Running Summary of Major Projects

Maybe Whighlander can update the first post on this thread so it has a link for the google doc... will be much easier for people searching in the long run, especially if this gets a thread sticky on the development page.

Maybe Whighlander can update the first post on this thread so it has a link for the google doc... will be much easier for people searching in the long run, especially if this gets a thread sticky on the development page.

dsh -- Done

Happy New Year

Year of the Crane #3!

I didn't know where else to share this... Google Maps updated their aerial imagery. I had to do a double take because I thought, "does Boston look denser or is it just me?" Pretty cool to see Liberty Mutual, Berklee Dorm, NU dorm, and Fenway projects u/c in the aerials.

I didn't know where else to share this... Google Maps updated their aerial imagery. I had to do a double take because I thought, "does Boston look denser or is it just me?" Pretty cool to see Liberty Mutual, Berklee Dorm, NU dorm, and Fenway projects u/c in the aerials.

dsh -- we are living in times which 20 to 30 years from now might be considered the Legendary "Era of the Crane" when buildings lept from the ground in record time and where the drones taking the aerial photos where constantly airborne

Only time will tell

If you think Boston's experiencing an "Era of the Crane", you need to see what's been going on in Miami, FL.

The 1st photo was taken in 2007. The 2nd photo was taken 1 week ago at the end of 2013.

FD7rdDO.jpg

DSC_0684_zps4a1cba53.jpg

The cranes are never ending down there.

True story. I was at a real estate conference in Miami in October and it was insane how much development was coming out of the ground.

High rise residential developments in Miami are essentially bank vaults for laundered Latin American cartel money, with a pleasant view.

Miami's beautiful and I don't mind the look of the new towers. However, if I can't get around that city WITHOUT a car, then It'll still be a few notches below Boston for me.

High rise residential developments in Miami are essentially bank vaults for laundered Latin American cartel money, with a pleasant view.

The drug cartels got creamed in the last 2008 melt down when Lehman collapsed. Even the Russia Mob got buried in Cypress. I expect the Cartels now would rather get involved in every industry and hold something tangible.

In the end they will all get there clocked cleaned again when Interest rates SPIKE. The party will be finished. I expect we might have a 5 year window before everybody gets wiped out even the U.S Govt will be selling everything off to liquidate.

It's impossible to get around that area without a car. It may look nice, but it has nothing on Boston's denser areas.

Yup. Enjoy the party while it lasts, Miami!

I dont think I have seen a single building in Miami i wouldn't complain about if it was in boston.

Check out the Espirito Santo Plaza and the Dade County Courthouse.

And anyway, I'm sorry for veering the conversation off topic this much. I was just trying to highlight the ongoing pace of rapid development in Miami compared to Boston... not the quality of the architecture. I think all of us on this forum agree the dense, walkable environment of Boston is far superior urbanism than the car pedestal, out-of-scale density there. It's apples and oranges.

Espirto Santo is a fantastic building that I would take in my back yard in a minute.

cca

wait am i the only one who thinks Miami's skyline is hideous. I dont think I have seen a single building in Miami i wouldn't complain about if it was in boston. they are stuck in this 70's-ish style, and the 70's architecture sucked.

Former Miami Native here, I'm also the founder of TransitMiami.com, I'll take a stab here.

It's probably because Arquitectonica has basically designed every building in the city. Related Group uses them almost exclusively. Aside from Atlantis , I've seen few buildings designed by them that I actually like. The South American-design that others pointed to is very true. All these buildings are designed to keep their occupants high above and away from the streets. I would like to note however, that we do have some more notable architecture arriving on scene: Zaha Hadid's One Thousand Museum Park, Herzog & de mueron's recently completed Perez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) (Yes Jorge Perez of the Related Group, welcome to Miami), Frank Gehry's New World Center, and Bjarke Ingel's Grove at Grand Bay. It's sad for me to admit it (since I'm a ped/bike/transit advocate) but one of my favorite buildings on Miami Beach is 1111 Lincoln: a mixed-use parking garage designed by Herzog & de mueron.

Walking in Miami? Outside of Miami Beach You're taking your life in your own hands. TransitMiami is constantly battling FDOT for every inch of pavement. Bike lanes. Sidewalks. Crosswalks. Everything is a battle down there for us.

If you think Boston's experiencing an "Era of the Crane", you need to see what's been going on in Miami, FL.

The 1st photo was taken in 2007. The 2nd photo was taken 1 week ago at the end of 2013.

The cranes are never ending down there.

DSH -- that is not the purpose of this thread -- This is not -- is Boston the crane capital of the world ....if one wants to see cranes and construction go to Singapore -- they essentially picked-up the old city and replaced it 3 times in the past 30 years -- each successive city was taller, denser and more grandiose

No .... My purpose in launching this thread was that in "Boston Terms" -- we are living in a time of unprecedented building activity ..... since at least the era of Gov't Center and the Pru ...

And even beyond the specific major structures transforming the skyline and the streetscape ... the prolonged and widespread building activity in the Seaport / Innovation District and its surroundings is fundamentally restructuring Boston

This era today may someday be considered unprecedented since the era of the rebuilding of downtown after the Great Fire or even the filling of the Back Bay

That's the reason for the Thread -- The "On-going Era of the Crane" in Boston / Cambridge and slightly beyond

BUMP!

What's going on with this? Can any informed forum members please scan the spreadsheet and update as necessary?

Thanks.

Today's Globe: Boom in Boston luxury apartments tests market

...The competition for luxury renters will probably become even tougher over the next few years. About 1,250 units are expected to hit the market this year, followed by more than 3,100 others next year and another 3,660 in 2016. Together, the supply in those three years will more than double the number of units built in large buildings since 1960....

Curbed has been beating the glut drum non-stop for a while now too. This may be a question for the realtors here but how many of these buildings have the finishes and amenities to go condo, and/or how many developers stand to take a bath for a year or two as they struggle to find tenants?

And color me *shocked* that not everyone wants to pay $3200 for a one bedroom. For nearly $40k a year you may as well buy.

Back