Running Summary of Major Projects

whighlander

Reaction score
Given the shear magnitude of development activity -- Close to an unprecedented level both in terms of the number of projects and separately the number of major projects -- We need a summary

Some of the relatively significant projects have slipped onto the lower part of the 2nd page of the Development Forum

I suggest a list of the 25 most significant development projects in Boston / Cambridge with status updated weekly, or if a major event such as installation of a crane occurs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...QU1KemVjNHJkZnY4Qkc5VXJQNHc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Last edited:
IIRC, UrbEx was keeping a map.

Data -- what I had in mind was more like a spread sheet with a list of the major projects defined by one or more of the following:

15+ stories,
250,000 sq. ft.,
$100M,
major institution connection

then a current status:

test boring
excavation
foundation
crane
core /steel
walls
finish work

and [when last updated]:

We have such knowledgable members here, each with different interests and data in different areas (some know heights, some know uses, some can ID the phase of construction) and in different neighborhoods (some know Allston projects well, some Fenway, some Downtown, etc), yet no effort is made to tap into that. It's incredibly frustrating because instead of answering the same question over and over again, we could have resources that members could reference instead, accomplished by crowd-sourcing data.

Last edited:
I have been daydreaming about something like this. For instance, I would like to be able to see all projects in Boston that are currently U/C, out of the ground but not yet topped out (most interesting stage of construction in my view!).

At some point I might throw all the info I can find into an Excel spreadsheet but no promises!

I have been daydreaming about something like this. For instance, I would like to be able to see all projects in Boston that are currently U/C, out of the ground but not yet topped out (most interesting stage of construction in my view!).

At some point I might throw all the info I can find into an Excel spreadsheet but no promises!

PLease start plugging stuff into this Thread -- I'm going to start to summarize projects which I've seen recently or have at least looked at vicariously though the [sophisticated pun coming]:
good offices of some well placed observers who are posting pictures [and should be further encouraged to do so]

The list begins right here other than the Millennium Tower no particular order]:

# Popular Name; [Proper Name]; St. Address; $M(s); ht(ft); Status; Extra Notes#

1) Millennium Tower; [proper name]; Address; $ 800 M?; 625'; Foundation & Excavation

2) Pier 4; 136-146 Northern Avenue;

3) Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle; 1325 Boylston Street;

4) Jacob Wirth's; AvalonBay Tower ; 45 Stuart Street;

5) Novartis Campus; 181-211 Mass Ave

6) Dainty Dot; Radian; 120 Kingston Street

7) YMCA; GrandMarc Residence Hall; 291 St. Botolph Street

8) Boston Herald; Ink Block;

9) Vertex Headquarters @ Fan Pier; 11 Fan Pier Blvd

10) Mega-Lab in East Cambridge; 75-125 Binney St.

11) Fenway McDonald's; The Viridian;1282 Boylston Street

12) Avalon Exeter; 77 Exeter Street

13) 315 on A; 315 A Street

14) Waterside Place; 505 Congress Street

15) One Channel Center

16) BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC 160 MASSACHUSETTS AVENUE

17) The Victor, 110 Beverly Street

18) Ferdinand Building

19) New Balance; New Brighton Landing

20) Joslin Place; Longwood Center; 360 Longwood Ave

21) Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels; Seaport Square Parcel L1

22) Brigham Building for the Future

23) Lovejoy Wharf - Hoffman Building; 160 North Washington Street

24) NorthPoint Cambridge

25) Broad Institute Expansion; 75 Ames Street

That's the V1.0 -- open to suggestions, improvements, etc.

NOTES: for special events; first shovel; pilings; crane; steel / core cresting ground; topping out; ' etc.

General Notes:
Project is removed from this list when major tenant begins to move in or official Press Release is issued
Project is added to this list once tangible evidence of progress is noted -- not just BRA approval -- permits; fences; testing; etc.

Last edited:
looks to me like datadyne007 just signed up for a lot of work...

looks to me like datadyne007 just signed up for a lot of work...

Ron, you are welcome to pitch in as well

The only restriction -- no comments other than brief status related -- e.g. as per the Filene's hole -- "finally there is some activity" [circa September 2013]

Maybe we should just get a Google Docs spreadsheet going for this.

why limit it to 25? there are more major projects than that. also add avalon exeter and 22 liberty @ fan pier

Depends on the definition of Major -- let's start with 25 if we find that there are more that meet the criteria we can always expand

I was considering the new Hall for the BSC because of the major institution category -- not sure if it fits as the building itself is about $20M?

...and brighton landing, various seaport sq. construction, lovejoy, dudley sq, 0 Greenway, Twenty/20, East Boston stuff. All that is also both major and under construction.

waterside place. do approved projects count as well? I believe they should if they will be built. if so congress street garage, garden towers, csc tower, 40 trinity, copley place, and nashua residences for starters.

Coleslaw -- no BRA approval is not sufficient

In Boston we don't count the chickens before the hens are bought and sitting in the coop -- let alone count the eggs -- and never count the next gen of chickens until all the preceding has happened --- there are too too too many to count projects which went everywhere through all kinds of process -- except that they never made it up out of the ground -- e.g. most recently the Filenes's Hole for several years

We have approvals for things such as South Station Tower -- ????

jackson square, not sure if any individual building counts but as a whole it is definitely major. Berkley's new dorm as well. hojo in fenway, one canal, longwood center, channal center, the victor, flats on D. parcels 12-15 count for approved. recently finished should count as well i think so millennium place and liberty mutual headquarters.

Coleslaw -- I think this should be a list where construction still going on

Recently Finished such as the Liberty Mutual -- should be included only as long as no-one is actually settled into the building -- otherwise how do you decide what is recently finished

i'd list it even if it is fit out for the principle tenant where the typical person entering the building is a finish carpenter, or an interior painter -- but if the building is really finished then I think we are talking another list.

Given the shear magnitude of development activity -- Close to an unprecedented level both in terms of the number of projects and separately the number of major projects -- We need a summary

Some of the relatively significant projects have slipped onto the lower part of the 2nd page of the Development Forum

I suggest a list of the 25 most significant development projects in Boston / Cambridge with status updated weekly, or if a major event such as installation of a crane occurs

Ummm... is this what you're looking for?

Dsh -- that's sort of the idea -- except the BRA site makes no distinction between 4 condosbeing retrofitted in an old hardware store and the Millennium Tower

NOTE the V1.0 List has been filled as far as some name is concerned - - the rest is open for any additions, corrections, etc.

And further note that upon review of relevant postings that there are about 3 of the listed projects just about to graduate so we will need to find about 3 replacements in the next month or so

NOTE the V1.0 List has been filled as far as some name is concerned - - the rest is open for any additions, corrections, etc.

And further note that upon review of relevant postings that there are about 3 of the listed projects just about to graduate so we will need to find about 3 replacements in the next month or so

I don't know why you are so obsessed with the number 25. Any project in the development projects forum that is currently U/C should be listed.

Back