Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer but the low rise at the center base of the rendering of that freaking fabulous building looks like the hotel now being built in front of the Barking Crab and the building on the lower left looks like it might be the Courthouse. Hopefully, I'm mistaken since this rendering doesn't jive with the huge double apartment building that's going up in that parcel.

It's hard to tell. I think it's a really old render/concept/massing model. Unfortunately the angle is terrible for inferring location. But, I think you're right. The docks are out behind it. I just can't figure out what is going on left of what would be the Vertex building. The harbor isn't enclosed like that at all.

The low-rise in the foreground of the rendering is the proposed retail pavilion in the main Seaport Square park, adjacent to the war memorial and opposite District Hall. The building rendered in the bottom-left corner is a placeholder for the residential highrise that will front onto the Fan Pier park.

So yes, that is Northern Ave. going towards Seaport Blvd. Goodwin Proctor placeholder on the left. Whether the rendering is current is anyone's guess.

The low-rise in the foreground of the rendering is the proposed retail pavilion in the main Seaport Square park, adjacent to the war memorial and opposite District Hall. The building rendered in the bottom-left corner is a placeholder for the residential highrise that will front onto the Fan Pier park.

So yes, that is Northern Ave. going towards Seaport Blvd. Goodwin Proctor placeholder on the left. Whether the rendering is current is anyone's guess.

It took me a while to find a perspective that made sense, but when I realized what this might be I looked back and saw your input, which I will agree with. The rendered building has a road going through it (the current configuration of Northern Avenue) and a road to its left (which would be a new street that effectively marks the intersection/border of Seaport Square, Fan Pier, and Pier 4). I desperately hope that that is a recent render of Parcel G.

^^ Totally agree we are looking east towards parcel G.

This is great. I don't think Hynes would stand up there and talk over a render that we haven't seen before but is stale and being dropped. I think this is fresh and it looks good! It's amazing how refreshing something a little off-grid can be. Part of me says you don't create fake features just to create features - grids are most rational and if you have a clean slate you go with a grid. But damn, it really adds some personality to have an irregularity and then sculpt a building into that unique setting. That is the good stuff of architecture that all clean slate developments miss out on.

Agree on parcel G, and it took me about five minutes of back and forth between the render and Google maps. Also agree that it's fabulous. If they built that, it would be up there with the best buildings in Boston.

Maybe I'm too tired and cranky but all I see here is Westin Copley meets One Western Ave. and by "meets" I mean "collides awkwardly with."

I will reassess after I take a nap.

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but was reading through the "China's Town" article on bostonmag and found this interesting:

"In his forties—with blond hair that looks like it’s been lightened, and a hint of gray in his wispy soul patch—Entwistle tells me how he’s lining up eager Chinese investors to buy the land for a 28-story office and retail project in Fort Point that he estimates will run about 500,000 square feet and cost $200 million. He’s also in early talks with a Chinese construction company about a billion-plus-dollar Seaport development—a business center with high-end living, offices for Asian firms, and retail for the Asian market. If all goes according to plan, it will be something like a second Chinatown, a glossy, steel-and-glass alternative to the one downtown."

Any rumors on which parcel in the Seaport this new chinatown would end up?

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2014/09/30/chinese-real-estate-boston/

Not sure if this belongs in this thread, but was reading through the "China's Town" article on bostonmag and found this interesting:

"In his forties—with blond hair that looks like it’s been lightened, and a hint of gray in his wispy soul patch—Entwistle tells me how he’s lining up eager Chinese investors to buy the land for a 28-story office and retail project in Fort Point that he estimates will run about 500,000 square feet and cost $200 million. He’s also in early talks with a Chinese construction company about a billion-plus-dollar Seaport development—a business center with high-end living, offices for Asian firms, and retail for the Asian market. If all goes according to plan, it will be something like a second Chinatown, a glossy, steel-and-glass alternative to the one downtown."

Any rumors on which parcel in the Seaport this new chinatown would end up?

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2014/09/30/chinese-real-estate-boston/

Why Chinese? Okay I get why it would be Chinese since they are flushed with cash, but I would love it if it becomes like J-town instead. We already have a Chinatown and a Koreantown (Harvard Ave.). Of course the fact that it seems like all of this will be located in one building doesn't make it seem anything like a "town".

Why Chinese? Okay I get why it would be Chinese since they are flushed with cash, but I would love it if it becomes like J-town instead. We already have a Chinatown and a Koreantown (Harvard Ave.). Of course the fact that it seems like all of this will be located in one building doesn't make it seem anything like a "town".

From the story in Boston Magazine
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2014/09/30/chinese-real-estate-boston/3/

This infusion of Chinese capital is fueling an already hypercompetitive residential real estate market. Over the past three years, as Chinese demand has accelerated, Boston’s median home value has gone up 26 percent, more than twice the nationwide rate of 12 percent. Over the past year, one-fifth of Coldwell Banker’s buyers in Boston have been foreign, of which the Chinese make up the largest percentage, says Pat Villani, president of the brokerage’s New England group. “For many years, we have talked about Chinese buyers coming into the market, because they started in New York quite a few years ago and made an enormous change on the New York market,” Villani explains. “Our market’s really been impacted over the past two to three years. It’s growing every year, and it’s making a difference.” ...

Ling got in yesterday. She’ll be gone by tonight. Later, when the right property comes on the market here, she’ll buy it from China, sight unseen.

The Chinese Boom, by the Numbers
retail-3-1.jpg

Now they have one daily flight Hainan BOS to Beijing and soon a 2nd daily flight Cathay Pacific BOS to Hong Kong

Depending on how large they build this, it could take on the feel of a town on its own. Something similar to Pacific Mall in Toronto (Markham to be exact) except less suburban would be great.

Depending on how large they build this, it could take on the feel of a town on its own. Something similar to Pacific Mall in Toronto (Markham to be exact) except less suburban would be great.

Yea, judging by the quote, this won't be one building. He mentioned that they were eager to buy the land for a 28 story, 500k sq ft building costing $200M, but that they were also in early talks about a $1 billion development. They're talking about two different projects there.

At this point we don't have any indication that Seaport Sq. is involved

The land in question could easily be:
a) close to Fort Point Channel -- the closest point to the "other Chinatown" via the Summer St. Bridge
b) in the Commonwealth Flats land owned by Massport -- very good relations with China vis a vis the 2 Airlines flying to Logan
c) ??

Judging by the Boston Magazine article -- Chinese investors are looking for "signature / iconic buildings" -- perhaps (c) maybe Pier 4 or even Fan Pier

Yea, judging by the quote, this won't be one building. He mentioned that they were eager to buy the land for a 28 story, 500k sq ft building costing $200M, but that they were also in early talks about a $1 billion development. They're talking about two different projects there.

The article also called that a 28 story office building didn't it? Not too many places in the seaport can handle that height. I thought there were like 2 parcels identified as part of the 100 acre plan that could go about 350' high which could handle 28 floors of office based on 12' FTF.

Maybe the Gillette parking lot is going to finally get into the mix of things. A billion buys a lot of building still. Roughly 5 of the 28 storey jobs mentioned above. Or more with varying heights and uses. So, yeah no reason that wouldn't be a distinct little enclave if not a neighborhood.

Woo speculation!

Looking forward to having a drink on the rooftop deck one of these days!

I assume this will be open this summer. Is this going to be completely public rooftop access, or only for people staying at the hotel?

I assume this will be open this summer. Is this going to be completely public rooftop access, or only for people staying at the hotel?

I suppose it is possible, but have you ever been to a hotel bar that asked for a room key before letting you in? I haven't.

Back