Running Summary of Major Projects

I don't know why you are so obsessed with the number 25. Any project in the development projects forum that is currently U/C should be listed.

Data -- not obsessed -- I just want to keep the list centered on major projects which someone would say include in a tour of current major projects for your brother-in-law

I don't see the value of the 2 unit infill in JP or Southy to someone interested in the Big Projects

However, if the list was ordered by height or $ or sq. ft. -- then the little "quite kute" infill next to the gas station -- could be listed -- it just would be down at entry #79

Dsh -- that's sort of the idea -- except the BRA site makes no distinction between 4 condosbeing retrofitted in an old hardware store and the Millennium Tower

The BRA only reviews and lists development projects that are of a significant size, like 40,000 sq. ft. or 50,000 sq. ft. and larger, or renovations of buildings more than 100,000 sq. ft. You're not going to see a JP 2-unit infill listed there.

The BRA list has 50+ projects under construction. If one were to add Cambridge, that's probably a list of 65 or so.

Curbed has this list that is ultimately a running summary of major projects (albeit the residential ones).

I have filled in the list of names and some data. I've seen some people poking around and filling things in too (thanks!). I'll try to fill in more tomorrow during my lunch break and such.

My goal is just to get all the prelim data in this matrix and then hopefully set up a Wiki-style table where you could sort categories (by name, height, etc). At this point, the raw data is the most important though. Feel free to contribute if you'd like. Thank you!

Reminder of the link: ArchBoston Master Project List

*Note use codes have changed.

I have filled in the list of names and some data. I've seen some people poking around and filling things in too (thanks!). I'll try to fill in more tomorrow during my lunch break and such.

My goal is just to get all the prelim data in this matrix and then hopefully set up a Wiki-style table where you could sort categories (by name, height, etc). At this point, the raw data is the most important though. Feel free to contribute if you'd like. Thank you!

Reminder of the link: ArchBoston Master Project List

*Note use codes have changed.

Data -- Great Job -- if the real projects had response to RFP's that fast - the planet would be spinning in double time

Hey Data,

Quick suggestion: instead of having 3 construction-related tabs, maybe just have two columns. One can say "Project Status", and the other could say "Est. Date of Completion". Project status comments could include Proposed, Approved, Dead, U/C, Completed, etc.

Good work! :)

-D

Great idea Whi - great job data...much appreciated.
Is there any way to link directly from the list to the relevant conversation/thread here at archBoston?

Great idea Whi - great job data...much appreciated.
Is there any way to link directly from the list to the relevant conversation/thread here at archBoston?

I just looked it up, started directly linking a couple of them.

thanks dshoost, using the same formula as you (tried it on New Balance thread) but the hyperlink isn't taking for me. If I can get it to work I'll update wherever I can.

So not to ask too much, but I was actually just thinking about how great this would be (right before I saw this thread), but a live count of residential units coming on board with all these new buildings. An additional column would be fantastic.

Not sure of the capabilities of google docs spreadsheets, but I'm assuming similar to excel. Can we get running totals at the bottom for things such as (mostly) res. units, sq. ft., etc.?

So not to ask too much, but I was actually just thinking about how great this would be (right before I saw this thread), but a live count of residential units coming on board with all these new buildings. An additional column would be fantastic.

Not sure of the capabilities of google docs spreadsheets, but I'm assuming similar to excel. Can we get running totals at the bottom for things such as (mostly) res. units, sq. ft., etc.?
Yes. I was thinking the same thing last night. I was thinking about removing use codes A & C and instead just putting the unit counts in the table. The data is available from articles, will modify at lunch.

Last edited:
It would be great to have a column next to height in stories called "estimated height, feet" or "estimated height to roof/spire" or "estimated height to highest habitable floor"

Awesome job on this! As long as this stays updated it will be a fantastic resource. Probably worth a sticky thread on the AB main forum page with the link.

Updates, updates, updates...

I added apartment and condo unit columns and set up formulas. We need unit counts for all the YELLOW boxes. If you fill in a unit count, please change the cell fill color back to white. I think for now I'm leaning toward just keeping the use codes for A and C because it helps as a quick reference to see the overall picture of the building's program.

Height has also been split from floors. Height shall be highest occupied floor.

I plugged in some more data to the master list. I think it's great that you want to differentiate how many housing units are coming online; however, a lot of the major developments are hesitant to announce whether their projects will be condos or apartments this early in their development process because they want their projects to respond to market conditions.

Updates, updates, updates...

Height has also been split from floors. Height shall be highest occupied floor.

Why not use the CTBUH Height Criteria so we can make a reasonable comparison with the rest of the world?

...These and other questions are answered in the CTBUH Height Criteria, the official rules whereby tall buildings are defined and heights are measured...

http://www.ctbuh.org/HighRiseInfo/TallestDatabase/Criteria/tabid/446/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Why not use the CTBUH Height Criteria so we can make a reasonable comparison with the rest of the world?

...These and other questions are answered in the CTBUH Height Criteria, the official rules whereby tall buildings are defined and heights are measured...

http://www.ctbuh.org/HighRiseInfo/TallestDatabase/Criteria/tabid/446/language/en-US/Default.aspx

That was something I was considering. 3 height categories could be seen as overkill though and we don't know specific details regarding MEP penthouses and spires for many projects. What we do know are BRA approved/zoned heights. I might just add in the columns and see if we can fill them in. I wanted to keep the table without as much speculation as we possibly could. A lot of speculating goes on here and numbers get thrown all over the place. I wanted the table to have verifiable numbers. If you can provide cited numbers for heights then I'll add the columns in.

Anyway, I was watching the table update periodically today and you guys were killing it with filling in stuff. Nice work! =)

That was something I was considering. 3 height categories could be seen as overkill though and we don't know specific details regarding MEP penthouses and spires for many projects. What we do know are BRA approved/zoned heights. I might just add in the columns and see if we can fill them in. I wanted to keep the table without as much speculation as we possibly could. A lot of speculating goes on here and numbers get thrown all over the place. I wanted the table to have verifiable numbers. If you can provide cited numbers for heights then I'll add the columns in.

Anyway, I was watching the table update periodically today and you guys were killing it with filling in stuff. Nice work! =)

Data and All -- Great Work -- I wish that every time that I suggest something whether here or where I'm paid for my suggestions and such that something would eventuate within 24 hours -- Amazing & Fabulous

as RR's famous desk sign said,
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit"
-- possibly attributed to Jack Warner and others

Awesome job on this! Probably worth a sticky thread on the AB main forum page with the link.

Moderators any possibility we could get something like this to happen???

Back