Rio Grande (née Dudley Square Residential Tower) | Washington St. | Roxbury

Re: Dudley Square Residential Tower | Washington St. | Roxbury

yeah, get the 4 neighborhood 300~390' going,
Dudley
2 Charlesgate W
45 Worthington
The Huntington

maybe a couple more at that height near the south end of the Greenway.

get what's permitted out of the ground.....

next, the 260-280' stuff at Tremont Crossing, Allston Yards, Southie, Bunker Hill, Dot Ave, maybe parcels 25 and 26 get done with their 300'

no eminent domain. no dozers....

a State official told me during the past week, "there are more air-rights projects planned...

"looking at freeway, rr tracks.... pretty much everywhere."

i'll try to get more out of him soon.

it appears we have another Roxbury housing article...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion...-for-boston/5KXdntRrBvXwPGpjNByqNL/story.html

Last edited:

Odura. No need to bring up every proposed tower inside of this thread.

I've heard that this tower is getting built in some form. They will make it work.

I've heard that this tower is getting built in some form. They will make it work.

Apparently has AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust involved in financing. That's a pretty good investor to have.

PNF is filed (pdf) and the Herald has a write-up.

Boston Herald said:
Constructing Roxbury’s tallest tower would cost $144 million for a 25-story residential and commercial building proposed for Dudley Square, according to detailed project plans submitted to the city.

The Rio Grande Tower, reaching a maximum height of 282.5 feet, would encompass 165 apartments, including 30 micro-units targeted toward young professionals, along with 46 condominiums and one floor of residential amenity space. About 20 percent of the residential units would be affordable to households making 70 percent to 100 percent of the area median income, while the remainder would be market-rate.

[...]

Two floors of commercial space totalling about 28,000 square feet and roughly 10,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space also would be included in the new tower.

Two existing commercial buildings would be integrated into the mixed-use project. The former Roxbury Institute for Savings Building would be renovated for future commercial, retail and entertainment uses, and the former Boston Consolidated Gas Company building would be renovated and continued to be used as a commercial office building.

riogrande001.jpg

riogrande002.jpg

Oh my... that mechanical penthouse...

Reminds me of 75 state street.

I'm drawn to the massing schemes in the background on that first image. Tremont Crossing, Northeastern U, and apparently lots of other forecast activity along Tremont Street.

Very exciting proposal for Dudley... it would be cool if they could get another 20 feet out of the mechanical suite for those flags.

Terrible. This will be Dudley's biggest boy and the best that can be done is 25 floors of drab, precast mediocrity? It doesn't get any lazier than this.

Hold on, Brad, we need to wait for real renderings first…

Sure hope I'm wrong but it's all too possible the final thing could look something like this, there is no shortage of precedent.

Hold on, Brad, we need to wait for real renderings first…

One must admit this is a bad start. As someone involved in the design process, you don't put something like this out there if it is not the predominant direction. This is where the BPDA needs to push the owners/architects to think a bit more.

cca

One must admit this is a bad start. As someone involved in the design process, you don't put something like this out there if it is not the predominant direction. This is where the BPDA needs to push the owners/architects to think a bit more.

cca

And to the extent that BPDA fails to do so, where BCDC should play a pivotal role.

And to the extent that BPDA fails to do so, where BCDC should play a pivotal role.

I did not say they would, but should. With a project of this size they will take a couple of runs through the BCDC as well.

cca

I agree this could be a lot better, but I also think some of you have outsized expectations for a (relatively) inexpensive tower in the middle of Roxbury. It isn't exactly the most desirable location in town....

I agree this could be a lot better, but I also think some of you have outsized expectations for a (relatively) inexpensive tower in the middle of Roxbury. It isn't exactly the most desirable location in town....

Agreed. The Dudley area and us building enthusiasts should just be happy this may happen and there's a large affordable housing section. Aesthetics are secondary here by a large margin. Maybe this can set the tone and another tower can be built in Dudley that looks pretty

Back