Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

WHY all that empty wind-swept space? It looks as though it just fell out of the sky and landed in the middle of a parking lot. I don't dislike the design, but the scale and site usage seem all wrong.

Yes, thank you, "Tim Jackson". Good information.

The rendering is worthwhile not for what it shows but also for what it doesn't. Namely, the Courthouse to one side and the highrises that will be built behind it (where the white "walls" are).

The architect and/or developer says this will be 35 condos; this is confusing since prior he had stated it would be 100 units of housing - 50 condos and 50 rentals. Retail is on the first two (or three?) floors.

I think someone would have to think really really (REALLY) hard about buying on this site. It's just Phase I of the project, and there's no guarantee Phase II or Phase III will ever be built. Would you want to own a condo overlooking a clam shack and with a courthouse behind you ... and 3,000 above-ground parking spots, and people walking in and out from beneath you, all day and night? You'll never be able to pull back the curtains.

Rental building, maybe.

And I like the design.

Wow - "Tim Jackson" - thank you for the rendering. For a "freshman in college" you sure do have a lot of insider information, and a really well-reasoned and in-depth thoughts on the Columbus Center project.

Keep up the good work ;)

Haha, thanks Pelhamhall. Rest assured that I am indeed going to be a freshman in college in exactly one week.

It helps that my dad is in the business. He only does stuff in the suburbs, but he and I can have a lot of discussions and he has taught me a lot about architecture, planning, approvals process, etc.

Anonymity is what keeps us all honest here (ironic isn't it?) - it's too small of a town to trash a project or praise a project when you know so many people and players personally.

You are very well-read, and I enjoyed your thoughts on Columbus Center. Your father should be (and I'm sure is) proud.

Now get to work on snagging and scanning some renderings from his office that none of us has seen yet!

Haha, I'll do that. Unfortunately, he only keeps stuff from his own projects in there...all in the burbs and nothing to do with Boston. That rendering came from a website, I saved the image to my hard drive (i'm kind of a nerd like that - I keep all kinds of renderings and stuff on my computer for my own personal use). I'll try and find the website for you guys.

EDIT: Found it. Click HERE.

Last edited:
It's a pretty sharp looking little building, although I think the white mullions are a little too "Miami" for my taste. Considering Jimbo's thoughts, I hope it's in the right place...

Haha, I'll do that. Unfortunately, he only keeps stuff from his own projects in there...all in the burbs and nothing to do with Boston. That rendering came from a website, I saved the image to my hard drive (i'm kind of a nerd like that - I keep all kinds of renderings and stuff on my computer for my own personal use). I'll try and find the website for you guys.

EDIT: Found it. Click HERE.
Hey I was kind of a nerd too back in the 80's saveing all the newspaper clippings of rendings and such,tuck way in folders, desk draws ect, and 25 years later,thanks to the invention of the computer I was able to share them here with other's,so keep saveing!

But, WHY does it have to float in that sea of asphalt? Why doesn't it extend to Northern Avenue?

I intend to, Boston 02124. I think it will be cool to look back in 20 years and see how the city has changed.

But, WHY does it have to float in that sea of asphalt? Why doesn't it extend to Northern Avenue?

Well, this is just the first stage of a multi-billion dollar development. If everything goes according to plan, that sea of asphalt will be engulfed by a new neighborhood. It will take time, though. Projects of this magnitude take a lot of time to plan, approve, and ultimately build.

There is a difference between undeveloped land and deliberately undeveloped land. This falls into the latter category. It's being kept empty for effect - it won't be developed on at a later date. Which is sad, because this promises to be a great little building, but the City Hall Plaza thing is just very annoying.

That looks like the type of generic contemporary architechure thats popin gup all over WIlliamsburg, Brooklyn nowadays. Get ready for some real shit!

That's a compliment, I take it? If generic Williamsburg style were to establish itself on SBW, it would be a quantum leap for Boston architecture.

I find no fault with this building.

justin

I intend to, Boston 02124. I think it will be cool to look back in 20 years and see how the city has changed.

Well, this is just the first stage of a multi-billion dollar development. If everything goes according to plan, that sea of asphalt will be engulfed by a new neighborhood. It will take time, though. Projects of this magnitude take a lot of time to plan, approve, and ultimately build.

I believe riffgo wasn't talking about the lack of other buildings being built. He was talking about the ground-level design of the building. The road between this parcel and the Barking Crab has been eliminated, but now the only thing that is between the two buildings is a concrete walkway. There are no trees, no grass, just a bunch of tables with umbrellas. There should be trees lining the entire outside of the building, and maybe something between the Crab like a mini-lawn with a nice little fountain. It doesn't have to be a grand public space, but the space shown in the rendering is absolutely hideous. I would love to find out that this was just a rendering of the building, and there will be an updated rendering that will show a pedestrian-friendly base of the building.

P.S. Welcome to the board Tim Jackson

The roadway behind the Barking Crab is a dead end so this is no loss. I read that they may re-open the Northern Ave bridge to traffic so then that picture would not be accurate. I doubt the Federal government is happy to have the court house located on a dead end as it is now. Too inconvenient.

The roadway behind the Barking Crab is a dead end so this is no loss. I read that they may re-open the Northern Ave bridge to traffic so then that picture would not be accurate. I doubt the Federal government is happy to have the court house located on a dead end as it is now. Too inconvenient.

Northern Avenue is not a dead end, it connects to Sleeper Street and loops back to Seaport Blvd. The entrance to the courthouse and loading is down the other ned of the building anyway.

Doubtful that the Northern Avenue bridge will ever get reopened to vehicular traffic.

As long as they leave the Barking Crab then I'm happy, it's a nice relic of a byegone era, one of the last places with "soul" that's left in the city. I'd rather have a slightly run down clam shack than a beige precast blob that has a Starbuck's open from 8-5 to "enliven" the water's edge.

The food is never as good as you remember it being, but it's one of the only restaurants in the city that is directly on the water and you can't beat the pitchers of Harpoon.

As long as they leave the Barking Crab then I'm happy, it's a nice relic of a byegone era, one of the last places with "soul" that's left in the city. I'd rather have a slightly run down clam shack than a beige precast blob that has a Starbuck's open from 8-5 to "enliven" the water's edge.

The food is never as good as you remember it being, but it's one of the only restaurants in the city that is directly on the water and you can't beat the pitchers of Harpoon.

Agreed- they are a little overpriced- but much preferred to the alternative of faceless corporatization or more bland upscale/ gentrified business development (how many martini bars and lounges must this city have??)

My fiancee and I remember fearing that James Hook would be gone forever with luxury condos in it's place following the fire... thanks goodness they are rebuilding.

I love the idea of a full Seaport Square neighborhood with restaurants, condos, hotels, theaters, etc. What I don't love is the vision of turning it into another upscale/trendy area where places like Hook and the Crab are made extinct.

Barking Crab throws Gale plan a curve

Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman Boston Business Journal

The owners of The Barking Crab Restaurant are proposing a remake of the clam shack ? a move that could complicate a neighboring plan by Gale International, developers of the massive project known as Seaport Square.

Gale International, with its partner, Boston Residential Group, wants to build a six-story residential and retail building within feet of the site now occupied by the Barking Crab. They have offered to let the Barking Crab move into the proposed building.

?We reached out to the Crab several times and are going to continue to do so,? said Curtis Kemeny, president of Boston Residential Group.

The Barking Crab owners declined that offer ? and now are proposing their own six-storey building with residential, retail and possibly office uses. They outlined it in a letter of intent filed with the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

Calls to one of the Barking Crab?s owners, Scott Garvey, president of Poseidon Enterprises Inc., were not returned. Garvey said through a spokesman: ?We are at the onset of the redevelopment process for our property located at 88 Sleeper St. in South Boston, which currently houses The Barking Crab Restaurant, Neptune Lobster & Seafood Company and Neptune Marine. We are working closely with the Boston Redevelopment Authority, all relevant state agencies, abutters and stakeholders to ensure that our development not only maintains the vitality of the Fort Point Channel but builds upon it.?

The owners plan to increase the 5,842-square-feet property to 75 feet in height and build a new 38,000-square-foot building, according to a filing with the BRA. Under the BRA?s South Boston Municipal Harbor Plan a six-story building is allowed.

The seafood company and marina will remain as part of the proposed plan as will public bathrooms. The owners plan to pursue Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification, which is the U.S. Green Building Council?s rating system for environmentally friendly projects.

Gale?s site is located in Barking Crab parking and loading areas.

Kemeny wanted to move the Barking Crab from its current location to complete the Boston Harborwalk. Kemeny and Gale?s plan is to create a pedestrian plaza in place of the parking lot, trash and loading area that sit adjacent to the restaurant.

Both projects need BRA approval, although Gale is further ahead in the process. BRA spokeswoman Jessica Shumaker said the location of the two projects side-by-side will have to be considered when reviewing the plans.

?I think it?s too early to comment right now,? Shumaker said. ?This is only a letter of intent so we haven?t seen further details. That is something that will have to be discussed knowing Seaport Square is under review as well.?

The Barking Crab, next to the Joe Moakley U.S. Court House, has been open for 14 years and is known for its casual atmosphere. Patrons sit at long tables with benches, don plastic bibs and crack open lobsters with supplied rocks while taking in views of Boston?s skyline.

Michelle Hillman can be reached at mhillman@bizjournals.com.

LINK

If the turns into a battle that stumps the progress of Seaport Square, I just might lose it...Besides, I don't want to see The Barking Crab redeveloped like that. Is it the best restaurant in town? No, but it is one of the unique spots in Boston - it has local flavor. I feel like a six story building where it is now would ruin that.

LINK
Gale International, with its partner, Boston Residential Group, wants to build a six-story residential and retail building within feet of the site now occupied by the Barking Crab.

Weren't we just complaining about how much 'all that empty wind-swept space' there is between the buildings? Got to love reporters

Back