Route 1 Project - Malden, Revere, Saugus

lol. I live walking distance from there. There is nothing of note between copeland circle and rt 99. Everything on the west side is accessible from 99. There is plenty of room between Lowes and rt 1 to widen the road. The owner of the Shell station will not be able to kill a project that will have such an overall benefit to the public. you ever seen what happens during rush hour because of this bottleneck?

Its amazing how much more perceptive the folks were in 1948 then when Frank (aka the corporal) Seargent killed everything inside 128 to placate some folks in Cambridge

while the Inner Belt would have been incredibly disruptive -- there were several major highway improvements which should have been built in the post 1970's -- RT-1 North of Logan has always been a handicap to the development in the Lynn to Cape Ann area

while I'm as strong a proponent as there can be for extending the Blue Line to Lynn and beyond -- it should be part of a larger scale transportation improvement project to integrate Lynn, Salem and Cape Anne into the overall region

Why is Route 1 an impediment to anything? It is fully grade-separated from any intersections, except for one lone traffic light in Lynnfield near 128. It works just like a real freeway except that it happens to have lots of abutting businesses.

I'm glad the Lynn Woods weren't bisected by a freeway, and wish the Middlesex Fells had been spared that indignity.

Ron, it is a three lane highway that has a section in the middle that is two lanes. It causes traffic backups that create unnecessary pollution. The stretch to be upgraded is a remnant of an old highway that was in existence prior to Rt. 1 being built from the Tobin to Revere. It needs to be upgraded. It should have been upgraded to 3 lanes each way 60 years ago.

It does not work well at all. Just drive it any day during rush hour or on the weekends all afternoon. It is a mess.

A simple pedestrian bridge can fix a bisected woods quite effectively

7224808850_e814a82dd7_o.png

Red - 6 lane, divided
Orange - 4 lane, divided
Light Orange - 4 lane, Rt 60
Yellow - Ramps
Green - Roads
Blue - BIKE PATHS, MOTHER FUCKER.

How I'd do it. Replace US-1 with rapid transit.

Urb -- thankfully you aren't the dictator of transportation
you wrote " How I'd do it. Replace US-1 with rapid transit. "

So a truck heading back to Gloucester coming out of Logan turns into a bunch of guys carrying empty cases that had held lobsters being shipped to Florida riding the Blue Line

What about the trucks carrying blueberries or bread to Logan?

Please -- when you are in charge -- note that highways carry other vehicles beside individual commuters in single passenger cars -- not easily replaceable by rapid transit lines

Why not shove the Blue Line/Orange Line branch under Route 1 if you're doing major construction work on that corridor already anyway?

The great thing about a subway is that it doesn't necessarily have to destroy a road to exist.

Urb -- thankfully you aren't the dictator of transportation
you wrote " How I'd do it. Replace US-1 with rapid transit. "

So a truck heading back to Gloucester coming out of Logan turns into a bunch of guys carrying empty cases that had held lobsters being shipped to Florida riding the Blue Line

What about the trucks carrying blueberries or bread to Logan?

Please -- when you are in charge -- note that highways carry other vehicles beside individual commuters in single passenger cars -- not easily replaceable by rapid transit lines

You didn't take the joke so I didn't read this post.

Isn't the planned project there going to remove the 4-lane bottleneck and make Route 1 6 lanes through the area?

It is, and it would also correct some 1930 era ramps that have unsafe geometry.

The anti-highway and NIMBY mentality in Massachusetts will probably kill this essential project.

It's not that 4 lanes are too little, it's that it the lane drop is for no reason (as opposed to being an exit only lane peeling off) and the lane drop is also on a rather tight curve. 4 lanes would be perfectly fine between ramps with 6 lanes between interchanges.

It's not that 4 lanes are too little, it's that it the lane drop is for no reason (as opposed to being an exit only lane peeling off) and the lane drop is also on a rather tight curve. 4 lanes would be perfectly fine between ramps with 6 lanes between interchanges.

Between 99 and Cutler Circle, yes. That's the bottleneck.

$10 million was earmarked in the latest federal transit bill. The 10 mil will go toward Rt 1 (from Rt 99 in Saugus to Copeland Circle in Revere), Copeland Circle, Bell Circle, Brown Circle, and various other Route 60 improvements from Linden Sq in Malden to the junction with 1A at Brown (or is it Bell?) Circle in Revere.

Today's Salem St ramps are crazy scary--too slow a climb up the hill and too fast a turnout coming down. A connector road that moved that on/off to a flatter place at the hilltop would be a safety & capacity improvement.

Do you know if any of the Route 60 (or other) work will include adding bike lanes?

Do you know if any of the Route 60 (or other) work will include adding bike lanes?

It's being done with Federal money, so I think it might have to if it can fit (I'm positive it could fit). Malden is doing over Pleasant St downtown and they have to add a bike lane to that street because of the use of federal funds.

The road at the bottom with the question mark was supposed to run through the marsh, parallel to Squire Road, all the way to Revere Beach. When you drive up the Lynn Marsh Road, you can see on the left where the overpass was supposed to be that would have crossed over Lynn Marsh Road - an elevated section that now is all covered with heavy brush and trees.

Since it seems to be the fad to bump this old thread..
It is a Single-Point Urban Interchange (SPUI) that allows left-turning traffic to/from the freeway to flow at the same time. It is a great design that works really well. I haven't seen many (any?) applications in the Northeast of it, but they are pretty popular in West/Midwest/Florida.

CTDOT built one on the Merritt Parkway in Trumbull to cope with heavy traffic turning left from the Parkway southbound going to the mall.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2322845,-73.220317,403m/data=!3m1!1e3

Back