Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

Architect, Idiot Architect.....much like how 007 introduces himself.

Now that I have completely pissed off all my "bosses"..... Time to stop.

Only if you consider yourself to be an "idiot architect."

Which I hope not.

Nobody thinks that they are an idiot. They are only outed as such on internet forums by very insightful, well informed posters.

Just so you know, my work in Boston has been called idiotic on these boards more than once. So I guess I am.

cca

Last edited:
Nobody thinks that they are an idiot. They are only outed as such on internet forums buy very insightful, well informed posters.

Just so you know, my work in Boston has been called idiotic on these boards more than once. So I guess I am.

cca

An architect with a thick skin, that I like.

Hopefully there has been some positive responses on here as well, even though this can be a very negative space (and not in the artistic or architectural meaning.)

An architect with a thick skin, that I like.

Hopefully there has been some positive responses on here as well, even though this can be a very negative space (and not in the artistic or architectural meaning.)

Don't we all have to have a thick skin? It's the only way to survive architecture school and get a degree. Haters gon' hate.

gzg1.jpg

Aesthetic preference is one thing, and can always be a matter of contention, but is mainly not my concern here.

The creation of "wide, lifeless boulevards" over and over again is a whole other thing. The infatuation with wide boulevards is a serious, endemic problem in the planning profession.

If the response of planners and architects to criticism is simply to blow it off as "haters gonna hate" then we're just going to keep going nowhere, and continue building more districts already doomed from the start, before the shovels even go in the ground.

I'm pretty sure that the people on this forum are sensible enough to get that, but as for the wider world, well...

The creation of "wide, lifeless boulevards" over and over again is a whole other thing. The infatuation with wide boulevards is a serious, endemic problem in the planning profession.

Do architects design "boulevards" or roads in general, though? Seemed like your statement was generally aimed at architects, who I always associate with buildings. I always thought roads were more in the planner/engineer sphere.

If the response of planners and architects to criticism is simply to blow it off as "haters gonna hate" then we're just going to keep going nowhere, and continue building more districts already doomed from the start, before the shovels even go in the ground.

If the architect is a designer, all of his/her work is based in solving a problem or problems. If the architect is on the artist spectrum then you may get something for arts-sake. Both are valid and the type of architect is easy to spot. Clients rarely mistake the two.

In the case of boulevards, if the architect also does urban planning, sure, an architect can be involved in the planning/envisioning of a street of that type, but in no way did some architect sit in his/her office and say "hey, lets plow a huge road through here" and BAM ... its done. A lot of vetting happened for sure so lets blame the army of people who thought it was a good idea.

I am still not sure why that makes anyone an idiot. There are plenty of genius artist out there that do stuff that you do not like/get/understand. Almost all of them in fact since there are billions of them and there are probably a dozen of whose work you really connect to. I think whoever was the vision for this move is just not playing your tune. I am sure they are sorry about that.

cca

double (sorry)

Eh ... you know ... they follow the typcial AB curve.

• Hope
  • Worry
  • Crane!
  • Love
  • Passionate Hate
  • Eh ... its not as bad as I thought

On the subject of the Seaport, I have the commercial leasing plans for Parcels B & C, the two apartment buildings that are supposed to break ground in June, plus 101 Seaport and Watermark Seaport. Three stories of retail at B & C, one to two stories at the others with absurdly high-end retail and local Boston stores and restaurants looking to put up a second "flagship" facility, plus some national high-end retail and restaurants. Move theater and bowling alley. You name it. Just completely over the top. I'm extremely torn about and ultimately reluctant to post the PDFs because they aren't public (I received them by way of a female friend who flirted enough over drinks with someone running the process, to the point that he forwarded them via e-mail to impress her - what a dope). But just think Newbury Street part deux.

On the subject of the Seaport, I have the commercial leasing plans for Parcels B & C, the two apartment buildings that are supposed to break ground in June, plus 101 Seaport and Watermark Seaport. Three stories of retail at B & C, one to two stories at the others with absurdly high-end retail and local Boston stores and restaurants looking to put up a second "flagship" facility, plus some national high-end retail and restaurants. Move theater and bowling alley. You name it. Just completely over the top. I'm extremely torn about and ultimately reluctant to post the PDFs because they aren't public (I received them by way of a female friend who flirted enough over drinks with someone running the process, to the point that he forwarded them via e-mail to impress her - what a dope). But just think Newbury Street part deux.
Thanks for the info. Don't post any PDFs that aren't publicly accessible. You'd be surprised how many professionals in the industry watch this board like a hawk for leaks in certain threads for their developments.

...I have the commercial leasing plans for Parcels B & C, the two apartment buildings that are supposed to break ground in June...

Isn't the existing chapel on either Seaport Square Parcel B or C?

If the chapel needs to be demolished and it won't be demolished until the new chapel is complete (2016 according to this) how does B and C break ground in June? I was under the impression the proposed project shares parcels B and C for subgrade parking and possibly a few floors of the base of the two respective towers.

Am I talking about different parcels?

Isn't the existing chapel on either Seaport Square Parcel B or C?

If the chapel needs to be demolished and it won't be demolished until the new chapel is complete (2016 according to this) how does B and C break ground in June? I was under the impression the proposed project shares parcels B and C for subgrade parking and possibly a few floors of the base of the two respective towers.

Am I talking about different parcels?

Yes, the church is on Parcel D I believe. Related, the soil truck has been at Parcel H this past week, which is where the church is being relocated to.

Back