Rose Kennedy Greenway

I find the only places that use these silly monikers like the Waterfront District or the Ladder District are rags like Stuff and the Improper when they are trying to sound cool (don't even get me started on The Bean).

Then again, Downtown Crossing caught on, so who knows...

First off, I like the changing of the name. Calling it the 'Rose Kennedy Greenway' is too much...it's like insisting on people calling me by full name, including the middle name all the time. Just doesn't sound good and doesn't roll off the tongue.

I also agree with the 'District' question and the idea of just naming it the Waterfront. Oftentimes, the simplest things catch on. This is a prominent stretch of the city on the water. Waterfront sounds perfect to me.

Also, do we really need foundations, corporate types and politicians naming everything for us? Why not just let the people come to some sort of consensus on its name. The Greenway is an open park chain for the public. Over time, the people who use it and spend time there most often would certainly come up with something adequate. It doesn't have to be official or anything...and it would add something of a hometown flavor to it all. Just designate it as the Waterfront on maps of Boston and let the people come up with any name they want for it.

from a San Fran newspaper -If you're one of those people who assumes Boston hasn't changed since Fenway Park opened and Faneuil Hall was freshened up, here's a suggestion for the next time you hit town: Check out Louis' new digs.
The ultra-luxe clothing shop spent its first 85 years in the stately Back Bay neighborhood, the last 20 in a classical mansion built for the New England Museum of Natural History. But in April, it moved into a sleek box of corrugated steel and stained wood on the emerging South Boston waterfront, due north of the Institute of Contemporary Art designed by the avant-garde New York architectural firm Diller Scofidio
+ Renfro.
These cultural and architectural shifts are telling in a city whose image remains defined by a palpable sense of the past, soothing and staid. Yet central Boston is more expansive and intriguing than ever, especially when you travel on foot.
Don't get me wrong: The cobbled alleys of Beacon Hill are as alluring as ever. The Public Garden remains the nation's most sublime urban park.
Would-be James Taylors still busk in Harvard Square.
But a waterfront long marked by barren stretches now has a long and lively promenade that puts San Francisco's Embarcadero to shame, scenery aside.
Downtown, the notorious $15 billion Big Dig is finished, leaving us with an underground artery buried beneath a milelong string of plantings and plazas dubbed the Rose Kennedy Greenway.
The greenway isn't a destination, at least not yet, unless you crave a scenic eerie calm. Better to make time for once-struggling districts such as the South End and Fort Point Channel that offer fresh terrain for the quintessential Boston joy: byways to meander and explore.
That ambling sense of discovery is part of the appeal of the Freedom Trail, the 2.5-mile path that links 16 historic sites by way of a red line embedded in the sidewalk - the obligatory starting point for first-time visitors, unless you're taking a cab straight from the airport to Fenway Park.
Yes, it's fun to start at Boston Common and then proceed to such genuine landmarks as the Old South Meeting House from 1729, where Samuel Adams and John Hancock declaimed against British control of the Colonies.
But I'd guess that first-time visitors are equally enthralled by what they see along the way, such as the impossibly narrow alleys of the 17th century Blackstone Block alongside the food stalls of the Haymarket, where vendors hawk produce and meat with the zeal of burlesque barkers.
What smart travelers will sense is that, Revolutionary landmarks aside, the Freedom Trail is just one route among many. The tight fist of Boston's 17th and 18th century street layout reveals itself on foot to be a sieve of curved blocks and alleyways, architectural delights and weird juxtapositions of scale.
For instance? Old South Meeting House marks the beginning of Milk Street.
Across the way is the Boston Post building, built of cast iron after the ruinous 1873 fire and adorned with a bust of Benjamin Franklin, who was born on the site.
The next block reveals the International Trust Co. building at 45 Milk St.
from 1893 with its allegorical carved figures representing Commerce, Industry, Security and Fidelity.
Soon you're at Post Office Square, where a parking garage in the early 1990s made way for immaculately maintained trees and shrubs and seasonal color around a central lawn. Fair trade coffee
If the scene is too idyllic - or you have no need for the free Wi-Fi
- continue three short blocks to the corner of Broad and Milk streets, where a five-story former warehouse from 1863 manages to cap rough granite walls with a stylish mansard roof.
Inside is the local and low-key Flat Back Coffee which, Bay Area visitors will be relieved to know, specializes in "organically grown, fair trade and shade-grown coffees."
You can double back from here to the Freedom Trail in five minutes - or walk one block north to Water Street and take a left for an equally atmospheric show with a different architectural cast.
This cityscape is exotic by American standards, and it's why travelers to Boston for decades have been charmed by such neighborhoods as the Back Bay, Beacon Hill or the North End.
The difference today is what lies beyond, yet close at hand.
The South End neighborhood, for instance, is now an instinctively accessible part of the walking city, a meandering loop you can enter by heading down Columbus Avenue from the Public Garden.
The neighborhood had a burst of growth and glory after the Civil War and then sat moribund for more than a century - eclipsed as a residential address by the Back Bay, sliced by an elevated rail line suspended above the historic main drag of Washington Street (which, historic note, began life in the 1600s as the only route on the thin neck of land connecting the settlement of Boston to the mainland).
While pockets were restored and gentrified as far back as the 1970s, it's only since the removal of the elevated rail in the 1990s that the neighborhood has become a place where outsiders can wander without wondering if they've turned the wrong corner.
The orderly procession of diagonal boulevards, red-brick townhouses and thick-shaded squares bears little resemblance to the cluttered gray delights of the Freedom Trail, but your modus operandi should be the
same:
Follow whims. If a forested crescent like Worcester Square beckons, amble in. Leave the wide arterials for narrower ones, such as Shawmut Avenue and its stoop-lined sidewalks. If a bistro catches your eye on Tremont Street, settle in.
It's still a neighborhood with a mix of incomes and ethnicities: The Cathedral housing project stands across Harrison Avenue from a newish condominium complex where a two-bedroom condo on my visit was offered at $569,000. A former school on the same block is a community arts center.
At least for now, there's a sense of the overlapped city rather than a hermetically sealed enclave.
Another new/old frontier lies south of the Financial District, in the warehouses that once stored wool along Fort Point Channel. The best way to enter is on foot, across the wide dark waterway via the Summer Street Bridge. Once you cross, plunge down quiet Melcher Street. It's a deep chasm of steep masonry: loading blocks and red brick on your left, generous windows and yellow brick on your right.
Another sort of view is available nearby on Farnsworth Street from the spacious concrete porch of Flour Bakery and Cafe. Across the way is Hacin
+ Associates' FP3 - five stories of dark new brick topped by three
+ stories
of copper-clad penthouses, angled and attractively stark. Best of new Boston
This is the best of the new Boston: informed by history but adding to it with intelligent restraint.
At the end of the block the road gives out - more of that incidental footpath charm - and so you pick your way through a clearing to the waterfront through what feels less like a neighborhood than a collection of buildings amid a plateau of parking lots that signal more buildings to come.
Why bother? Because of the payoff: the sumptuous Harborwalk. In areas such as the North End waterfront it is hemmed in by buildings, but from Fort Point Channel south it is inviting and broad. Handsomely paved in cobblestone, some stretches offer formal gardens while others are accented by enjoyably informative plaques that fill in details about the waterfront's ecology and history.
Like the Greenway, it's a work in progress. But the Harborwalk is a lot more fun, especially here. At LouisBoston there's a lawn, an odd beguiling touch. At the Institute of Contemporary Art, the building facade turns into a stepped wooden amphitheater that doubles as the most inviting place to sit along the harbor.
Gone are the days when Boston seemed frozen in time. What hasn't changed is the tactile sense of place - more and more, one that includes an element of surprise. If You Go GETTING THERE
From Logan Airport, the best way to get downtown - and get in the mood for your visit - is by taking a water taxi. Three services are available, with a one-way fare of $10, and you'll likely have the boat to yourself. For more information go to bit.ly/aaHdty. There's also service on the MBTA Blue Line subway. WHERE TO STAY
Lenox Hotel, 61 Exeter St., (617) 536-5300. www.lenoxhotel.com.
Boston has no shortage of classic hotels and inns, but this one manages to feel stylish and timeless at once.
Club Quarters Boston, 161 Devonshire St., (617) 357-6400.
www.clubquarters.com. Nothing fancy but the prices are relatively good and the location can't be beat: around the corner from Post Office Square.
WHAT TO DO
Boston National Historic Park, 15 State St., (617) 242-5642.
www.nps.gov/bost/. The Freedom Trail starts on Boston Common at Park and Tremont streets; this visitor center has information on all the historic attractions nearby, as well as genuinely helpful rangers.
Institute of Contemporary Art, 100 Northern Ave., (617) 478-3100.
www.icaboston.org. The exhibitions can be hit or miss but are worth a visit if only for the design by Diller Scofidio + Renfro - the acclaimed New York firm now at work on the Berkeley Art Museum.
Brattle Book Shop, 9 West St., (617) 542-0210.
www.brattlebookshop.com. If you love used books, don't miss this shop.
With two floors of treasures (history and politics are especially
strong) and a lineage dating back to 1825, it's an only-in-Boston gem.
Made in Fort Point, 12 Farnsworth St., (617) 423-1100. bit.ly/7RxjdP A great shop of arts and crafts by neighborhood artists, the folks who carved out loft space before the condo developers arrived. WHERE TO EAT
Clink, 215 Charles St., (617) 224-4000. www.libertyhotel.com. Strange but
true: The stone-walled Suffolk County Jail from 1851 is now a boutique hotel. It's worth a visit for the surrealistic transformation, and this bar with food is especially entertaining - you enter through openings that once led into prison cells.
Flour Bakery + Cafe, 1595 Washington St. and 12 Farnsworth St., (617) 267-4300 and (617) 338-4333. www.flourbakery.com. Berkeley-caliber pastries and good portable sandwiches with locations in both the South End and Fort Point.
Legal Seafoods, various locations, www.legalseafoods.com. There are now six in Boston, but the familiarity hasn't yet bred contempt: The fish is fresh and the wine list is the best around.

Yeah, I saw that. And then I lost all respect for John King.

But a waterfront long marked by barren stretches now has a long and lively promenade that puts San Francisco's Embarcadero to shame, scenery aside.
Downtown, the notorious $15 billion Big Dig is finished, leaving us with an underground artery buried beneath a milelong string of plantings and plazas dubbed the Rose Kennedy Greenway.
The greenway isn't a destination, at least not yet, unless you crave a scenic eerie calm.

Okay, at first I thought this was chock full of contradiction. But I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I guess he's distinguishing the "waterfront" and the Greenway. So then, is he talking about the Harborwalk? Even so, WTF???

There are probably more people inside the Ferry Building than on the entire stretch of the Greenway at any given time...or at least it feels that way.

Wait, now we're going to have a Greenway rebranded as "the Waterfront" that's not actually directly on the watefront...all competing with a neighborhood that's usually called the "Seaport" unless it's being claimed as part of South Boston, from which it's pretty well divorced, or being touted by Menino as the "Innovation District"?

My head hurts. Boston geography was easier when you could chart it by accent and not this week's press release from some developer or City Hall.

Brattle Book Store has 3 floors, not 2.

I want a contest to rename everything. I vote to re-name city hall the sludgepacking district.

Yeah, I saw that. And then I lost all respect for John King.

Okay, at first I thought this was chock full of contradiction. But I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. I guess he's distinguishing the "waterfront" and the Greenway. So then, is he talking about the Harborwalk? Even so, WTF???

There are probably more people inside the Ferry Building than on the entire stretch of the Greenway at any given time...or at least it feels that way.

The comments on John King's article are interesting. Even at least one comment from a poster here.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...kItemsPerPage=10&plckSort=TimeStampDescending

King's reference to the Embarcadero could be for that part between the Ferry Building and Pier 39, or that part between the Bay Bridge and Townsend St, just before the ballpark.

It's my humble opinion that there is nothing at all wrong with the Greenway - it's the real estate that abuts it that is a problem, and that can change.

Come on, Mike: six lanes of traffic... overly obtrusive bisecting cross streets... ramp parcels creating Berlin Walls next to Quincy Market of all places... unaccountable sinecured "conservancy"... please. The abutting real estate is of course a major issue but you must admit the Greenway itself does have some pretty major design and governance flaws that better buildings won't fix.

Odd. I've always been able to tell the difference between the the Financial District and the waterfront without any kind of marketing campaign.

Who are you getting to do this research? And more worrisome, who are they polling?

It's my humble opinion that there is nothing at all wrong with the Greenway - it's the real estate that abuts it that is a problem, and that can change.

The Waterfront District needs a name becuase it's technically still "The Financial District" and yet... it's not. Without a name, people call it all kinds of things as our research indicated.

The Waterfront District is hotels, offices, restaurants and retail. The Financial District is office towers. There is a real need for a distinction.

I've always been under the impression that the waterfront area and the Financial District are two pretty distinct areas. Do we really need to brand every area of the city to ensure that people can differentiate between a mass of office towers and a waterfront area? I'm of the belief that people can call it whatever they want to call it. Let a name develop organically rather than have marketing firms brand every area of the city. It can become a bit tacky in my opinion.

As far as the Greenway is concerned, I believe that, with the time, we will see it raise it's profile to become a more desirable location. That's what happens with just about everything, it needs to mature.

However, based on what this string of parks was SUPPOSED to be, I'm not sure that the Greenway would ever live up to that. The Greenway should be a unified string of parks offering a place for entertainment and relaxation for the people surrounding it. In addition, the Greenway should repair the torn fabric of that part of the city. In other words, it should connect the North End, Financial District, and Waterfront areas together. In addition, I felt like this would be a perfect opportunity to connect the North and South stations. I think, on the whole, it fails in that regard (connecting communities that is).

With maturation of the parks as well as a reorientation of the buildings/communities surrounding it, I think things will get better at the Greenway. However, based on what this is supposed to be and the potential for a project of this magnitude, I don't think the Greenway will ever quite live up to expectations.

It's a classic example of settling for 'good' when, in reality, a project of this magnitude, scope, and potential should have been shooting for 'exceptional' from the very beginning.

In my personal opinion, there is no such thing as "The Greenway" - there is a set of under-used, small parks at the edge of the Financial District. Apparently, there's a smallish expansion of the Chinatown Gateway park. There's also two nice little parks on the edge of the North End. And a little something over near the Zakim that has O'Neill's head on a plaque. In between these little areas are interstate highway ramps. There is no singular "Greenway" - each area needs to define it's own sense of place. It's time for the Waterfront to detach from the Financial District. This will help.

Just to add on to my previous post, I think you hit the nail on the head as to exactly why the Greenway doesn't live up to the potential and the opportunity that was present when the Big Dig started.

Yes they are pretty to look at and, individually, each park is fine. However, they are separated and disjointed, and lack the cohesion and flow necessary to bring the area stretching from North Station to South Station together. That was (and if it wasn't, it should have been) the main goal and task of the Greenway.

To put it in medical terms, the Central Artery was a massive gash in that area of the city, something that I presume we can all agree on. The Greenway should have been the stitching that brought everything together and healed the wound. It kind of did the job, but in the future, I think a lot of potential was missed with the product we have and there will always be a bit of a scar in that area unless some alterations are made.

Well Mike, you've successfully PoMo'd with my head. There's no such thing as the Greenway! This is very convenient for (not-the-)Greenway apologists... for example, if it's actually just little separate parks, why worry about the width and interruptions of the streets between them? And who cares if there's an interstate highway ramp or two, or five?

Unfortunately, prevailing discourse and political/bureaucratic realities says there is in fact a Greenway. If this wasn't the case, then half of those separate "greens" should be built on.

I don't disagree with you Sheperd. Mike Dukakis decreed that the highway would be replaced with empty space, not income-producing real estate. His infamous 75/25 rule.

The die was cast in the 1980s and you can't change it now. Nobody can. So it's my belief that a strong, mixed-use neighborhood surrounding the parks of the Greenway will be the area's best bet for success. I don't harp on needing to build within in the parks, even though I do believe that would help.

So does that mean that only one side of the Greenway will be rebranded? The FiDi side will remain, the Greenway in the middle, and the "Waterfront" to the east?

And/or, does the Financial District stop halfway up the Greenway, let's say for argument's sake, at International Place, so that north of there is the Waterfront, say for argument's sake, from the Aquarium Garage north?

Bunch of pieces regarding the Big Dig in today's Globe. I figured I would just post the link to avoid creating one colossal post.

Mega-Success for a Mega-Project:

FOR TWO decades, the Big Dig, with its ballooning price tag and inscrutable traffic patterns, made Boston the nation?s laughingstock. Now, the joke is on everyone else.

Unavoidable Maze of Financing:

FINANCING THE Big Dig is a 2010 campaign issue. Five years after project completion, this speaks volumes about the challenges associated with building and paying for a mega-project.

It all comes down to Transparency:

THE LEGACY of the Big Dig is a dramatic improvement in the transportation, aesthetics, and vitality of Boston, and a substantial infusion of federal funding into the regional economy during the 1990s. I am proud to have served as Governor Dukakis?s secretary of transportation in developing the concept and the transparency of process that Dukakis required

Quality Absent on Every Level:

IN REVIEWING the issues that created the most costly public works project in US history, it does little good to blame individuals, design flaws, substandard materials, or other isolated components of the Big Dig for the cost overruns, delays, shoddy construction, and ultimately, the death of a motorist. The single overarching factor lacking in this project that could have prevented these problems is a culture of quality.

A Lack of Financial Oversight:

FINANCIAL OVERSIGHT needs to be a major component of any public building project. But in the case of the Central Artery Third Harbor Tunnel Project in Boston, oversight was never contemplated nor provided for when the Legislature initially funded the project in the late 1970s. No thought was given to picking a monitor that represents the interests of the taxpayers and sees that the project would be delivered on budget and on time.

I was in Boston on Saturday. Downtown was actually very busy. The Greenway near IP had 3 people sitting on those red chairs. A much better improvement since last month.

I like the Waterfront District concept. Makes sense. I'm assuming that the Waterfront District is from Joes in the Northend to the Altantic Wharf?

I was in Boston on Saturday. Downtown was actually very busy. The Greenway near IP had 3 people sitting on those red chairs. A much better improvement since last month.

Yeah, what was up with that? It seemed like summer, what with all the tourists clobbering the place. Was it just the BC-ND and Yanks-Sox games doing that, or was something else going on?

Critics eye Greenway spending $300G on program for 9 teens
?Where?s the money going??
By Thomas Grillo
Friday, October 8, 2010 - Updated 9 hours ago

The Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy has complained about state cuts to its budget, but spent nearly $300,000 on a program that serves just nine teens - with more than half of the cost going for Greenway salaries and benefits.

?It strikes me as a very expensive program,? said Diane Valley, former chairwoman of the Greenway Gardens for the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, who learned of the program?s high cost at a Greenway board meeting this week. ?It doesn?t make any sense. Where is all that money going??

The budget for the ?Green & Grow? program - described by the Greenway as a way to train teens in ?sustainable horticulture practices? - is $285,393. Of that number, $166,414 is spent on salaries and benefits to administer the program, $52,951 goes to teen stipends and the rest pays for administrative costs, according to a Greenway financial statement for the period ending June 30.

Matt Conti, a North End resident, said it seems like a lot of money for an eight-week educational program that serves so few.

?Other summer programs serve hundreds of kids for a lot less money,? he said. ?The administrative salaries have been an issue at the Greenway, and nearly $1.6 million of their budget is spent on a staff of less than two dozen people, including part-timers.?

Nancy Brennan, the Greenway?s executive director, earns $225,000, which tops Gov. Deval Patrick?s pay of $140,535 and Mayor Thomas M. Menino?s salary of $169,750.

About half of the nonprofit Greenway?s $4.4 million budget comes from the state, which has urged the conservancy to find ways to cut costs. The Greenway operates the 15-acre park that was created with the demolition of the Central Artery.

In a letter to Brennan in July, Massachusetts Department of Transportation Secretary Jeffrey Mullan said, ?While we appreciate the level of effort and standards necessary to maintain the Greenway, the commonwealth?s current fiscal situation requires that we explore every option available to reduce cash expenditures for the horticultural and maintenance programs for the Greenway.?

Brennan defended the program?s cost, saying the first-year expenses for any new initiative are high, and the Green & Grow start-up included the one-time cost of hiring curriculum writers. She said Green & Grow is a special program that purposely offers ?deep training? with a low number of students.

?Our approach is to do a much deeper engagement and training with a fewer number of students that produces a higher caliber experience,? she said

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1287412

Good move, money sucking parks over revenue generating buildings. Nice one, Boston.

Back