Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

I like it. It's definitely an improvement over the original proposal.

yotelimage-1.jpg

We should start a new thread for this.

I am not sure I like it but it is definitely an improvement over the original.
Are they going to rebuild T head house into into this or just build over it?

I stayed in the Yotel in Hell's Kitchen last week. I like the concept a lot, though the damn luggage robot wouldn't give me my bag back. It was only $180 a night, including lodging tax, which seemed like a great deal for the location. Only drawback is you would not want to share a room with someone that you're not very good friends with.

I think I'm 50% of the way to liking it, but it definitely feels less low-end hi-rise motel from somewhere near Daytona Beach than the original.

I've passed that Yotel a million times and each time I go back to visit New York, I forget to give it a try. How did you end up negotiating with your robot for your luggage?

To get my bag, I had to have maintenance come key in some admin codes. The robot is really cool looking, but it seemed people frequently had issues with it. I think simple lockers would have been more efficient, and probably a few hundred thousand dollars cheaper.

Normally things like this don't piss me off but have you see the Brooklyn Yotel they'll be getting. John Hynes is an asshat.

rend2.jpg

Normally things like this don't piss me off but have you see the Brooklyn Yotel they'll be getting. John Hynes is an asshat.

rend2.jpg

That is just awful.

I actually don't mind the new render of the Yotel at all. I think the design is quite solid. I like that they've broken up the facade so it's not monotonous anymore and refined the window placement on the edges. The massing forms a nice streetwall.

I actually don't mind the new render of the Yotel at all. I think the design is quite solid. I like that they've broken up the facade so it's not monotonous anymore and refined the window placement on the edges. The massing forms a nice streetwall.

Ditto all of this. Big improvement.

That is just awful.

+1.

I have no idea why Bubbybu prefers the Brooklyn one.

I tried looking at that a few different times, and there are simply no words for how bad that render looks.

It's the Homer(Simpson)-Mobile.

I think I get bubbybu's sentiment, chiefly that it would be nice to have some envelope-pushing architecture, if not specifically something as...uhhh... Honestly, I'm torn about this. I'm definitely the more junior/lay person on here, but I actually like the texture of the facade and I like the height variation of the building. It's like some sort of avant garde box of french fries designed for the skyline backdrop of a Lady Gaga music video - is this what turns off you guys who seem to be more in the trade?

Also, was down at the Seaport for a meeting at District Hall and noticed signage is wrapped on the fence for Parcel L2, now billing it as 121 Seaport Boulevard. I've been falling behind on my RSS feeds, so I missed this article from Curbed announcing a 9 July groundbreaking and some interesting renders:

ea2.JPG

sea3.jpg

sea1.jpg

So I guess if the Yotel slated for Parcel J is prototypical contemporary Boston architecture, Parcel L2 is 'pushing the envelope' for the waterfront?...

Exactly, DigitalSciGuy.
I feel like the Sushi in Brooklyn isn't classic, but at least it's ambitious. The developer is at least trying. John Hynes just wants the permits and go ahead from city hall so he can milk a roof, four bland walls and a nice location.

It's not a hideous design at all, but the contrast in ambition between the two says it all to me.

Re: the headhouse. Was this the headhouse where Hynes has to wait to be designated developer of it or is that the one across the street where parcels B/C are going up? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Re: the headhouse. Was this the headhouse where Hynes has to wait to be designated developer of it or is that the one across the street where parcels B/C are going up? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm fairly certain it is the larger headhouse between Parcels J and K.

Two bits of news: First, the Envoy's rooftop bar is OPEN for business, at least judging by all the people gathered there this afternoon. Second, the first streetscape improvements have opened down by Parcel F. We're looking at a double-row of trees, though only one row has been planted:
19562869525_02087e2505_c.jpg

What an awesome mix of retro and contemporary elements jammed into a simple box.

Love three sides of this thing but the back is... bad. Going to be real awkward once the rest of the Seaport Square is built out.

Love three sides of this thing but the back is... bad. Going to be real awkward once the rest of the Seaport Square is built out.

I actually really like the back. It won't be very visible (I think) once Seaport Square is built out.

Back