Rose Kennedy Greenway

All of this talk seems so subjective. It's like say I don't like the taste of bacon, therefore it must be bad (okay, it's bad for you...). The point is that the neighborhood groups involved with the Central Artery completion got there wishes: a mediocre mish-mash of parks that tries to be everything to everyone at once. Fountains? Check. Gardens? Check. Plazas? Check. Trees? Check. Grass? Check. Special lighting? Check.

I think the solution (as others have stated before) is that the Greenway should focus on one thing, and do it well, whatever that may be. Is it a promenade? Sort of. Is it a botanic garden? Sort of. Is it a neighborhood park? Meh...this is so frustrating.

Waldorf, I feel your frustration.

But what's your point?

Narrowing the roads alone would have a dramatic effect. I wouldn't even have much of a problem with a near empty lawn if it wasn't surrounded by a highway.

Catastrophe.

No further comment required.

I vividly recall the elevated highway, and I believe that in its present incarnation, THIS IS WORSE.

At least the elevated highway had character.
The city should make a deal to sell off the parcels to private developers so they can maintain them.

I actually believe this may end up happening because the city will end up stagnat for future growth in the city if Menino and the BRA stop strong arming developers.

You people have lost some perspective here...actully a LOT of perspective.

The highway had character??? The parks are worse??? Catastrophe??? Seriously???

I vividly recall the highway too; I work right across from where it used to be, and what I vividly recall is noise, pollution, congestion, smells, darkness, division...

These parks may not be rocking your world but they're a heckuva lot better than what used to be there.

^ Oh, I dunno; this could be a matter of opinion. I also think Causeway Street was better with the El.

You people have lost some perspective here...actully a LOT of perspective.

The highway had character??? The parks are worse??? Catastrophe??? Seriously???

I vividly recall the highway too; I work right across from where it used to be, and what I vividly recall is noise, pollution, congestion, smells, darkness, division...

These parks may not be rocking your world but they're a heckuva lot better than what used to be there.

What I'm saying is I would rather not have spent the money on the Big Dig. The taxpayers got robbed 12 or 16 Billion whatever the price tag was. Yes....... I would rather a park, but at this point it will probably cost an additional 200 or 300 million to maintain a year. Who do you think is going to pickup that tab?

One day the tunnels are going to be more used for more than just cars. On that day, the Great Big Auto Dig will have been worth it.

^ Oh, I dunno; this could be a matter of opinion. I also think Causeway Street was better with the El.
^I agree Boston feels like a small city with out the el,and the elevated highway,Almost like it's any city usa!

^^^ Agreed. That plus it successfully obscured the Tip O'Neill building.

Dover Street and the South End, a different story.

Causeway street was way better with the El...I wasn't old enough to experience the South End El (or at least it wasn't the kind of place suburban parents brought their kids to visit)

^ LaDIES, THERE WERE, from the Night.

El provided them with shadows.

ablarc is trying out bb's writing style?

I think I may be handicapped by optimism in this case, but I don't believe we're arguing that either the RKG or Causeway St. was better before their respective elevated transit infrastructure were removed. By demolishing them, the true potential of the streets is unlocked.

TRUE POTential was NOir.

NEVER reTURN !!! Gone for GOOD!

everyONE SAY we wILL MAKE IT GOOD. so now

Having access to IP addresses is what makes being and admin worthwhile.

Also, I think armpits is Van's illegitimate son (or perhaps long lost younger brother), who has tracked him down, but not yet worked up the guts to tell him the truth.

Causeway street was way better with the El...I wasn't old enough to experience the South End El (or at least it wasn't the kind of place suburban parents brought their kids to visit)

I agree about Causeway St with the EL Train. I never thought I would miss it but I liked that area better back then. It felt more like good old blue collared BOSTON. Now we have YUPPIE central.

Boston Globe - March 12, 2010
Another jewel lost in Greenway crown
Financing trouble ends plans for $80m cultural center

By Geoff Edgers, Globe Staff | March 12, 2010

Four years after showing off plans for a glitzy $80 million building on the Rose Kennedy Greenway, organizers of the New Center for Arts and Culture have decided to abandon those plans, leaving yet another empty space on the sprawling tract created by the Big Dig.

The organizers, who at one point said they had raised more than $20 million, blamed the economy for making it impossible to bring in enough money to build the Daniel Libeskind-designed structure on a site near Rowes Wharf.

The New Center?s mission has been to develop connections among groups historically separated by race, geography, and religion, through lectures, concerts, art exhibitions, and other events.

The center?s move is the latest setback for the 27-acre Greenway, which was once slated to include several cultural projects, including the New Center, a Boston Museum, and a $70 million Garden Under Glass operated by the Massachusetts Horticultural Society.

Only the Boston Museum project remains alive, if barely, though the Department of Transportation rejected its bid last month for a new site on the Greenway, and it has raised just $8 million of the $120 million it needs, organizers confirmed yesterday.

The YMCA abandoned a plan for a facility on another Greenway site after its price tag climbed to almost $70 million, and it is now working on a scaled-down version.

The New Center?s decision, made this week, came nine years after the late devel oper Edwin Sidman first proposed the center.

?We knew that in this economic environment we were not going to be able to raise the money,?? said developer Ron Druker, a member of the New Center?s board. ?We?re no different than the private fund-raisers, and we?re no different than Harvard University. We just felt it was time for us to make that decision.??

The New Center will not die. Instead, it plans to continue to present programming in a range of venues, from Temple Israel to the Boston Public Library and Boston College?s McMullen Museum of Art. The center?s eight-person staff will continue to plan events from its office on Tremont Street.

?It?s a relief,?? executive director Francine Achbar said of the decision to kill the building project. ?We concluded we should be focusing our energies on programming, which has been so successful.??

Not everybody was pleased about the decision, however.

?It?s frustrating,?? said State Representative Aaron Michlewitz, whose district includes the Greenway. He said that Greenway parks in the North End are vibrant, but the rest of the area is struggling to generate consistent traffic or even a common identity.

?We haven?t seen the activity we?d like to see along its entire length. And that?s what we need to see, especially after 16 years of construction from the North End to Chinatown,?? he said.

?It?s awfully disappointing that the economic situation has impeded the implementation of carefully thought-out plans,?? said Vivien Li, executive director of the Boston Harbor Conservatory. She said she expects some of the plans to be revived, but perhaps not for more than a decade.

Sidman proposed the New Center in 2001 as an institution supported largely by the Jewish community but with a broader cultural reach. In 2003, the center formed a board and hired the renowned Libeskind, an architect whose buildings include the Jewish Museum in Berlin and the Denver Art Museum?s expansion. That same year, the center launched its first program, ?Words on Fire,?? a multimedia festival inspired by the 70th anniversary of book burnings in Nazi Germany.

More recently, the New Center has launched programs for young professionals and families and brought a range of speakers to town, from New Yorker cartoon editor Robert Mankoff to composer Osvaldo Golijov. ?The Great God Debate,?? scheduled for March 23 with writer Christopher Hitchens and Rabbi David Wolpe, has sold so many tickets it has been moved from a 400-seat space at Temple Israel to the 1,000-seat John Hancock Hall, Achbar said.

?The board concluded that our programming has been so successful in these multiple venues we?ve used, and that there?s a real benefit at the moment . . . to having flexibility,?? said Achbar. ?A good model is the Celebrity Series. They don?t own a building and use whatever is appropriate for the size of the crowd.??

Despite not having its own performance space, Achbar said the New Center doesn?t plan to change its name. ?Center is both a physical space and a psychological place,?? she said.

Much has changed since plans for the Greenway were unveiled. The Massachusetts Horticultural Society proposed a botanical center spread over three sites, the Boston Museum project had architect Moshe Safde design a building for a plot near Quincy Market, and the New Center showed off drawings for a dramatic four-story structure with a theater, galleries, meeting rooms, and rooftop terrace.

Now all of those plans have been abandoned. Organizers of the Boston Museum decided to leave a site deemed too expensive to develop because of the challenges involved in accommodating ramps. It applied for another site, but was denied by transportation officials. That property is soon going to be opened for new bids, and the museum plans to reapply.

?We?re alive and kicking,?? said Boston Museum chief executive Frank Keefe. He said the museum project will find it much easier to raise the $120 million it needs if the state will award it the new site.

Thomas Piper, principal research scientist in the Department of Urban Studies and Planning at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said that for the Greenway to thrive, there needs to be more coordination between officials, developers, and the general public.

?First, the market is down,?? said Piper. ?But secondly, these projects are always proposed in a vacuum. By vacuum, I mean, developers and the cities look to each individual project as a stand-alone without integrating with the stretch of the city in a better way.??

State officials and Greenway advocates defended the New Center and said they appreciated the organization?s leaders for trying so hard to build.

?It?s too bad, but the Greenway?s success was never predicated on those buildings,?? said Nancy Brennan, executive director of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservatory.

?Its success is precipitated on a well-functioning, highly maintained, and active open space. I?ve heard some people say that now that the Greenway is open, you can actually stand on that parcel and look at the water. It?s a beautifully designed public park that people enjoy.??

Geoff Edgers can be reached at gedgers@globe.com. Casey Ross of the Globe staff contributed to this story.

Last edited:

Back