Rose Kennedy Greenway

kmp1284 said:
a farmer's market, in the financial district? keep that garbage in somerville. I would rather have a barren dust wasteland than a bunch of farmers selling their crap to tourists. This is somehow a worse idea than building condos in an economic climate that doesn't make said development profitable.

Actually they already have a farmers market on the greenway: the Dewey Square Farmers Market. It's only open during the warmer months, however. It's located on the parcel just in front of the Federal Reserve building.

What's wrong with a farmer's market? The people who buy at such markets are primarily local residents, not tourists. They support our local New England economy. South Station is an ideal place for this.

Yeah, but the tourists already have their own neighborhood -- Faneuil Hall Marketplace and a good bit of the North End.

ZenZen said:
kmp1284 said:
a farmer's market, in the financial district? keep that garbage in somerville. I would rather have a barren dust wasteland than a bunch of farmers selling their crap to tourists. This is somehow a worse idea than building condos in an economic climate that doesn't make said development profitable.

Actually they already have a farmers market on the greenway: the Dewey Square Farmers Market. It's only open during the warmer months, however. It's located on the parcel just in front of the Federal Reserve building.

kmp1284, I'm wondering what you're picturing when you say move that crap to Somerville. Eastern Market on Capital Hill is an incredibly urban place. Or think of the Union Square Green Market in Manhattan, which is more farmers market-y, lacking as it does a permanent enclosure. Neither are touristy and both are treasured by the people that live around them. A lot of restaurants are supplied by the Green Market. I know several people that have purchased homes in Ft. Point Channel area, the leather district, the theater district and even downtown crossing, and they all have the same complaint--no place to buy food. And really, South Station is just as much a part of these neighborhoods as it is a part of the financial district.

The South Station Farmer's Market that Ron mentioned above is a good start, but I'm picturing a market that has bakers, butchers, fishmongers, florists, a cafe or two, and yes, a few farmers. A real working market, not a gimmick. A market like that not only should be in the middle of a dense urban place, it must be to succeed.

I think the best example in the country (at least as far as I know!) of what this market could be is Pike Place in Seattle. It is a very cool, interesting and thriving market that, being about as close to the water as a Greenway site, is a very good comp.

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org

Pike Place is great - bit touristy, but you can still get the essentials.

Here is a link to the Boston Public Market, both on the Greenway and the Old Northern Ave. bridge. I think they are working towards some sort of permanent, year-round farmers market, which sounds exciting.

Boston Public Market

Also, here is a link to the Greenway Conservancy's web site

Pike Place is great - bit touristy, but you can still get the essentials.

I always felt like the fish part of the market was almost "anti-touristy" because few tourists have the ability to cook a fish. Almost like a way of "proving" that it's not touristy. Well it worked on me.

The Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia might be another example worth considering.

What's the story behind this remnant?

Another remnant

What's going on with this plot?

kz1000ps said:

That's a piece of the old elevated artery - apparently the MTA thinks it's a work of art.

What's going on with this plot?

This is part of the Chinatown portion of the Greenway. There will be bamboo growing between those red, cage like things. The park will also contain a water fall. The Chinatown parcel is probably the best designed in the Greenway.

ZenZen said:
kz1000ps said:

That's a piece of the old elevated artery - apparently the MTA thinks it's a work of art.

I like the idea of keeping a small piece of the artery on the Greenway, at least for historical purposes if not artistic. I don't know if that's the best place for it though.

You're right. It feels like an afterthought, seemingly pushed off to the side of the walking area, with no garden plot or signage around it to let the passer-by know it's anything of importance.

I know about the green Central Artery column at the northeast edge of Faneuil Hall Marketplace, but where's this other one?

Intepretive signs identifying these relics are a good idea, but probably are waiting until other Greenway development proceeds.

That first shot with the greenery in place looks really nice. I never really thought about how much One Financial Center really dominates that end of the greenway like that. Too bad more of South station isn't visible.

Ron, that column is on the former MassHort parcel (nee Garden Under Glass). You know, the one with the big ugly vent building.

Somewhere on or near the Greenway, I'd like to see a permanent exhibit about the Central Artery, from planning and construction through active use, Big Dig construction, and finally demolition. This is an important part of Boston history that should be remembered in an official way.

Ron Newman said:
Somewhere on or near the Greenway, I'd like to see a permanent exhibit about the Central Artery, from planning and construction through active use, Big Dig construction, and finally demolition. This is an important part of Boston history that should be remembered in an official way.

Perhaps Portal Park, although small, is the best place for this. It's located at the portal of the main tunnel and the Zakim Bridge.

Joe_Schmoe said:
That first shot with the greenery in place looks really nice. I never really thought about how much One Financial Center really dominates that end of the greenway like that. Too bad more of South station isn't visible.

One of my favorite walks is down the Greenway from International Place towards South Station. Both the One Financial and the Federal Reserve towers loom ominously over the corridor as if guarding it. It looks spectacular especially against a clear blue sky. South Station Tower will undoubtedly add to this effect.

Back