Rules for Riding the T

I don't mean to target one race but uh...

Asian man at DTX, can you please let people off the bus first before you get on? No, don't just stand there in front of the fare box waiting for people to pass you to disembark.

This applies to anyone who does this though.

Oh and people that just missed the bus because they are midway between two bus stops, please don't attempt to stop the bus or knock on the door while the bus is in the middle of the road. You missed the bus, tough shit. Wait for the next one.

I have often thought that green line doors should be equipped with a sweeper arm to take out the knees of those standing right in front of the doors and not letting people off. Have you even seen that dumb show, "Wipeout"?

If there is someone charging onto a train or bus before anyone can even get off... 70% of the time it is an Asian person.

It's practically a scientific fact.

If there is someone charging onto a train or bus before anyone can even get off... 70% of the time it is an Asian person.

As someone who lived in Asia for 6 1/2 years and is married to an Asian, all iI have to say is...you are completely correct! Everytime an Asian person stops at the end of an escalator or pushes their way on to a bus, I tell my wife, "Talk to your people!."

As someone who lived in Asia for 6 1/2 years and is married to an Asian, all I have to say is...you are completely correct! Everytime an Asian person stops at the end of an escalator or pushes their way on to a bus, I tell my wife, "Talk to your people!."

You know what, fare evasion is uncool no matter who you are.

If you happen to be a field trip chaperone and the fare evasion you're engaging in is 'jam open the fare gates to let upwards of 15 children through,' that's even less cool.

Pay the damn fare :(

(BUZZ, BUZZ, BUZZ)

Yesterday at Coolidge Corner inbound AM, as the doors are closing, the "platform validator" MBTA employee yells into the train before the doors close: "Hope you all have a really wonderful day, everyone! Take care!"

Did anyone on the crowded car make eye contact, smile, or say thank you? No. Including myself, having gone into shock.

Yesterday at Coolidge Corner inbound AM, as the doors are closing, the "platform validator" MBTA employee yells into the train before the doors close: "Hope you all have a really wonderful day, everyone! Take care!"

Did anyone on the crowded car make eye contact, smile, or say thank you? No. Including myself, having gone into shock.

I like that guy - he works the mornings at Coolidge corner Tuesday-Friday and then heads to the red line for the afternoon. Very friendly and positive guy - wish everyone who worked for the T was as pleasant and hard-working as this guy (multiple times I've seen him hoof it to hold open back doors to badge people in who were running from the other end of the platform.

No, that's actually perfectly OK, since children under 12 ride free.

Really?

Well, I'll be damned.

Still, I would expect that the proper procedure is to get an employee to open the gates for you, instead of picking the farthest entrance from the T people...

I side with the lady. Bringing kids into contact with T employees could be considered child endangerment.

Not to mention, all the buzzes are logged into the system are "fare evasions". They keep a tally. It makes the stats look worse.

Not to mention, all the buzzes are logged into the system are "fare evasions". They keep a tally. It makes the stats look worse.

Interesting, never knew that. It always seems to buzz when I go through with my LinkPass at Gov't Center, usually when I have a bag (I'd guess that it's breaking the beam twice or something). It dings, opens, and then buzzes as I go through.

Perhaps a packed Orange Line car isn't the best place to loudly settle your domestic dispute?

Easter weekend, 2010. Blue Line between Airport and Orient Heights.

Two friends and I board the train and notice that everyone on the car is focused on the action in the trailing car. Many have their phones out, shooting video. In the trailing car, there's a middle-aged couple, certainly drunk and probably high as well, duking it out in the mostly empty car. I mean, they're throwing fucking haymakers. She has a mouse under her eye, and he's got a gash on his forehead. A handful of noncombatants huddle at the far end of the car.

Am I alone in wondering why my fellow passengers were more interested in acting like Marlon Perkins filming a troop of baboons than using their fucking telephones to call the T police? I did call the cops; by the time they answered my call, I was standing on my front porch, and the train was likely in Beachmont.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me the number of parents who take large strollers onto the T during rush hour. I always am amused at their frustration as they try to get onto a packed train.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of parents who take large strollers onto the T during rush hour. I always am amused at their frustration as they try to get onto a packed train.

I hardly see no strollers on the train during rush hour a s "rule for riding the T". It may be inconvenient, but car-less parents have every bit as much a right to public transit as anyone else.

While I certainly agree with that, the large 8 wheel(!!!) suburban SUV strollers should probably be exchanged for a simpler version when planning a trip around the city.

Yes. There are some strollers that are like the Chevy Suburban equivalent. Do you really need two cup holders, a place to store your bag, and a place to store your other bag???

Back