Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

The only buisinesses that i can think of located in the Seaport other than resturants and hotels would be the world trade center, Donovan Hatem LLP and an engineering firm Jacobs?
[just by going on random deliveries there, Ive got no other reason to be in the seaport]

Yeah. LogMeIn is in Fort Point Channel ... but because the "districts" are (by design - by Menino) ill-defined, I guess it sort of kind of maybe qualifies?

There are three buildings that I know of in the Seaport District with office workers - Seaport Center / World Trade Center (I'm sitting in it now!), the Fan Pier development (is it full of anything but "start-up" companies as part of the Mass Challenge), and Manulife / John Hancock.

Am I missing any?

Okay, I realize I'm being surly about just about everything, so I apologize. I only have a short list of things that annoy me and people are hitting them all: Commercial activity on the Common, the Olympics in Boston, and the weaknesses of the Silver Line.

Changing the subject to something more positive, anyone happen to know anything about the rail that runs through the Seaport District? It appears to be parallel to the Haul Road and runs from the Marine Industrial Park all the way down to (I think) the MBTA Cabot Yard Commuter Rail Train Maintenance building near West 4th Street bridge.

Can we reposition that to go to South Station ... or put in a cable car / monorail??

Serious question except for the last part, anyone know?

I call you out on your "I go on 3 out of five interviews there."

What companies are, you know, actually located in the Seaport District?

Are you interviewing at restaurants and hotels by chance?

Just off the top off my head, I know that Vertex, Fidelity, Thomson Reuters and Manulife are there along with a whole slew of law firms (some big ones, like Nutter, McClennan and Fish) and PR firms.

I agree with those saying that there should be MUCH better transportation infrastructure for that area (there's no excuse whatsoever, that there isn't a hard rail subway going right through the area DIRECTLY to Logan terminal basements - I am still shocked at how airline passengers have to get onto a shuttle bus to get to the "Logan" Blue Line station. It's 2013, people, and we are in a global competition).

That being said, I can't understand anyone intimating there are not thousands and thousands of white collar jobs in that District.

Changing the subject to something more positive, anyone happen to know anything about the rail that runs through the Seaport District? It appears to be parallel to the Haul Road and runs from the Marine Industrial Park all the way down to (I think) the MBTA Cabot Yard Commuter Rail Train Maintenance building near West 4th Street bridge.

Can we reposition that to go to South Station ... or put in a cable car / monorail??

The rail was laid sometime during the late '90s / early '00s and from what I've been told, it's never been used. Ever.

I'm not sure there's any way to reposition it to reach SS.

It's just a plain weird ROW that cuts through tons of parking lots and even a pedestrian plaza further out past the Design Center. I don't think it'll ever be used.

The rail was laid sometime during the late '90s / early '00s and from what I've been told, it's never been used. Ever.

I'm not sure there's any way to reposition it to reach SS.

It's just a plain weird ROW that cuts through tons of parking lots and even a pedestrian plaza further out past the Design Center. I don't think it'll ever be used.

Why was it put down? Is it a broken promise from the CA/T project?

Just off the top off my head, I know that Vertex, Fidelity, Thomson Reuters and Manulife are there along with a whole slew of law firms (some big ones, like Nutter, McClennan and Fish) and PR firms.

I agree with those saying that there should be MUCH better transportation infrastructure for that area (there's no excuse whatsoever, that there isn't a hard rail subway going right through the area DIRECTLY to Logan terminal basements - I am still shocked at how airline passengers have to get onto a shuttle bus to get to the "Logan" Blue Line station. It's 2013, people, and we are in a global competition).

That being said, I can't understand anyone intimating there are not thousands and thousands of white collar jobs in that District.

There are an absurd amount of jobs and companies in the SBID, which by anyone's definition includes Fort Point. How many 1000s are coming in with PwC and State Street alone? I can understand that if you are standing in the middle of the Seaport Square blocks things feel a bit undeveloped at the moment, but that's not even close to the entire picture or the whole story.

I don't ride the silver line but some of my friends that work in the neighborhood think its great.

You can also add RDK Engineers and Vanderweil Engineers.

Not to mention, CEO Art Vandelay has recently been scouting SBID locations for a new headquarters for his Vandelay Industries.

Okay, I realize I'm being surly about just about everything, so I apologize. I only have a short list of things that annoy me and people are hitting them all: Commercial activity on the Common, the Olympics in Boston, and the weaknesses of the Silver Line.

Pretty sure it's a freight line to the port. F-Line probably has the whole bit of info.

I call you out on your "I go on 3 out of five interviews there."

What companies are, you know, actually located in the Seaport District?

Are you interviewing at restaurants and hotels by chance?

I guess I'm including the fort point in my definition, but there are jobs.

As for the rail line, it's the original end of the New Haven (or Old Colony, can't remember) railroad's main line, when there were four or so terminals scattered around the area for each railroad. After passenger operations were consolidated into South Union Station it was still a major freight line serving fan pier, the army base, Black Falcon, etc.

When they were building the big dig and convention center it was used along with a small yard next to the BCEC by the Boston Terminal Company to transload steel and other construction supplies. Their abandoned locomotive is still sitting alongside Cypher Street. The tracks are still intact past Drydock Ave, although unused. They spent a ton of money eliminating the grade crossing at D street but no business ever materialized. It would be far more useful if the tracks were still intact out to Conley.

For transit use its pretty useless. There is no easy way to connect it directly to south station, and even if you could you're going a mile south then a mile north to go a net distance of ~1/4 mi east. The majority of it is also within a half mile of an existing transit stop too. It's good for freight and that's about it.

Give me more info. That's from South Station to Airport or on all five lines of the Silver Line?

From the Bluebook 2010, it looks as though you're including SL1 and SL2 and the "Shuttle" in that total. I've never been able to find out what that shuttle is. Where does it go? Why is it offered? Why is it so much faster than the SL1 and SL2?

Why does the MBTA run a street-level shuttle when it has a Silver Line bus line on the same route?

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/documents/Bluebook 2010.pdf

I'd correct your number by saying 15,000 people aren't riding the Silver Line to the Seaport District. 7,500 people are going round trip to and from South Station.

Also, I'd subtract the "offs" who come in from the airport to the Seaport District - those aren't employees but people coming in from out of town. Likewise, I'd subtract the "ons" who get on the bus in the Seaport District and head to the airport. Those are business people on their way back out of town.

Where is the closest bus stop to this new PwC building at Seaport Square?

Essentially, youre making it clear you never go there...

1) The shuttle is a bus that runs in the tunnel from SS to SLW, all electric. Thats the bulk of ridership, and so it gets the highest headways. Its simply one extra bus running the electric loop.

2) The fact that the tunnel requires so much more service than SL1 alone or SL2 alone indicates theres a huge market.

3) Those numbers are from 2010. The opening of Jimmys Pier had a huge effect on ridership. Fan Pier has also added ridership.

4) The only street level service is the 4. Its so infrequent it does not count.

It doesnt matter what your personal feelings are about the SL. Dont pretend thousands of people arent using it every day, and that it cant handle additional riders.

^You're in denial. It's a piece of shit and is just as bad or worse than the B line.

^You're in denial. It's a piece of shit and is just as bad or worse than the B line.

I dont think those words mean what you think it means.

Please point out anything in my post that is an opinion, thus indicating denial?

Im sorry that facts alarm you.

I know there is a proposal for a new recycling facility somewhere around there that will use from 5-9 railcars a day on tracks somewhere around there.

You can also add RDK Engineers and Vanderweil Engineers.

I used to joke and call it the engineering/architectural district or neighborhood.
RDK, RGV, Edwards and Kelcey (now Jacobs as mentioned earlier), Shooshanian (now WSP Flack+Kurtz), AKF Engineers, TRO-Jung Brannen, ADD Inc., Elkus Manfredi, Cubellis (before they shut their doors), Payette (before they jump across the channel to Russia Wharf).

And, to the following comment, when I worked at Vanderweil, my phone read Vandelay Industries across the top banner.....

Of course all of those mentioned are either in Fort Point, or on the other side of the Seaport Square project, and Flack + Kurtz is down at the Black Falcon.

Fish & Richardson is at 1MP with those start-ups. Louis Boston would count as a non bar or restaurant business. WTC East & West have a very good occupancy rate if memory serves.

The day workers are there, and at certain times of day they make it look busy. Much in the same way DTX looks busy. It's not a lack of businesses and office workers, it's the lack of actual residents. Hopefully some of these apartments and condos start getting in gear and then filling up. You will see a marked change at that point. Park Lane has a fair amount of units, but is too far away to help anything, but once that gap starts getting bridged Things should start humming.

I'm hoping that would mean more middle of the road food and drink options as well as convenience stores and ultimately real markets. Places that run on 24/7 dwellers vs. 9-5er's.

Thanks Seamus. I knew there were more (and also completely support your branding of the eng/arch district).

I think what is most remarkable about all of these arch. and eng. firms is that they predate the ongoing Seaport renaissance (not the hotel, but the rebirth of the Seaport itself). With all these firms scattered around and the Design Center itself, the firms are essentially what comprise a good amount of the Seaport's business activity.

You are also directly on par with the need for actual residences in the areas in between that just happens to be... wait for it... Seaport Square!

Does Channel Center count? If so, State Street is moving some people there as well.

Back