Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

The Globe is hosting the Seaport Square .pdf on it's site:

Seaport Square (.pdf)

Or as I like to call it: Atlanta by the Channel.

Better than a parking lot...

...but not by much.

Something I don't see in the PDF: how will they integrate this development with the Courthouse T station? It has a huge lobby that is intended to be connected to as-yet-unbuilt eastern entrances.

Statler,

My mistake, for some reason I thought the harborwalk did not go between Joe's American Bar and Grill and the water. Is that part of the boardwalk relatively new construction?

The width of the Harborwalk adjacent to Joe's is appears narrow enough that those enjoying an outdoor seat will still feel like they are on the water. Hopefully, some areas of the SBW will be designed with the human scale of this area, Rowes Wharf etc.

"What kind of fuckery is this?" -Amy Winehouse

Screw the Barking Crab. What do you mean they want to tear down the chapel? Why don't we just rip down the Fish Pier and build a friggin' Starbucks?

I like it better than fan pier, but that certainly isn't saying much! Anyone capable of producing a color rendering of both projects filled together?

That's the same set of images that was posted a few pages back. I don't think that's what Hynes revealed tonight since tonight's meeting is supposed to be an exclusive "first-look."

I don't think those renderings are indicative of an actual design, but more a rough early concept.

Did anyone make it to the meeting tonight? I was looking forward to going, but I wasn't able to make it.

Seaport: One-stop living
Hynes? plan mixes work, home, school
By Scott Van Voorhis
Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Seaport Square developer John Hynes is offering companies a sweet package deal: rent office space in his development and get housing for your employees and even seats in a private school for their children.

Hynes yesterday pulled the wraps off his 20-block Seaport Square project, which would take shape on a tract of windswept parking lots just across the street from Fan Pier on South Boston?s waterfront.

The veteran tower developer kicked off a series of meetings with South Boston residents and groups to win crucial neighborhood support for his project.

But Hynes is also preparing to sell his $3 billion project to a global audience, one made up of corporate executives weighing the merits of different cities for their next expansion.

And the Hub developer believes, by offering housing and a school along with corporate suites, that he has the formula to bring some of these companies, and their high-paying jobs, to Boston.

?You can?t get that anywhere in the world,? Hynes said. ?It obviously promotes our project and second, it helps promote Boston as forward-thinking and open for business.?

Under Hynes? proposal, a company looking to rent office space in his project would likely have to pay the current market rate, about $70 a square foot. But for another $8 a square foot, Hynes said, for example, he could throw in 100 apartments. Add another $3 per square foot, and he will throw in tuition at his project?s showcase private school for the tenant?s employees? children.

The Hub developer says he can offer this ?one-stop shopping? because of the wide-ranging nature of his Seaport Square plan, which includes 2,500 residential units, 1.5 million square feet of office space and a 1,500-student private school run by a private company, Nations Academy. In a new twist, there would also be a public school, an ?early learning center? for preschool through grade one children.

Still, Hynes first has to win over his neighbors, including the owners of the Barking Crab, a waterfront eatery the developer has proposed relocating into his project.

?We are more steamed than one of our lobsters,? said Barking Crab spokesman George Regan.

Regan contends the eatery was not properly consulted before the developer went public - a claim Hynes vigorously denies.

Link

What is this? Sounds like they're planning on turning "Seaport Square" into an international corporate commune.

The sad thing is while this is a brilliant idea, someone will throw a wrench into it (be it the mayor, some NIMBY living nearby, or some federal agency) and we'll be stuck with something less ambitious on this tract of land.

I'm sure this will be dealt with during the construction of whatever end up going in here- but how did these double-wide streets get built without any bike lanes? This blows my mind.

I like it better than fan pier, but that certainly isn't saying much! Anyone capable of producing a color rendering of both projects filled together?
Today's Herald has an image of both Fan Pier and Seaport Square all built out, but it is so small and it didn't link to a larger image, its almost worthless to try and reproduce here.

SeaportSqgraphic.jpg

There are actually three new hotels shown, plus the untitled Madison Seaport hotel in the lower right. The mariner's chapel is upgraded to a church...

Is there a plan for a subway expansion/extension? I'm not talking about the Silver Line bus service either - unless it is converted like it should have been originally.

^^ Why would there be?

The area is clearly designed for cars, not pedestrians.

Back