Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

I wonder how American's go to be so obese.

I know for me, 15 minutes saved means 15 more minutes at the gym. But yes I prefer a shorter walking commute, only because I wouldn't need to leave my house 15 minutes earlier to catch the bus or train. I don't mind the walking itself and I'm pretty sure a lot of people don't when they can do it in their spare time as oppose to because it's their only option.

Oh you know the answers. Doesn't change that you're not going to build a successful new neighborhood by forcing people to walk 15 minutes, or to drive their cars and lock the place up.

I walk from SS to my office everyday regardless of the weather. But, that's a 5 minute walk, I'm youngish and inshape(ish), and there's no reasonable alternative.

I will bypass the red line and walk to park street to get to school.

That being said, the 1000's of workers expected may not see things the same way as you and I. I'm pretty sure the elderly and disabled I mentioned earlier are already on board with my previous sentiments.

You're right Seamus. I'm not criticizing you, more the state of the nation. It's kind of depressing. We all want liveable, walkable cities. But for a lot of the nation a neighborhood is only walkable if there are subway stations every 5 minutes. That's not gonna happen (at least not with separated grade transit).

I have no clue what you're talking about regarding Kenmore. In terms of linking the SL tunnel into the Green Line I'm still proposing this, which I think yields the most obvious bang for buck.

Shep -- what I was saying was that if you make an underground all electric Silver LIne from South Station to a new underground Silver Line Way station then:

1) All of the other Silver Lines can branch out from the existing surface Silver Line Way station
2) the surface Silver Line vehicles can be stuck in traffic or not -- there is no impact on the underground loop which forms the core of the transportation to the SPID.

The reference to the Green Line is that this loop model could be used at Kenmore to isolate street running trolleys from core. All of the Green Line underground trains except for D currently passing through Kenmore would instead terminate at Kenmore and then then loop back to Leachmere and evenutally to Union Sq and psooibly Tufts U. with the entire loop in a protected ROW.

In this model to continue an existing surface commute on the B or C you would arrive at Kendall Under -- and walk up the stairs to the existing Kenmore platform. Like the current Silver Line beyond WTC -- Those B, C trains could be stuck in local traffic and yet with an isolated inner loop there would be no impact on the functioning of the core Green Line.

I have now taken to getting on the Green or Orange Line to transfer to the Blue and then getting on the shuttle from the Airport station rather than just going to SS and waiting on the SilverLine. It is much quicker and that's a real shame.

Tomb -- I think you have a bad sample of Silver Line

Since the 1980's I had used the Red Line to Green or Orange and then Blue to Bus to get to/from Logan -- a 1:00 under the absolute best of circumstances and possibly close to 2 hours at off-peak times

Since the advent of the Silver Line, I only taken the old route once and that includes the period when the Ted Williams had its problems with the ceilings -- I've never had a trip which has taken more than one hour Alewife parking or kiss&ride to Logan Terminal.

A couple of times when coming back late in the evening, I've had to wait for the Silver Line at the Terminal and then the Red Line at South Station and so the return has taken close to 1 hour 30 min.

You can have the Blue Line link -- I'll take the 3 seats from Alewife to FRA anytime

The reference to the Green Line is that this loop model could be used at Kenmore to isolate street running trolleys from core. All of the Green Line underground trains except for D currently passing through Kenmore would instead terminate at Kenmore and then then loop back to Leachmere and evenutally to Union Sq and psooibly Tufts U. with the entire loop in a protected ROW.

In this model to continue an existing surface commute on the B or C you would arrive at Kendall Under -- and walk up the stairs to the existing Kenmore platform. Like the current Silver Line beyond WTC -- Those B, C trains could be stuck in local traffic and yet with an isolated inner loop there would be no impact on the functioning of the core Green Line.

A bad solution to a problem that doesn't exist. GL is rarely if ever backed up underground because of street traffic on the surface lines. It backs up from inadequate signaling in the central subway which limits capacity. The mainline used to support several more branches than it does now. I think you should just gracefully drop this one, it makes no sense. (I vaguely get the SL application of the idea but even that's murky.)

You're right Seamus. I'm not criticizing you, more the state of the nation. It's kind of depressing. We all want liveable, walkable cities. But for a lot of the nation a neighborhood is only walkable if there are subway stations every 5 minutes. That's not gonna happen (at least not with separated grade transit).

AMF -- you are making some good points -- and its not just the US

My experience around the world has been that in most cities heavy or non-street-running light rail is dominantly for commuting to work, or special occasion travel to the museum or the airport. I've yet to see anyplace where many people walk 4 blocks to the local T Station and then use it to go 5 to 10 blocks to the supermarket, drug store, or even the hardware store. They either shop locally or walk.

However, buses and Trollies in the street are used in that fashion overseas in Europe and Asia. Even on Mass. Ave., in the North Cambridge - Arlington corridor, you see people get on / off the #77 at Stop and Shop with groceries.

^ Agreed that underground heavy rail is often not as useful for that kind of thing, whereas linear street-running light rail lines such as the B, C and E here, and much of Muni in SF, is often used for such trips.

^ Agreed that underground heavy rail is often not as useful for that kind of thing, whereas linear street-running light rail lines such as the B, C and E here, and much of Muni in SF, is often used for such trips.

Shep -- exactly, as well as throughout Europe -- that is why the system as a whole should isolate the street-running from the subway (Red, Blue, Orange, Green Core)

Ashmont and the interface between buses, trolleys and Red Line should be a model that is followed throughout the T system -- first with the Silver Line at Silver Line Way and possibly the Court House Stations and eventually
1) with a new trolley running throughout the Navy Yard in Charlestown
2) and existing B and C street running trolleys at Kenmore

From the commuters standpoint, this would not appear to be ideal in the least. As minimal transfers as possible. You yourself indicated you liked your 3 seat commute as opposed to a 5 seat commute.

Once, I'm on the green line I do not wan t to transfer to get onto the...... green line.

Park Street works just fine for me. I know which train to get and it will take me all the way to where I want to go.

From the commuters standpoint, this would not appear to be ideal in the least. As minimal transfers as possible. You yourself indicated you liked your 3 seat commute as opposed to a 5 seat commute.

Once, I'm on the green line I do not wan t to transfer to get onto the...... green line.

Park Street works just fine for me. I know which train to get and it will take me all the way to where I want to go.

Seamus -- but think of the possibilities to help the T's budget:

T sells underground development rights -- "pluionic rights" -- Developer then builds immense underground shopping district under Kenmore Sq. where the Green Line Charlie Card allows free in/out from the station to the shopping. The district features a wide trange of Brew-pubs, Tappas bars, Cafeine-free latte cafes, and other places where the harried, downtown traveler can transition gradually from the hustle of the Green Line Under to the calm of the streeet running Green Line carying you to your walk-up flat anywhere throughout the whole Watertown, Brigton, Alston, Newton area

I wonder how Americans got to be so obese.

I think the greater reason for obesity among Americans is our food. Not only do people eat horribly, but American food is so loaded with chemicals that we're already at disadvantage. I knew a bunch of au pairs back home before moving, and every single girl I met gained like 5-10 pounds within a month of moving to the US. Conversely, I lost 10-15 pounds within a month of moving to Brasil. I didn't work out more, or eat any less (in fact I think I may have eaten more, since I think Brasilian food is so good).

But yea, I agree the lack of physical activity in the US plays a big part too.

Actually, obesity in Americans can be traced almost exclusively to one type of thing: soda and other sugary drinks. The fat content we take in hasn't changed in 30 years! If you want to drop a few pounds, absolutely the first thing to go should be soda (diet too!). Stick to water!!! Happy to help y'all!

Okay Mayor Bloomberg, what have you done with DZH22?

I think the greater reason for obesity among Americans is our food. Not only do people eat horribly, but American food is so loaded with chemicals that we're already at disadvantage. I knew a bunch of au pairs back home before moving, and every single girl I met gained like 5-10 pounds within a month of moving to the US. Conversely, I lost 10-15 pounds within a month of moving to Brasil. I didn't work out more, or eat any less (in fact I think I may have eaten more, since I think Brasilian food is so good).

But yea, I agree the lack of physical activity in the US plays a big part too.

Tmac -- access to an abundance of food availabe in the US does play a role -- mostly positive

Obesity mostly comes from our increasingly sedentary lives -- we are still eating as if we were physically active -- but mostly we are not -- but there are some benefits as well -- we also seem to be living longer and longer

However -- You are right about the effect of the American diet on immigrants -- a detailed study of Japanese Americans and their family members remaining in Japan showed that the 2nd generation of those who immigrated to the US were taller and substantially heavier than their relatives in Japan. They also seemed to have traded the Japanese propensity for Stomach Cancer for the US propensity for Heart Disease

Personally, I think our obesity problem can primarily be traced to portion size. Most Americans expect absurdly large portion sizes (think Cheesecake Factory where each entree could be considered 2-3 entrees in other parts of the world). For some reason Americans have come to demand these insanely large portion sizes especially when they dine out. Often times people keep eating well beyond what they should be eating simply because it is there on their plate and they are paying for it. Many people don't have the will power to stop eating and take the rest home for another meal. And if you dare serve these people what should be a standard size portion, they will complain about the restaurant not being a good value.

Portion sizes and lack of exercise are obvious factors, but many other things are in play..

Stress is a huge factor that doesn't get much attention. When stressed, your body goes into storage mode instead of using food as fuel and energy.

Corn subsidies are also a huge component of the problem - it's cheap to make food out of shitty corn related products (high-fructose corn syrup, etc) and it's expensive to use quality ingredients. This creates a domino effect.. school lunches, snacks for kids, fast food and other cheap food options = shitty, government subsidized ingredients.

Scott Kirsner‏@ScottKirsner

Hearing that 2 other Cambridge co's, Ironwood Pharma & Zipcar, are considering new digs in the Innovation District. (Both are public co's.)

Zipcar doesn't seem very surprising. They are over by lechmere in a rehabbed building with a bunch of other companies. Larger kendall spaces seem much more lab oriented. Hopefully they are going for more space and hiring more.

Back