Somerville Infill and Small Developments

Very very interesting 2-br concept they're using here (in addition to a traditional 2-br). It's designed specifically for roommates:

90 Washington St. Permit Set - A7.7 #1
357f246.png

That's a pretty neat concept - I'm actually surprised I've never seen something like it before. Is there a reason developers don't do this more often?

It is a neat concept and I can totally see myself living comfortably in that setup (I like my privacy) but I imagine the reason why we haven't seen this more is that it seems to be a rather inefficient use of space, what with the duplicity of hall area needed to get from the actual bedrooms to the front door and common spaces -- the closet/bathroom/walkway units could easily be compressed down to half the size. But obviously this developer is taking a different tack and I applaud them for doing so.

Kz, I see what you're saying about the two hallways (and looks like even those hallways utilize space with what looks like closets along the exterior walls though not sure what the dashes mean, sliding doors?) but having lived in a unit similar to this but with the traditional design of bedrooms off the living room, the separate hallways free up space in the bedrooms and living areas by not having the usual doorways leading from living room to bedrooms on either side. Total use of wall space to arrange furniture and especially in the bedrooms, no doors for closets either. One door, that's it. Very functional.

Who's bathroom becomes the common shitter when you're entertaining? Total roommate power struggle....

Who's bathroom becomes the common shitter when you're entertaining? Total roommate power struggle....

I would let guests shit all day in my bathroom if it was mine when not entertaining. Having one bathroom in a 2BR apartment was the worst. Granted a lot of this probably depends on who is living there and their um, habits.

That's a pretty neat concept - I'm actually surprised I've never seen something like it before. Is there a reason developers don't do this more often?

Looks like a standard modern dorm apartment to me. Essentially all the new dorms you see in the area are like that.

In other cities, privately run dorm-style places are like that too.

See an example here:

http://univcentre.com/floorplans

Check out the amenities too.

Problem is, theres a market for people 21+ that want that kind of apartment but dont want to be surrounded by college kids. By advertising to college kids, you scare off everyone else.

That market isnt being fulfilled at all.

WRtWjhT.jpg

The fencing is finally down at the new underpass connecting Ten Hills to Assembly Square. Picture here of the new elevated crossing to the new path and bridge. A little more work to do still (turn the lights on, for one) but this is about done enough for me.

Like some of you I've been using this crossing surreptitiously for nearly a year now. A great, albeit minor, extension of the Mystic path system.

And one other Somerville development on the horizon. Planning commission hearing later this month on a new restaurant at the site of a current autobody shop on Beacon Street. Dodakin's across from the Academy of Arts and Sciences. The name appears to be "Cobble Hill" though the images call it Dodakin's.

Fn0Glgy.png

DkAyyIi.png

rsS1yK2.png

Gotta love how they plop trees down almost entirely blocking the tiny sidewalk. How very Boston of them.

Pushing for larger sidewalks is going to be one of the defining features of the McCarthy overpass grounding project.

Ground floor amenities: A
Density: B- (one section of this should be at least 2wice as tall)
Aesthetics: F (brain dead historicist throwback) Blech.

I agree with your comment that their should be a portion of this building that is taller. I would suggest however that you spend one day working with the Somerville Planning Department so you can see how Zoning regulations dictate everything they do and quite often a blind eye is turned to the actual design. Combine that with the Design Review Committee which is made up of a group of know-it-alls that in the end have more power of design than the architect. Let me just say that this project looked much different before the city got their hands on it.

I agree with your comment that their should be a portion of this building that is taller. I would suggest however that you spend one day working with the Somerville Planning Department so you can see how Zoning regulations dictate everything they do and quite often a blind eye is turned to the actual design. Combine that with the Design Review Committee which is made up of a group of know-it-alls that in the end have more power of design than the architect. Let me just say that this project looked much different before the city got their hands on it.

Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

I love the use of "study" to mask the third bedroom on some of the units. I think that's because they don't meet the minimum dimensions or they otherwise miss the requirements for a bedroom.

Auto access off of McGrath will be fun for residents.

Construction projects seem to be happening in pairs in Somerville these days. Below are new renders for two mixed use buildings at 508 and 510 Somerville Ave (current sites of a closed skating shop and auto body shop by Park St).
q4exMX6.png

iejUvQQ.png

i3SWa6t.png

And another one at 260 and 266 Beacon Street (across from the Star Market)
WuEwKMm.png

qYm3p3H.png

QqVQWlK.png

Good to see retail spaces in most of those structures!

One of the uglier vacant lots in the city now has proposed less ugly housing townhouses.
This is Somerville Ave and Laurel--across from Park Street.

What is now
FCRiaD1.png

What may be
2KXBmF9.png

Side view from Laurel. This is actually several rows of the same sort of townhouses
K6YHkGl.png

Back