Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

Maybe the same principle applies as applies to height? Make your vision 1,000 times crazier than you'd even prefer. The forces of erosion won't be able to do as much damage, then.

If someone actually did propose "Manhattanizing" Boston, the city would probably wind up with some happy, South Endish medium of decent urban design.

Mmm. Unlike with children. My parents had to try 5 times before they got the perfect one.

Dickhead! Not cool! Not cool!

Just realized how incredibly dense the residential component was originally. If my math is correct:
6500 units x 2 people per unit = 13,000 people.
"100 Acres" (isn't that roughly the size of the Seaport planning initiative) = .156 Sq Miles
So that works out to 83,200 people per square mile. Meaning the 1990's plan for the Seaport was almost 3x as dense as Hoboken???

Sicilian, come out of retirement and help me out. What's wrong with my math?

During planning in the late 1990's, the Seaport was nicknamed "1000 Acres" not 100 Acres. A few years later, a fraction of Fort Point, the empty lots south of Summer Street, were nicknamed "100 Acres."

In the late 1990's, the BSA's Seaport Focus Team estimated that 10,000 to 12,000 housing units on the Seaport would be an appropriate density. The BRA compromised in the face of opposition from many quarters, reducing the goal between 5,000 to 8,000 in the published master plan. At the time, some (including me) were surprised that the BRA didn't capitulate further.

Well, they capitulated this week.

This week, the BRA presented a new goal: 6,000 housing units for the entire Innovation District. That is REALLY sparse as a goal.

Here's a map of the Innovation District showing scale to North End (6500+ housing units). The Innovation District is 1 x 1 mile in size.

http://cubeupload.com/im/Ph77sh.jpg

EDIT: Link update.

Last edited:
This week, the BRA presented a new goal: 6,000 housing units for the entire Innovation District. That is REALLY sparse as a goal.

Can't let a bunch of newcomers throw off the carefully-orchestrated demographic balance!

20121213-PC130025.jpg

20121213-PC130029.jpg

20121213-PC130030.jpg

To the right is where you park and wait for the girls on roller skates to bring you your burgers and fries:

20121213-PC130033.jpg

A two story gerbil tube is twice as awesome:

20121213-PC130036.jpg

20121213-PC130043.jpg

20121213-PC130048.jpg

20121213-PC130051.jpg

^^ Not really. After all, there's going to be another building between the Vertex checkerboard-facade building and the water--you can see the sales office in the second to last picture. There's going to be residences facing the water.

Suburban Dallas is wondering where the cheap suburban office buildings next to its highway interchanges went.

After a certain point, don't these +1 "these buildings suck" posts get redundant? Every time new pics are up we get the same gripes over and over and over again.

Suburban Dallas is wondering where the cheap suburban office buildings next to its highway interchanges went.

Suburban Raleigh is wondering when those jobs they were supposed to steal will show up...

^^ Not really. After all, there's going to be another building between the Vertex checkerboard-facade building and the water--you can see the sales office in the second to last picture. There's going to be residences facing the water.

Good point. I forgot there will be a residential building on the water there.

After a certain point, don't these +1 "these buildings suck" posts get redundant? Every time new pics are up we get the same gripes over and over and over again.

The horrible buildings are getting redundant, too. At a certain point, there's nothing to do but gape and try to outdo each other with snark. My only regret is that I'm not always the most creative at it.

(There's also a school of "it's good enough for me!" on this forum that is preemptively combatted by saying these things every so often.)

The horrible buildings are getting redundant, too. At a certain point, there's nothing to do but gape and try to outdo each other with snark. My only regret is that I'm not always the most creative at it.

(There's also a school of "it's good enough for me!" on this forum that is preemptively combatted by saying these things every so often.)

First world problems

This building looks like it belongs at Yellowstone National Park. The only thing missing is a big totem pole. It is an embarrassment of epic proportion. Hopefully it becomes such a popular meeting space that a small high rise addition will be added in the future. But even in that scenario, the damage has been done. I hope the landscaping will help hide it.

The yin and yang of every architecture forum, ever.

This building looks like it belongs at Yellowstone National Park. The only thing missing is a big totem pole. It is an embarrassment of epic proportion. Hopefully it becomes such a popular meeting space that a small high rise addition will be added in the future. But even in that scenario, the damage has been done. I hope the landscaping will help hide it.

I think its temporary (~10 year life span)

depending on how fast the whole area keeps going, it wont be there forever. In the meantime, it hopefully serves its role to serve as a meeting place for entrepreneurs and tourists alike. Hopefully, when its gone, a building that serves a similar purpose is kept somewhere.

Back