Rose Kennedy Greenway

So destruction of private property is okay, destruction of public property isn't? That's essentially what you are saying. Generally, I'd argue that destruction of property is not okay, but I acknowledge sometimes passions get the better of a crowd. The question is whether we are prepared to excuse the passions. Alternatively, how does the damage to property weigh against the damage to free assembly? I'd argue that last night, the damage to free assembly was the greater.

Henry -- you misconstrue the intent of my statement;

No -- destructiion of property is always wrong -- however if you feel that you must destroy property dumping tea into the harbor (you can always replace the tea) is less bad a behavior than detroying a statue or burining someone's house

Its just a simple matter of the gravity of the offense -- yelling and screaming invective is preferable to fists -- and fists are preferable to knives and guns

My real point however was that if you do a "public disobedience theatrical" -- then prepared to take the consequences -- the level of the consequences should be commensurate with the "offense"

Traditionally, when I was an undergrad at MIT -- we had an annual 'tuitoion riot" when the new tutiion was formally announced -- the riot ceremonially included yelling. banging on the "Great Sail" (Alexander Calder), buring some class registration cards, and then doing a minor civil disobediance -- blocking Mass. Ave at 77 -- for one complete light cycle -- we clearly violated at least one Cambridge ordinance - but the damage was minor.

In constrast there was a regular anti war march which paraded down Mass Ave from Harvard and as the demonstration passed by 77 -- the demonstrators spontaneously always seemed to have some red paint to throw on the steps. After each of these marches there was trash to be cleaned-up and the steps needed to be sand-blasted to remove the red paint -- this demonstration did real property damage and the perps should have paid for their miscreance -- as the anti war demonstration's damage to the MIT physical plant had a slight effect on the magnitude of the the next tuition increase

You're right. The punishment should be commensurate with the crime.

If you blocked a public street (Mass Ave) to air a private grievance with a private school over tuition -- I would support giving you a warning the 1st time, a violation the second time, and if you didn't move I would support your arrest. To air a private grievance, you can stop buying the product. You also have standing as a consumer to file a case in court.

If you were protesting a war which you politically were opposed to, I would consider that a public grievance. In my opinion, you then have the right to assemble in a public space.

I agree with you that spilling red paint and intentionally damaging public or private property is neither appropriate nor is it a constitutional right. If I were Mayor, I'd consider issuing a warning or calling for an arrest depending on the magnitude of the damage. With respect to the significance of our country going to war, I'd probably ask the judge for leniency if the infraction were some spilled red paint.

But if you damaged plantings as an incidental or hypothetical consequence of occupying a public space to air a public grievance, that merits no action. If it did, every city would just throw $$$ at landscaping in front of City Hall to prevent peaceable assembly. To a degree, as I've argued on this forum, Boston has been rapidly ceding public spaces to private interests and loss of rights is quite obvious even in reasonable freedoms to recreate, set up a picnic table, or host an event for your neighbors without a permit.

As for length of stay of Occupy Boston, I can understand concerns about the rights of other citizens and public safety. But the right to assembly is critical to the functioning of society, so the level of impact to public safety and access rights has to be commensurate with the level of political dialog. Clearly, if a lot of people are protesting, it's not a fabricated concern. Once it becomes a legitimate movement, I suspect the Constitution would support no limit on length of stay.

I don't think Occupy Boston needed to expand so quickly because the tents took up a lot of space on the first parcel. So if I were Mayor I would have asked Occupy Boston to provide a rough census. Then I'd make plans for the protest to expand once they reached a certain density in population too big for Parcel #1.

I think it looks pretty cool, I kinda wish we could see pictures of multiple adjacent parcels fully occupied.

Doubtful - Boston doesn't care about the ramp parcels since they are owned by the state. However the occupiers were arrested when they tried to camp out on non-ramp parcels since they are owned by the city (please note that this is per a BPD officer so YMMV).

In that aerial shot, notice that the Occupiers have taken great care to keep the driveway clear. Both so that the farmers' market trucks can continue to use it, and to serve as a 'main street' for the encampment.

I think they are required to per the police - the occupiers are calling the palate pathway 'Main Street' since it doesn't appear they're allowed to camp out on the driveway or the garden against the off-ramp.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You're right. The punishment should be commensurate with the crime.

If you blocked a public street (Mass Ave) to air a private grievance with a private school over tuition -- I would support giving you a warning the 1st time, a violation the second time, and if you didn't move I would support your arrest. To air a private grievance, you can stop buying the product. You also have standing as a consumer to file a case in court.

If you were protesting a war which you politically were opposed to, I would consider that a public grievance. In my opinion, you then have the right to assemble in a public space.

But if you damaged plantings as an incidental or hypothetical consequence of occupying a public space to air a public grievance, that merits no action. If it did, every city would just throw $$$ at landscaping in front of City Hall to prevent peaceable assembly.
As for length of stay of Occupy Boston, I can understand concerns about the rights of other citizens and public safety. But the right to assembly is critical to the functioning of society, so the level of impact to public safety and access rights has to be commensurate with the level of political dialog.......

I don't think Occupy Boston needed to expand so quickly because the tents took up a lot of space on the first parcel. So if I were Mayor I would have asked Occupy Boston to provide a rough census. Then I'd make plans for the protest to expand once they reached a certain density in population too big for Parcel #1.

Sicil... I think that we agree up to a point --- I don't want to deny protesters the right to protest with restrictive ordinances or bunker mentality by the government

On the other hand we can not tolerate encampments to spring up where and when they desire on either public or private property without the consent of the owners (private property or the citizens at large public realm)

For example while Woodstock was undoubtedly an "organic event" which grew beyond what was originally planned -- all of the "live-in" was held on property leased for the duration from a landowner who could always be compensated by the organizers. Consider a hypothetical Woodstock where the crowd had descended on relatively near-by Albany and they chose to camp on and in the NY State Capital complex to urge the legalization of marijuana. Would those protesters have a legal right to camp within the NY State Assembly Hall -- just to present their grievances I don't think so

Similarly it is now time for the Occupied Camps (referred to by some as the "Flea party") in Boston to get broken down and the area cleaned-up ... whether or not they have defined a reason for the "occupying" -- they certainly have gotten the attention of the media and visibility with the public

Where in the US Constitution is public space is to be protected from use or trampling by civilians?

Where is a length of stay even remotely suggested in the US Constitution?

The framers feared the possibility of a government amassing too much power, so they were allowing for the possibility of governmental change through assembly and airing of grievances in public space -- regardless of how offended the sitting gov't was or other citizens were in the process.

As for length of time, I suppose that a peaceful protest in a public space might take years to gain momentum. I have no idea how long it takes, and I assume the framers didn't suggest that a peaceful revolution might take a week or a month.

I'm not suggesting Occupy Boston is the be all and end all of protests, but it's hard to believe people are coming down on them in light of the kind of protests that the framers of the US Constitution were probably envisioning -- possibly much more repellent protests than we are used to.

At this point in history (and this discussion) I'm not sure the citizenry proves worthy of the protections. So if they are lost, it is nobody's fault but our own. Here we are talking about Woodstock, potential damage to plantings, worries about spilling red paint, etc. -- the framers would laugh!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

True -- but the right to peaceably assemble to petition the Government for redress of grievances -- is not the same thing as to permanently squat on public or private property. Suppose that the same camps were set up one day 10 years ago when the area was an active construction site -- would that be OK to block all of the construction activity and disrupt the temporary traffic flow?

The answer of course is NO -- there are limits -- not set by the US Congress -- but set by the local municipality where there are fast moving cars on highways, bicycle messengers, subways with electrified rails, etc., reservoirs that are part of the public water supplies and yes even parks.

The municipality on behalf of its citizens -- can and should define for the maintenance of public order and safety places where public assembly is acceptable, for what scale and for what duration. So for example you and your associates, friends, etc., can gather to march in front of a public building such as city hall or the statehouse -- as long as your event doesn't prevent ordinary citizens from coming and paying their water bills, etc. However, if you want to hold a rally with 100,000 -- you had better be prepared to request and comply with a permit which defines the location, support facilities, etc.-- You most assuredly don't have the right to just show-up and camp for 3 months without any advance preparation, etc.

Mayor whighlander:

"Revere, listen to me. Tell the preacher to signal one if by land, two if by sea, but do nothing without first securing a permit from King George. Make sure your plans consider public safety.

And the FastLane to Concord and Lexington is reserved for Bank of America customers."

Where in the US Constitution is public space is to be protected from use or trampling by civilians?

Where is a length of stay even remotely suggested in the US Constitution?

The framers feared the possibility of a government amassing too much power, so they were allowing for the possibility of governmental change through assembly and airing of grievances in public space -- regardless of how offended the sitting gov't was or other citizens were in the process.....

I'm not suggesting Occupy Boston is the be all and end all of protests, but it's hard to believe people are coming down on them in light of the kind of protests that the framers of the US Constitution were probably envisioning -- possibly much more repellent protests than we are used to.

At this point in history (and this discussion) I'm not sure the citizenry proves worthy of the protections. So if they are lost, it is nobody's fault but our own. Here we are talking about Woodstock, potential damage to plantings, worries about spilling red paint, etc. -- the framers would laugh!

UH -- the framers were not anarchists -- nowhere in the Constitution does it remotely say that vigilantism is protected -- indeed what you are suggesting is the total disruption of everyday society -- in most places that is not protest -- it means revolution

We had a dose of that after the US had an initial government -- Shay's Rebellion - some of the issues sound remarkably modern

from the wikipedia artilcle:

Daniel Shays was a poor farmhand from Massachusetts when the Revolution broke out. He joined the Continental Army where he fought at Battle of Lexington, Battle of Bunker Hill, and Battle of Saratoga, and was eventually wounded in action. In 1780, he resigned from the army unpaid and went home to find himself in court for the nonpayment of debts. He soon found that he was not alone in being unable to pay his debts, and began organizing for debt relief....

The financial situation leading to the rebellion included the problem that European war investors (among others) demanded payment in gold and silver; ...wealthy urban businessmen were trying to squeeze whatever assets they could get out of rural smallholders. Since the smallholders did not have the gold that the creditors demanded, everything they had was confiscated, including their houses.
At a meeting convened by aggrieved commoners, a farmer, Plough Jogger, encapsulated the situation:
"I have been greatly abused, have been obliged to do more than my part in the war, been loaded with class rates, town rates, province rates, Continental rates and all rates...been pulled and hauled by sheriffs, constables and collectors, and had my cattle sold for less than they were worth...The great men are going to get all we have and I think it is time for us to rise and put a stop to it, and have no more courts, nor sheriffs, nor collectors nor lawyers."

It was decided that the legislature (General Court) in Boston would be petitioned.....Veteran Luke Day of West Springfield, Massachusetts asked the judges holding the confiscatory hearings to adjourn until the Massachusetts legislature met....on September 19, the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts indicted eleven leaders of the rebellion as "disorderly, riotous, and seditious persons." Incensed by the indictment, Shays organized seven hundred armed farmers, most of them war veterans, and led them to Springfield. As they marched their ranks grew, and some of the militia joined along with additional reinforcements from the countryside. Boston elites were mortified at this resistance. The judges first postponed hearings for a day, then adjourned the court. Massachusetts Governor James Bowdoin commanded the legislature to "vindicate the insulted dignity of government." Samuel Adams claimed that foreigners ("British emissaries") were instigating treason among the commoners, and he helped draw up a Riot Act, and a resolution suspending habeas corpus in order to permit the authorities to keep people in jail without trial. Adams proposed a new legal distinction: that rebellion in a republic, unlike in a monarchy, should be punished by execution.....

After several years of ad hoc popular conventions sending petitions to the Massachusetts General Court for tax and debt relief, and protesters shutting down local courts to prevent judges from enforcing debt collection, Massachusetts Governor James Bowdoin ….dispatched a militia financed by Boston merchants headed by former American Revolutionary War General Benjamin Lincoln as well as General William Shepard's local militia of 900 men to protect the Springfield court so that it could continue to process property confiscations.... The rebels were dispersed in January 1787 with over 1,000 arrested. Bowdoin declared that Americans would descend into "a state of anarchy, confusion, and slavery" unless the rule of the law was upheld.....Shays sent a message to Luke Day proposing to seize weapons from the Springfield armory on January 25, 1787, before Lincoln's 4,000-man combined Boston and Springfield militia could arrive. Day's response that his forces would not be ready until January 26 was never received by Shays (a real-world example of the Two Generals' Problem). Shays's militia approached the armory not knowing they would have no reinforcements.
General Shepard's forces were unpaid and without food or adequate arms. Shepard had requested permission to use the weaponry in the Springfield Armory, but Secretary of War Henry Knox had denied the request on the grounds that it required Congressional approval and that Congress was out of session....When Shays and his forces neared the armory, they found Shepard's militia waiting for them. Shepard ordered a warning shot; the two cannon present were fired directly into Shays's men. Four of the Shaysites were killed, twenty wounded. There was no musket fire from either side. Crying "Murder!", for they never thought that their neighbors and fellow veterans would fire at them, the rebels fled north. On the opposite side of the river, Day's forces also fled north. The militia captured many of the rebels on February 4 in Petersham, Massachusetts; by March there was no more armed resistance.....Shepard reported to his superiors that he had made use of the armory without authorization, and returned the weapons in good condition after the armed conflict had ended.
Several of the rebels were fined, imprisoned, and sentenced to death, but in 1788 a general amnesty was granted. Although most of the condemned men were either pardoned or had their death sentences commuted, two of the condemned men, John Bly and Charles Rose, were hanged on December 6, 1787....Shays himself was pardoned in 1788 and he returned to Massachusetts. ….Thomas Jefferson, who was serving as an ambassador to France at the time, refused to be alarmed by Shays' Rebellion. In a letter to a friend, he argued that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."[18] In contrast to Jefferson's sentiments George Washington....in a letter to Henry Lee wrote in regard to the rebellion, "You talk, my good sir, of employing influence to appease the present tumults in Massachusetts. I know not where that influence is to be found, or, if attainable, that it would be a proper remedy for the disorders. Influence is not government. Let us have a government by which our lives, liberties, and properties will be secured, or let us know the worst at once." ….James Madison addressed this concept by stating that "Liberty may be endangered by the abuses of liberty as well as the abuses of power."

Suppose that the same camps were set up one day 10 years ago when the area was an active construction site -- would that be OK to block all of the construction activity and disrupt the temporary traffic flow?

The answer of course is NO -- there are limits -- not set by the US Congress -- but set by the local municipality where there are fast moving cars on highways, bicycle messengers, subways with electrified rails, etc., reservoirs that are part of the public water supplies and yes even parks.

In your example, there would be a clear safety issue. That is indeed a justification for police to compel the demonstrators to move or reconfigure. That isn't the case today. There are significant differences in impact, but imagine your concept applied to the Revolution. Washington would have needed a permit from the Crown in order to assemble his troops at Valley Forge.

How we view freedom of assembly, and how we determine when enough is enough, cannot be defined by statute. It's much like the definition of obscenity written by Justice Potter Stewart: "I know it when I see it." That's as close as we'll get to a definition. The crucial matter is how many people see it. If most people see it as an appropriate assemblage, then cracking down on it will get more people on the side of the protestors. I think most people in this instance see it as appropriate.

If everything in the US followed the rule strictly by the book, the US would be a utopia. But it's not. I don't care if the protesters are getting arrested. In fact the more the better because through this, they gain more sympathizers and more support. I obviously won't call for violence either but if the government isn't willing to make any changes, then the people will have to make the changes themselves.

In your example, there would be a clear safety issue. That is indeed a justification for police to compel the demonstrators to move or reconfigure. That isn't the case today. There are significant differences in impact, but imagine your concept applied to the Revolution. Washington would have needed a permit from the Crown in order to assemble his troops at Valley Forge.

How we view freedom of assembly, and how we determine when enough is enough, cannot be defined by statute. It's much like the definition of obscenity written by Justice Potter Stewart: "I know it when I see it." That's as close as we'll get to a definition. The crucial matter is how many people see it. If most people see it as an appropriate assemblage, then cracking down on it will get more people on the side of the protestors. I think most people in this instance see it as appropriate.

Henry -- in our era -- Revere might have been a level 3 sex offender -- the legend has it that he muffled the oars of his row boat wih the still warm petticoats of some sweet young thang -- that was so he could slip unoticed by the HMS Somerset III (Note: its wreckage was recently rediscovered in the sands of Cape Cod)

Anyway Boston was an occupied city in 1775 (4,000 British Troops and several significant warships).

From the wikipedia "In 1774 [Gage] was also appointed the military governor of the Province of Massachusetts Bay, with instructions to implement the Intolerable Acts, punishing Massachusetts for the Boston Tea Party. "

Gage published a decree puting martial law was into effect -- you needed a permit from General Gage to walk after dark from the Common to the Mill Pond

There is nothing remotely similar to the situation then and now.

rather the contrast should be made between te Occupyers and the various permited demonstrators who were given a place to protest during the 2004 Democrat national Convention in Boston

Thanks for the history lesson, I'm up to speed on these things without need to reference Wikipedia. Of course the situation isn't directly comparable, that's the point! Revere was sending warning to armed protestors. The folks on the Greenway are armed only with words, yet it seems some see them in the same way that King George saw the Minutemen. That's an over reaction. As you say, there is nothing remotely similar. I created a stark comparison to illustrate the extent to which I believe your view is an over reaction.

As far as the DNC restrictions go, that was bullshit too.

from 10 stories up
007-37.jpg
008-35.jpg

from 10 stories up]

Amazing -- as I was landing at the Mumbai arirport en route trom Chandigarh to Hyderabad I saw something like that -- a large area right outide the airport fence mostly covered in blue (some slummy tenements didn't have any blue on them)

From the distance I thought perhaps it was some sort of renovation project covering open roofs to keepout monsoon rains. On closer inspection -- it turned out the the blue tarps were permanent housing for some tens of thousands of people who lived on the edges of a giant metropolis but couldn't affort a house

The occupyers are not poor, they can afford housing, most actually have a job (based on interviews conducted by respected polling firms), they don't really have any 'Bill of particulars"

many are there for the 'experience" e.g. smoking, making out, hanging out

It's time for them to go home

If everything in the US followed the rule strictly by the book, the US would be a utopia.

No... It would be Germany.

Ever get pulled over on the Autobahn? The cop walks over to your car with a traffic rule book that is as thick as a phone book just to show you what you did wrong.

It's time for them to go home

What would we do without people like you to tell everyone where he needs to go?

I self-identify as a dissident. If there ever actually is some sort of revolution, I'll be shot by both sides.

That said, isn't it time for "the kids" to "occupy" a community center, soup kitchen, homeless shelter, or Habitat for Humanity job-site?

Fifteen years ago, I worked in the credit-granting industry. I'd rather play piano in a whorehouse -- it's more honest work. There's enough room under the bus for both sides of the aisle, and every lobbyist in Washington DC. Can we please move on?

Back