Somerville Infill and Small Developments

A U-Haul facility, or for that matter even a gas station, doesn't need to be stand-alone low density. It can be integrated into a mid-rise development of commercial/residential/office, such as in Cambridge.
They’re nowhere near a t station. I can’t think of a gas station or storage facility on the doorstep of an urban t station. In fact both those gas stations are a 2 min drive to the pike.
why don’t they build six stories of storage on main in Cambridge?

The Uhaul permit application lists City Planner Andrew Graminski and City Councilman J.T. Scott as stakeholders.

contact them today to voice concerns:

JT Scott: jtscott at somervillema dot gov
Andrew Graminski: agraminski at somervillema dot gov

You honestly believe this is good use of a site 20ft from an urban t station? There’s already one at assembly 5 mins walk from the t.
It's important to be clear that the "urban" station is not a subway station with 3 to 4 minute headways with 10-car subway trains that could disgorge thousands of people at once. This is a station that will get a light-rail vehicle every 8 to 10 minutes at maximum. Brickbottom, Union Square, and Inner Belt are not going to have the level of transit service that will support the kind of development like Long Island City and Hunter Point in Queens, or the waterfront of Jersey City. And, even in those places they have storage buildings in a block or two proximity to a subway or path station, because the residents and businesses of that area need storage if the dense urban environment is going to work for them.

The level of intensity in your retort is both confusing and extremely disparate to what's the reality of the land and transit service is at this site.

It's important to be clear that the "urban" station is not a subway station with 3 to 4 minute headways with 10-car subway trains that could disgorge thousands of people at once. This is a station that will get a light-rail vehicle every 8 to 10 minutes at maximum. Brickbottom, Union Square, and Inner Belt are not going to have the level of transit service that will support the kind of development like Long Island City and Hunter Point in Queens, or the waterfront of Jersey City. And, even in those places they have storage buildings in a block or two proximity to a subway or path station, because the residents and businesses of that area need storage if the dense urban environment is going to work for them.

The level of intensity in your retort is both confusing and extremely disparate to what's the reality of the land and transit service is at this site.
Thanks for explaining how the GLX will work.
I'm not talking about Long Island City development.
I just think that this doesn't fit with the Brickbottom small area plan that the city just published.
Seems to me that there is an opportunity to build a decent community here, just like there was at the scrap yards where US2 is building or the rail yards where CX is building.
I don't think turning one of the more important sites in the area in to a windowless 6 story monolith devoid of life is good urban planning.
I'm not saying that storage facilities don't have a place, they do, I just don't think it should be at the center of a new transit oriented community.

I'm have to voice that I see the logic of fattony's devil advocacy. It's a paradox - low-land value, but useful venues should be transit accessible, but being transit accessible makes it too valuable to such type of venues.

Anything near any station is a case for a dense, urban transit oriented community. Until demand is satiated with supply or collapses (and realistically, we can't expect that we'll see demand satiated with supply anytime soon, just relieve a little while we will live with some amount of gentrification), no station will make sense to be anything else but a dense, urban, transit-oriented community.

We need as much housing as possible to relieve demand. But carless access to essentially industrial zones has it's uses, there's a reason why old warehouses tend to house gyms, sport training spaces , martial art spaces, art galleries, and storage are in such areas. Brickbottom shouldn't stay an industrial zone, but the outcome we will get is needing cars to reach such venues (not to say we won't have any in urban areas, but I hope you can see the pattern I'm trying to say here).

----

I also don't like the idea of the cities dictating what one should do with private property. Brickbottom Small Area Plan still has to respect ownership, TOD-philosophy says the area should be something residential (with some commercial), but I don't like the idea of essentially dictating U-Haul (despite though it's a faceless cooperation) sell or go into the residential landlord business. But I'm not sure where to draw the line besides lines like safety.

----

Also the Mercedes-Benz bothers me a lot more. I'm pretty sure storage would be useful for a signification number of people in the community. The car dealerships would not except to the maybe the one person who find themselves working there.

Seems like valid points all around. Honestly I’m not totally convinced that BB is inherently set up to succeed as an ‘urban’ center. The super/mega blocks make it less conducive to walking and exploring various storefronts; more conducive to constructing long medium rise slab buildings, like the Chestnut St lab building going in. Most people will drive there and park in the underground garage. And while they’re in the area, maybe they’ll stop by their storage room and grab their skis. This being said, the Uhaul building proposal is hideous and hopefully community members will stop it in its tracks.

I'm have to voice that I see the logic of fattony's devil advocacy. It's a paradox - low-land value, but useful venues should be transit accessible, but being transit accessible makes it too valuable to such type of venues.

Anything near any station is a case for a dense, urban transit oriented community. Until demand is satiated with supply or collapses (and realistically, we can't expect that we'll see demand satiated with supply anytime soon, just relieve a little while we will live with some amount of gentrification), no station will make sense to be anything else but a dense, urban, transit-oriented community.

We need as much housing as possible to relieve demand. But carless access to essentially industrial zones has it's uses, there's a reason why old warehouses tend to house gyms, sport training spaces , martial art spaces, art galleries, and storage are in such areas. Brickbottom shouldn't stay an industrial zone, but the outcome we will get is needing cars to reach such venues (not to say we won't have any in urban areas, but I hope you can see the pattern I'm trying to say here).

----

I also don't like the idea of the cities dictating what one should do with private property. Brickbottom Small Area Plan still has to respect ownership, TOD-philosophy says the area should be something residential (with some commercial), but I don't like the idea of essentially dictating U-Haul (despite though it's a faceless cooperation) sell or go into the residential landlord business. But I'm not sure where to draw the line besides lines like safety.

----

Also the Mercedes-Benz bothers me a lot more. I'm pretty sure storage would be useful for a signification number of people in the community. The car dealerships would not except to the maybe the one person who find themselves working there.
Right, yea, I agree with you.
you can be transit accessible without being right on the doorstep of the station tho.
Also, it's a nice idea that it's going to be carless but in reality it's not, and it completely undermines the potential of a t station.

I mean look, they are putting a huge sign saying 'Drive in storage' right beside the new station.
1655314130141.png

I'm not advocating getting rid of Uhaul, rather just questioning their expansion plans.
I'm not for compulsory purchase of private land/business but they seem to be making good use of it in Union.
And while I have a problem with helicopter herb and his cars, that's an existing business.
I was equally annoyed about his commercial van expansion.

For me, a lot of this has to do with the way East Somerville (including inner belt and Brickbottom) is treated in general.
The lack of sound barriers on 93.
The state of the kensington underpass.
The fiasco over cobble Hill
The constant trash problems under McGrath and along New Washington st.
The lack of any imagination re. the inner belt.
and on and on.

I've lived in the area for 14 years now and it seems that ward 1 is often the after thought, the carpet that all the dirt gets swept under.
When the GLX project was reined in and re done, it was clear to everyone that East Somerville station would be hardest hit by the new designs.
and sure enough, the station serving the poorest area on the route was butchered the most.
But that's ok, because at least it was still a station and could kick start something new and vibrant that could be beneficial to everyone.
US2 and CX have been in the works for years and now when you take the T to Lechmere and Union, it looks very impressive.
The brickbottom plan gave a glimmer of hope that things might be different this time and that east somerville might get the gate way it deserves.
Instead passengers will be alighting to 6 stories of drive in storage.

I know I'm banging on a bit here but I really think this project dictates the theme of what will come around this station and I don't like it, hell, I don't even understand it.

The Uhaul permit application lists City Planner Andrew Graminski and City Councilman J.T. Scott as stakeholders.

contact them today to voice concerns:

JT Scott: jtscott at somervillema dot gov
Andrew Graminski: agraminski at somervillema dot gov
Thanks for this Dr.RR
I heard back from Andrew Graminski

"Hello Ruairi,
Thank you for providing the comment and being engaged. We will make sure the comment is provided to the ZBA before the hearing.
The hearing for this case will be on Wednesday July 13, 2022. A staff memo will be available online before the hearing, which will be able to be accessed via reports & decisions.
Best regards,
Andrew Graminski (He/Him) "

Right, yea, I agree with you.
you can be transit accessible without being right on the doorstep of the station tho.

Theoretically, yes. But realistically that's not on the table. Unless some site is identified and an offer is actually on the table, a self-storage site that remains transit accessible but not on so prime of land as being next to the station is not on the table. The reality is either the Uhaul is where it is located now or doesn't exist in that spot at all in favor of a different landowner.

Also, it's a nice idea that it's going to be carless but in reality it's not, and it completely undermines the potential of a t station.

The design and advertising is car-oriented. But the de facto practice and value is a person can take the train directly to U-Haul without finding access to a car to get to the location. That is a carless value, even if the building itself is still design to allow to drive-in (after all, you can't carry mattress to the train so some level of car access is still needed)

I'm not advocating getting rid of Uhaul, rather just questioning their expansion plans.

I need to note that if you're not advocating getting rid of UHaul, but also support "community members will stop it in its tracks." Then it means keeping it as a 1-story tall UHaul building. An even lower level of utility for the land it occupies.

Also outside of this line (including the likely wording written to the city planner), it doesn't sound like just questioning and thus a discussion on how to build this better.

Theoretically, yes. But realistically that's not on the table. Unless some site is identified and an offer is actually on the table, a self-storage site that remains transit accessible but not on so prime of land as being next to the station is not on the table. The reality is either the Uhaul is where it is located now or doesn't exist in that spot at all in favor of a different landowner.

The design and advertising is car-oriented. But the de facto practice and value is a person can take the train directly to U-Haul without finding access to a car to get to the location. That is a carless value, even if the building itself is still design to allow to drive-in (after all, you can't carry mattress to the train so some level of car access is still needed)

I need to note that if you're not advocating getting rid of UHaul, but also support "community members will stop it in its tracks." Then it means keeping it as a 1-story tall UHaul building. An even lower level of utility for the land it occupies.

Also outside of this line (including the likely wording written to the city planner), it doesn't sound like just questioning and thus a discussion on how to build this better.
Yes, I’m not advocating for getting rid of uhaul., I advocating to stop their expansion.
I think it’s aesthetically ugly and a poor practical option to get maximum use of the new t station.

Yes, I’m not advocating for getting rid of uhaul., I advocating to stop their expansion.
I think it’s aesthetically ugly and a poor practical option to get maximum use of the new t station.

You're advocating for keeping the status quo. Seems like even less of the max use of the new T station.

I'm with Ruairi on this one, particularly as there is *already a self storage monolith at assembly*. I'm not totally opposed to a storage facility, but it would be better done like the assembly parking garages - in the middle of a block wrapped with housing and retail. At the very least a retail podium with storage above.

Yup. I’m not opposed to storage, an effort to integrate something smaller in to the brick bottom plan would be fine by me.

Why would one deny the folks in the many new low-car developments in Union the option to store their things and rather force them travel to Assembly?

I'm really confused how many are missing Ruari's point here.

There are better ways to incorporate a storage building in an urban context than what's proposed. This isn't a binary No-Storage-At-All vs. New-Suburban-Esque-Storage-Facility. I think they've made that clear.

I'm really confused how many are missing Ruari's point here.

There are better ways to incorporate a storage building in an urban context than what's proposed. This isn't a binary No-Storage-At-All vs. New-Suburban-Esque-Storage-Facility. I think they've made that clear.

i agree and further it seems like some folks are just trying to pick a fight and score points.

Back