South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Jesus that's a lot of new development. What is Southie doing right to make sure these work so well?

The beauty of as of right development when zoning allows for urbanism

I really think that every other non core neighborhood in Boston should have as of right zoning like Southie. It just doesn't make sense to not automatically allow 3-5 story apartment buildings most of the city looks like that already.

Southie is very impressive in both the scope and quality of infill they are building. Lots of variety and lots of density. Sure they aren't brownstones but that time has passed and I think these are the perfect answer to how to do it right in modern times. Very impressive.They are also mostly keeping the old stock intact and filling in the gaps in between. As citylover said this should be a model for the entire city.

I think its only a matter of time before the Dorchester domino starts to fall and I really hope that when it does they make it a point to add retail to the bases. I feel like here you get storefronts on the main strips and the rest is just tons and tons of houses. We could definitely use some off the beaten path retail to give us a reason to stay here at night and not have to go somewhere else to shop/dine.

With all this new development, particularly on the slopes of the hill and plain on the seaport side, are they adding in new commercial space? It seems that as the neighborhood expands seaport-ward, it would make sense for some secondary commercial centers to be built and not rely so heavily on Broadway.

With all this new development, particularly on the slopes of the hill and plain on the seaport side, are they adding in new commercial space? It seems that as the neighborhood expands seaport-ward, it would make sense for some secondary commercial centers to be built and not rely so heavily on Broadway.

A Street and D Street are supposed to fill that role.

A Street and D Street are supposed to fill that role.

Cool, didn't know that. Sounds like a good idea. Hard to see how A street can add all that much except in the segment close to Broadway but I know it has been filling in a little around there. I'd like to see them make D street two ways; that would add to making it a good commercial corridor.

Cool, didn't know that. Sounds like a good idea. Hard to see how A street can add all that much except in the segment close to Broadway but I know it has been filling in a little around there. I'd like to see them make D street two ways; that would add to making it a good commercial corridor.

West 1st, specifically by Dorchester St, is getting a handful of new commercial as well. And 11 Dorchester will soon be home to a new restaurant called Publico Street Bistro.

Back