it from another angle I approve of the setback and reuse of the base building.

Eh, the Jamaican flag is probably an attempt to honor Kenneth Guscott, the original developer who passed away. His parents were Jamaican immigrants and he himself was the Honorary Consul to Jamaica from Massachusetts for almost two decades.

IAG/Public Meeting tonight:
http://www.bostonplans.org/news-cal...g?hootPostID=6358e7ee01fc37d0a9ca24f3cf9467e5

Rio Grande Impact Advisory Group/Public Meeting
Jun 27, 2017 | 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM

Type: Public Meeting

2315 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02119

Description:
The project site is in the Dudley Square Commercial District, an important commercial and cultural center for the Roxbury community. ​A​cross Washington Street is the MTBA Dudley Terminal bus station and the newly constructed City of Boston Bolling Municipal Building utilized primarily for the Boston School Department.

The proponent plans to develop a mixed-use retail, office and residential complex. The former Roxbury Institute for Savings Building and the former Boston Consolidated Gas Building are contributing structures to the Dudley Station Historic District and are key components of the project. In addition to these two structures a third component of the project is a new 25 story primarily residential tower to be constructed ​​and an existing surface parking lot​.​

Also this thread should be renamed to Rio Grande (née Dudley Square Residential Tower)

IAG/Public Meeting tonight:
http://www.bostonplans.org/news-cal...g?hootPostID=6358e7ee01fc37d0a9ca24f3cf9467e5

Also this thread should be renamed to Rio Grande (née Dudley Square Residential Tower)

Did anyone go?

I cant stand the name. Rio Grande? Has absolutely nothing to do with Boston. Not that it has to be Pilgrim or Eliot or the usual nonsense, but this name just clashes with its location.

Did anyone go?

I cant stand the name. Rio Grande? Has absolutely nothing to do with Boston. Not that it has to be Pilgrim or Eliot or the usual nonsense, but this name just clashes with its location.

I hate the name too. On top of that (literally) is the Jamaican flag...

I hate the name too. On top of that (literally) is the Jamaican flag...

Right, which is also totally incongruous with the name, but at least there is a Jamaican community in Boston... The Kingston or some other Jamaican reference would at least make sense.

Right, which is also totally incongruous with the name, but at least there is a Jamaican community in Boston... The Kingston or some other Jamaican reference would at least make sense.

Per Wikipedia:

"The Rio Grande is a popular river of Jamaica, found in the parish of Portland. It was named when the Spanish occupied Jamaica in the 15th and 16th centuries."

Do a little homework folks.

There is more than one Rio Grande!

Per Wikipedia:

"The Rio Grande is a popular river of Jamaica, found in the parish of Portland. It was named when the Spanish occupied Jamaica in the 15th and 16th centuries."

And my comment about the developer and his roots (and thus the connection to Jamaica).

Per Wikipedia:

Who knew?

I still maintain this is not a good name for a Boston building.

Who knew?

I still maintain this is not a good name for a Boston building.

Come on there are so many bad, corny, pretentious building names in the city. Maybe its not supposed to be for you if you dont like it

How about The Dud? References the square and accurately describes its appearance (in this iteration anyway.) Please do this tower right, it will be the most visible thing here by far.

I'll never get over Rio Grande.

Per Wikipedia:

The presentation looked to have a slightly different rendering of the tower - not sure if this is the latest:

Ld1vrBdl.png

they had changed it from a nice, slender tower going to Pierce height with ugly, early stage renders to a considerably shorter stump fatty in the last go-round a few months ago. ...we don't do nice slender in Boston 98.7% of the time. why would we change now?

what's the holdup? we're well past a dozen highrises seemingly in limbo. whatever building they're going with, this has been in planning for years. approve it and build the ____ing thing already.

these endless apology tours because "we're gonna build something that adds affordable housing in Roxbury or Mission Hill or Charlestown or East Boston" is total bullshit. the process either needs to speed up ....or the planning for highrises, doubled. Jesus.

It's Roxbury. Did you really expect something as nice as the Pierce odura?

Im totally fine with that. It's boring and would hope it's not ugly, but this area desperately needs new housing.

Back