South End Infill and Small Developments

Thought you didn't like cor-ten, Lurker. Copper would be nice. Or zinc.

A handsome building, nonetheless.

I have a love & hate relationship with cor-ten. There's something in its use which repulses me in the celebration of a material aesthetic that most closely resembles derelict industrial ruins, yet another part of me is mesmerized by the organic textures and color palette.

...part of me is mesmerized by the organic textures and color palette.

That's why I like it.

With a sizable budget, I'd like to build a rammed-earth and cor-ten beachhouse. Lots of glass, a bit like a solar hemicycle. Think they'd allow that in Wellfleet?

I know this is really roxbury but I could'nt find a thread for Roxbury devel. or Mass ave Devel. move if u have too! I don't know where this came from it was'nt there last time I drove by?
286.jpg
285.jpg
288.jpg
new train station?
287.jpg
291.jpg
292.jpg

Last edited:
So it's still legal to take photos while driving, I guess? LOL!

Last one is 693 Mass Ave, new apartments. The (re)development next to RoundHouse Suites I don't know about.

Above that, next to the commuter rail - is this possibly a new train station for the extension of the Fairmont Line? Looks about right location.

^ I know I'm as bad as a 16 yr old texting and driveing,had to quit old habits.I have started to pull over more lol!

New condo development headed to South End?
Boston Herald

It is believed that a major piece of South End property may be the site of a large residential project to be located on Washington Street.

A well-placed source tells me that Victor Leon, owner of the Leon Electric property at 1230-1264 Washington Street has been talking to area residents about building a 100-foot tall condo or apartment building with as many as 200 units.

Currently, Leon Electric is housed in a drab, one-story building. The site has long been seen as being ?underutilized?, especially now that the area has so many condo and apartment developments including Wilkes Passage and Rollins Square (and the grand-daddy of them all, Laconia Lofts).

Many people, including many neighbors, would be happy to see the project go forward, especially if more retail is added; currently, there?s a pizza shop and hair salon on the Washington Street side but I could see them adding retail on the back side, on Harrison Ave, too.

If the rumor of the 100-feet height is true, that could be a major sticking point. It?s my understanding that there is a 65-foot height limit for buildings in that area. People may dislike taller buildings for aesthetic reasons, as well as the popular ?I didn?t get to do it, why should you?? sentiment.

Another issue that is bound to come up is: what about parking? Presumably, there will have to be a parking garage built; every other building has it. Will there be extra parking for sale or lease to other residents of the neighborhood?

There has also been talk of moving Perry Street, one of the four bordering streets, back a block, closer to Laconia Lofts. This would allow the developer to have a larger, contiguous piece of land on which to build. Laconia neighbors might like this (rather than having a building just feet from theirs) but might dislike it (who wants to have their outdoor space facing traffic?). I?d be happy if the developer just made a contribution to the city and they got rid of the street completely. There are plenty of other roads. I?ve walked Perry Street many times and I?ve always been the only one. Cars barely use it and only when looking for parking. (People use the street to get to parking behind the Red Fez but the rumor is that the restaurant will close and be torn down.)

Owners of condos at 485-495 Harrison Ave are sure to be grumpy about losing their unobstructed views of the South End and Back Bay, but they should have assumed something would someday be built on the Leon site. I was showing a condo there to a buyer client of mine back when it first became condos and the sales team said this right up front; ?Someday, that will all go away,? was the way the agent phrased it, making it clear a building might be built.

Once the new building is built, owners facing Washington Street will have great views of Peters Park, right across the street. Those views will probably never go away.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/news/getting_real/?p=366

Ooo I like that modern one. Why can they build that here but they build shit so many other places (i.e. SBW)?

old Uncl saying OH SO CLOSE to JJJFoley so GOOD neighbood!!!!

My g8 Unkel saeing O i Hoep IT don't RUEN JJJ's W. dIs yUppy deVeLopeMent Ids enCroaCHiNG!!!

Ooo I like that modern one. Why can they build that here but they build shit so many other places (i.e. SBW)?

I lived in that building briefly and I can say looks can be deceiving. Chintzy construction. The walls between units aren't properly soundproofed. So when a new owner of a single bedroom unit bought from the developer converts it to a three bedroom unit (with developer-acting-as-condo trustee approval) in order to rent it to college kids and the kids blast music at 3AM on weeknights, the next door neighbors can hear it through the bedroom wall that backs up to the students' unit and wake up. The floor plates don't have drains and aren't properly sealed, so when a toilet overflows upstairs, the water flows through and destroys the ceiling of the bathroom in the unit below. Not to mention inadequare insulation between the garage and adjoining units.. I think that there are plans in the works to resolve these problems though..

Does the silver line have the new enhanced shelters yet?

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2011/01/40-berkeley-sold-for-85m.html

The Boston YWCA?s 40 Berkeley St. in Boston?s South End has been sold for $ 8.5 million to a nonprofit and a team of buyers interested in preserving its affordable rooms and upgrading its hostel and dormitory capabilities.

Project Place, which provides services to building residents and other South Enders, purchased the property along with Georgia Murray and Mark Maloney, principals of property manager Maloney Properties Inc.
The city of Boston assisted with the logistics of the acquisition of the 75,000-square-foot property.

?The new ownership of 40 Berkeley represents the best opportunity to stabilize this important property and to upgrade it in keeping with the city?s and the neighborhood?s best interests,? said Mayor Thomas M. Menino, in a statement.

Suzanne Kenney, executive director of Project Place, provider of services at 40 Berkeley through Betty?s Place, a residential program for women in transition, said, ?Our program has done very well at 40 Berkeley, so we sought to preserve it by becoming a member of the new ownership team.?

Mark Maloney who is also the president of Boston World Partnerships, a nonprofit organization that serves Greater Boston by increasing economic development opportunities globally, explained, ?My wife, Georgia Murray, and I hope that 40 Berkeley will continue to grow as a meeting place for the international community and that it will serve as a center for discussion and stimulation of Boston?s diverse, innovation economy.?

Back