Re: Six Ten @ MIT | 610 Main Street, Cambridge

Today:

7546715466_b9258c76c8_b.jpg

7546712910_afac69b4ee_b.jpg

7546709306_91eff794d1_b.jpg

7546702696_403d4710d4_b.jpg

7546699364_e72e3e0a84_b.jpg

Two more mechanical floors will be going up. I can't believe how deep the hole is getting.

Two more mechanical floors will be going up. I can't believe how deep the hole is getting.

Crash -- this is not just an office building -- this is the home of "Big Science" for Big Pharma -- there could be serious instrumentation and lab equipment that needs to be supported by a lot of infrastructure

The public filings say it's a huge underground parking garage and mechanical area. I'm all too familiar with the infrastructure requirements for big pharma.

It takes a lot to facilitate science.

Yeah, I'm sure the huge parking garage is an integral part of their planned research agenda.

Yeah, I'm sure the huge parking garage is an integral part of their planned research agenda.

CZ -- actually it is -- Not everyone who will be working for Pfizer wants to live in the midst of the city. Some of them will want to live out in the suburbs, or even in the "sticks" on a farm. Some will want to take Commuter Rail to Porter and then the Red Line and some just will want to drive to Cambridge and park an elevator ride from their labs.

Having a garage in the basement facilitates recruiting the top people as you give them a choice.

You know, Harvard doesn't have that much parking and I think they do okay attracting the "top people".

You know, Harvard doesn't have that much parking and I think they do okay attracting the "top people".

CZ -- Harvard actually has some quite large garages a few blocks north of the Mass Ave, Cambridge St. intersection probably sufficient for most of the faculty on the Cambridge Campus

I suspect that Harvard will have just as much if not more parking in the their new Alston facilities where the options for living near-by don't really exist

CZ -- Harvard actually has some quite large garages a few blocks north of the Mass Ave, Cambridge St. intersection probably sufficient for most of the faculty on the Cambridge Campus

I suspect that Harvard will have just as much if not more parking in the their new Alston facilities where the options for living near-by don't really exist

I'll bet that Harvard spent $150 million for the excavation and two levels of parking for the science complex. A third level is for mechanical / utilities. The slab is certainly bigger than BU's New Balance field.

From yesterday and today:

7 floors, 2 mechanical floors and a mechanical screen. It sure went up quick...

I believe this is 610 that you can see in the distance.

img1144px.jpg

By gw1980 at 2012-08-25
img1145rf.jpg

By gw1980 at 2012-08-25

Shots from about 3 weeks ago:

From yesterday:

The tower crane at the site has been dissembled and removed. The glass curtain wall is going up rather fast on Albany street. The mechanical equipment all appears to be on top with the mechanical screen almost finished.

Yet they're still digging on the other portion of the site.

Another case where leaving the insulation (?) on would make the result look way better. Imagine it half neon green.

Another case where leaving the insulation (?) on would make the result look way better. Imagine it half neon green.

What does it say about the state of contemporary architecture that I think this every single time I see the bright-green insulation? What we're building today is, 9 times out of 10, a glassy/prefab/Alucobond cube/rectangle, which is about as dull as the human brain can fathom. Given that, "lime green insulation" is our latter-day equivalent of a massive roseate window or intricately carved gargoyle.

Back