South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Re: South Boston Development

Ha. Out of the corner of my eye I suddenly caught the "1899" on the Congress Street Bridge. Had never noticed before.

Other then the terrible first floor, I liked the first one better. It looks factory-like (especially with the multi-pane windows) which is fitting for the borderlands between the established residential southie and the industrial northern half. This new proposal is just the same recycled urban rowhouse trash I see everywhere. Trash may be a strong word for it, but I really feel that this style of residential, whatever it may be, just screams "flavor of the week" and will look dated in a decade or less. The first floor also looks like a glass-walled parking garage. Better then a CMU-walled parking garage of the first rendering, but still lackluster at best.

It looks like an attempt to appropriate triple-decker style for a larger apartment complex. It might actually come off looking better than most triple-deckers, and if it appeases NIMBYs into allowing this sort of development across Boston, it might be worth it.

Are those retail spaces in the new version as well? Better.

This looks quite nice and is a huge improvement over that oppressive hulk originally approved. Nothing great but it is a decent bit of modernism happily rejecting the role of a "Colonial/Victorian" poseur.

whatever it may be, just screams "flavor of the week"

I'll take 2 scoops please.

Are the first floors intended to be retail, or residential?

The Boston.com article states the first floor will be retail in all four buildings.

^Says "commercial" not "retail". And for one of the buildings it said "non-retail commercial."

Looks like something you'd see in South Florida to me. But then again, tackier the better in South Boston.

I suppose 'non-retail commercial' could mean a restaurant, or a bank, or some sort of office.

Ha. Out of the corner of my eye I suddenly caught the "1899" on the Congress Street Bridge. Had never noticed before.

The Summer Street bridge was built in 1899 and has ironwork marking that date above the street. Congress Street bridge was built many years later.

Anyone know what's planned for the lot on D St across from West Square?

Who is this designed for? To me it looks like its for low income housing, but I get the impression it will carry yuppie prices. It does look flimsy and more suitable for Florida. So I don't think the yuppies will like it for its aesthetics and I don't think low income will be able to afford it. I do like the new one better than the old one though, if only they could just make it look a little... classier.

Who is this designed for? To me it looks like its for low income housing, but I get the impression it will carry yuppie prices. It does look flimsy and more suitable for Florida. So I don't think the yuppies will like it for its aesthetics and I don't think low income will be able to afford it. I do like the new one better than the old one though, if only they could just make it look a little... classier.

Southie is getting a lot of modern takes on traditional triple deckers. Lots of color too. For the most part, I welcome them.

The best of these is First and First townhouses. Beautiful.
If 22-26 West Broadway is built as rendered, gorgeous.

Anyone know what's planned for the lot on D St across from West Square?

The project name is 339 D Street which will be a 4 story building with 24 units and 30 parking spaces.

New steel going up on the 400 block of E Street.

IMG_8746

Back