Rose Kennedy Greenway

I think the Federal Reserve's location in relation to the square hurts it a bit. It makes the space feel bigger than it actually is.

A square that's only populated during office-drone lunch hour is not healthy.

I think everyone will agree that Post Office Square Park is a home run. As well used as that park is, it is never crowded except during lunch. After all, we are talking about the financial district. Nearly every city's financial district gets quiet when the office workers head home for the night.

Nearly every city's financial district gets quiet when the office workers head home for the night.

And most places consider that characteristic to be a vexing problem to be solved. Single use districts are a potential blight.

PO Square could only be considered a "slam dunk" in an 80s frame of mind in which enticing office workers out of their cafeterias and into some landscape-walled garden was a heroic feat of urbanism, and paying for the thing with underground parking wasn't a devil's bargain.

Carousel installation.

PXNni1G.jpg

Did anyone visit GC last weekend when they had those carnival rides? Would be nice if we could replicate it here in addition to the carousel.

The idea of a carousel is nice and all, but I don't understand why they went with such a small one, and did not build a real building around it so it could be used all seasons.

For example, the Bear Mountain Carousel is amazing. There is a decent snack bar, and apparently they host weddings too, which is what's going on in the second pic.

003_4.JPG

TRM-JGA-BM-10002.jpg

The windows open in the summer and you can hear and see the carousel like its right there.

The idea of a carousel is nice and all, but I don't understand why they went with such a small one, and did not build a real building around it so it could be used all seasons..

I think the carousel can be used at least 9 months out of the year. It's a 5 min (or less) ride so even if it is 40 degrees out, there is no reason why kids and adults alike cannot enjoy the ride with a sweater or jacket on.

So the Ice Bar isn't a summer-only temporary type thing?

Will they do patio seating in January?

So the Ice Bar isn't a summer-only temporary type thing?

Will they do patio seating in January?

Ice bars aren't usually seasonal. They're year round in Scandinavia too. Go figure.

I like. The animals look nowhere near as glossy and caricature-ish as they did in that one pic of them at the design studio.

Holy cow, kids are gonna be wild trying to figure which creature they want to ride and if they get it. Such a beautiful Carousel, what I call a Merry-go-Round. It's actually a piece of art with more individual pieces of artwork contained in it! I predict an instant hit for the Greenway and the city!

Last edited:

Back