Running Summary of Major Projects

from the same article...

"Hynes, the Boston Global Investors executive, said the flurry of activity will not undermine his plans to start construction this June on another 850-unit complex of apartments in the South Boston Innovation District. If anything, he said, the development of residential buildings such as 315 on A and a tower rising at Pier 4 will only strengthen the area’s appeal"

It is not given that the units won't be rented, no none knows but the early entrants are doing OK

"At the Kensington... incentives include two month’s free rent on a 24-month lease and reduced broker fees...About 61 percent of the building’s units have been leased to date"

With the population of Boston growing, and the availability of apartments very low, I bet that the developers may not get the rents being asked immediately but they will make enough money from the rents they do get to hold out and rent all of their units at relatively high rents within a couple of years.

I wonder if it will drive down rents in existing/older buildings. I doubt it because

Can anyone help me with my cheat sheet? Here are a list of 600+ foot tall buildings proposed or under construction in Boston right now. Have I missed any?

Harbor Garage, 600 feet
Christian Science Center / Four Seasons, 691 feet
Millennium Tower, 625 feet
The Boston Garden at North Station, 600 feet
South Station Tower, 621 feet
Copley Place (Simon Residences), 625 feet

Buildings over 600-feet tall include:

John Hancock 790-square feet
Prudential Tower 750-square feet
Federal Reserve 614-square feet
One Boston Place 601-square feet
International Place 600-square feet

LOL. User error. I wrote it up wrong. I have residential condos on my mind.

You can update CSC to 699 feet (plus mech pent).

One Financial is technically 590 feet, but usually appears taller than the Fed so I wonder sometimes how accurate these heights are. With spire it is 683. The Pru with spire is 907.

In addition, the South Station Tower, if ever built, will be 676 to the top of its mechanical penthouse. As noted, CSC is 699, plus mechanical penthouse, which will push it well over 700 feet. Some of the others undoubtedly have additional height with mechanical penthouses included. The Copley Place height listed of 625 feet already includes the mechanical penthouse.

Did Government Center Garage get knocked to under 600' in the latest revision?

Did Government Center Garage get knocked to under 600' in the latest revision?

Yes. It's in the mid-high 500's now I believe.

Harbor Garage, 600 feet
Christian Science Center / Four Seasons, 691 feet
Millennium Tower, 625 feet
The Boston Garden at North Station, 600 feet
South Station Tower, 621 feet
Copley Place (Simon Residences), 625 feet

If I was gambling I'd only bet on CSC, Millenium Tower and Copley getting built within the next 5 - 10 years.

I'd bet on Harbor Garage, CSC, Millennium, Boston Garden, and Copley.

I got the heights off Emporis.com. You'd think they'd be consistent in heights - either include the mechanicals or don't.

I'd bet on Harbor Garage, CSC, Millennium, Boston Garden, and Copley.

I got the heights off Emporis.com. You'd think they'd be consistent in heights - either include the mechanicals or don't.

They can only be as consistent as the developers are. If the developer doesn't publish the roof height, it can only be guessed at...

I'm a little more optimistic regarding the Harbor Garage, at least in the 5-10 year timeframe. SST is never happening. The only way anything is built over the tracks there is if MassDOT does some sort of PPP with a developer in exchange for the new train shed, and I don't see developers jumping at the chance to build on stilts over an active rail hub when they can build much more cheaply in the Seaport or Back Bay.

If I was gambling I'd only bet on CSC, Millenium Tower and Copley getting built within the next 5 - 10 years.

I assume you mean completion, but I would imagine that Copley would be the last completed. Even then, I would give that a max of 5 years to completion from now, unless something seriously wrong happens this year.

These are my 3 personal favorites going on in the city right now, and I am grateful that they are either UC or approved/near-groundbreaking. Everything else is bonus, although I wouldn't be surprised if the Harbor Garage was demolished by early 2016.

What about North Station? I thought residential tower was supposed to be 600'

http://boston.curbed.com/archives/2014/08/mapping-bostons-tallest-new-residential-developments.php#more

Boston is perhaps alone amongst America's grandest cities in its sizable reticence toward height (D.C. doesn't count because of that business with the Washington Monument). Witness the continuing kerfuffle over the Boston Harbor Garage redevelopment plans. A waterfront tower of 600 feet? "Madness!," some cry. Yet, here and there, at a pace not seen in perhaps a generation, taller sprouts are popping up around the city. Some are under construction; some are through the looking glass and readying their cranes. Herewith: All of Boston's new residential developments slated to be higher than 300 feet.

Almost 3,000 units are being added to the city by those 7 projects alone. There will be an influx of some pretty rich people moving into Boston within the next decade

By strange coincidence, the list of tallest projects seems to track the Orange Line almost perfectly through Back Bay and Downtown, give or take a couple blocks.

Strange that they don't have Nashua St residences on this list - it's underway and it's going to be over 300 ft.

Back