Looked the same a month later, 3/13

IMG_8889.jpg

IMG_8891.jpg

IMG_8892.jpg

Bonus:
IMG_8886.jpg

Demolition Imminent for Unstable Washington Street Building
by Alix Roy, South End Patch

The Church of Scientology has hired a demolition contractor to take down the historic Ivory Bean building.

A historic Washington Street building owned by the Church of Scientology is expected to be demolished next week after bricks fell from the structure last month, prompting the city to cordon off the area in the interest of public safety.

According to Attorney Marc LaCasse, the Church has hired a demolition contractor and is expecting work to begin within a week?s time. A demolition permit application was pending with the city?s Inspectional Services Department as of Wednesday, LaCasse said via email.

The former Ivory Bean building, located at 1769 Washington Street, was cordoned off in early February after a neighbor reported bricks falling from the fa?ade. Firefighters warned that the wall was in danger of ?imminent collapse,? and a structural engineer was called in to evaluate the property.

The city had previously notified the church of the building's condition, according to Paul Bradford, the Church?s Legal Administrator. But efforts to demolish the building sooner were delayed by the South End Landmarks District Commission, which reviews exterior renovations that take place within the neighborhood's historic district.

?The Church was specifically ordered not to demolish the building,? LaCasse said last month, referred to the Commission?s decision dated April 6, 2010.

In a second decision, which came after the Church submitted a report from a structural engineer, the Commission modified its stance and ordered that as much of the fa?ade as possible be preserved and ?some salvaged brick?be reused.?

With the building in such poor shape, LaCasse acknowledged the difficulty of preservation. A street-level storefront below the brick wall has been boarded up to cover what is probably a gaping hole in the building, he said. The rear of the structure is also caving in due to the weight of abandoned machines.

?There?s a whole lot of neglect and abuse that happened to that building over the years,? he said.

http://southend.patch.com/articles/demolishion-immenent-for-unstable-washington-street-building

Even if it has to be disassembled brick by brick and rebuilt, that adjoining building facade should be saved. I also blame the cult for failing to remove abandoned equipment and properly securing the structure from the elements. Relieving weight off structural features and tarping the roof, perhaps with some sump pumps in the basement could have worked wonders.

That would be a pretty ugly hole left behind were this to be demolished.

I don't know of any new theatre being built in the South End -- where exactly is this?

What does the blue sign say at the bottom left corner of the photo? I see the word 'Sanctuary' so I wonder if it's going to be a church.

Congregacion Leon de Juda
A proposal to construct a four story building to house a sanctuary, classrooms and offices with 17 enclosed parking spaces.

Ron, don't you remember when the NOI had foot soldiers (oh SORRY I meant MINISTERS :rolleyes:) trying to "preserve the neighborhood" years ago? The gays were a big part of the first gentrification wave in the South End and, being typically pasty white affluent guys, they weren't too popular with the NOI elements.

South End News: Commission raises glass to new design

viewimage_story.php

New Hope Baptist Church could be home to unique development

The New Hope Baptist church congregation will vote on July 10 on whether they want to sell their property to developer Michael Minkoff. If they choose, as expected, to approve the sale, the South End will soon see one of the most unique properties pop up on Tremont St.: a property with a glass roof.

At the South End Landmarks District Commission (SELDC) meeting Tuesday night, architect Gary Hendren presented the third plan for the church that included three, two-story, 2,000-square-foot units and one 8,000-plus-square-foot unit, complete with a glass ceiling. more?

022-15.jpg

I see the "early 2011" silver line station and asphalt redo is way behind schedule.

Last edited:
Jass, can you refresh our memories? What was the reason again they are doing this? The shelter further down the street near 1621 Washington is gone and the relocated the stop, temporarily. If memory serves, this will be the third shelter in five years. Didn't they move the stop a couple buildings down to please a building owner?

What can we put here? Live theater? (If you can remove ceiling / floor between two storeys? This is approximately 876 Tremont Street, near corner of People's Baptist Place.

tremont_st.jpg

Jass, can you refresh our memories? What was the reason again they are doing this? The shelter further down the street near 1621 Washington is gone and the relocated the stop, temporarily. If memory serves, this will be the third shelter in five years. Didn't they move the stop a couple buildings down to please a building owner?

Redo the asphalt for a smoother ride.
Paint it red to increase compliance
Shelters to become actual shelters for winter (glass walls)
Heaters added

They got fed bucks

Oh, for those of you who didn't click through on the New Hope church renovation, it's kind of interesting. It's a large building and there was a fight brewing over rehabbing it into residential space. Very hard to turn into condos given the designs of churches.

So, the developer decided to cut down the number of units (from 8 to 4 if memory serves), with one being 8,000 SF and the other three 2,000 SF. He's taking the big condo/apartment (which will be the entire church part) for himself.

I noticed this as I was driving down Melnea Cass:

6041869169_aaefcd1323_b.jpg

6041869591_56bd1961b5_b.jpg

And here's a set of Guy Grassi's house on Clarendon:

6041874577_41588e2cb8_b.jpg

6041876687_46e730798a_b.jpg

6041876015_8aa4ff4b15_b.jpg

6041877447_e9dbd54669_b.jpg

Back