South End Infill and Small Developments

Yayyy Chevron!

11920854395_b17b83eba7_b.jpg

11921298134_1e95b05957_b.jpg

11921276754_e0fa6e5ddb_b.jpg

11921666126_8232b75e27_b.jpg

11921231304_5fcdba9a0c_b.jpg

If only every building were this easy on the eyes (and easy to photograph!)

Kz-- Agree wonderfull to see so much attention to detail -- at all levels

Not just at the street level or the top

^^^The "Zero" in Zero Worcester must refer to the amount of thought that went into the design of that kitchen.

a) the cabinet space is seriously lacking - limited solely to upper/hard-to-reach cabinets.
b) the stove is located without any buffer between it and circulation and/or living space??? ...looks like an accident waiting to happen.

^^^The "Zero" in Zero Worcester must refer to the amount of thought that went into the design of that kitchen.

a) the cabinet space is seriously lacking - limited solely to upper/hard-to-reach cabinets.
b) the stove is located without any buffer between it and circulation and/or living space??? ...looks like an accident waiting to happen.

It's a pretty typical Boston kitchen in terms of size and storage. I like that they had custom cabinets made that actually stretch to the ceiling to maximize space. The stove hanging off the end is pretty common too.

Absolutely. Reminds me of the kitchen that DINK friends in my condo recently installed. Maybe they make coffee in the morning but they literally have NEVER used their oven. They have high-end 6-burner Viking range/Sub-Zero refridgerator/Poggenpohl cabinetry (well...a couple cabinets to make a gesture towards storage) kitchen out of Home and Garden that is completely unworkable for anyone that really has/wants to cook. Just It's all for show/re-sale.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the two massive empty lots on either side of East Dedham between Harrison and Albany? I've always found these very strange. Have there been proposals for those parcels in the past?

My memory is hazy but at a neighborhood meeting the lawyer for the owner said they will put them up for development in the future. That was about 5 years ago. At this point they may be waiting to see what the Medical Center does with all the BU Hospital property now that they are consolidating everything into the old Boston City Hospital campus. They may also be waiting for all the property north of East Berkley Street to be developed.

-edit-

Looking further into it there may only one building for sale or lease, the Newton Pavilion.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...campuses/xuZQenOJlBlSxWVwJ1eKWO/igraphic.html

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...wo-campuses/xuZQenOJlBlSxWVwJ1eKWO/story.html

Last edited:
I'll do you the favor of reprinting that article.

Boston Flower Exchange receives $35 million bid
By Dan Adams
Boston Globe

From a sprawling industrial site at the edge of the South End, the Boston Flower Exchange has supplied generations of New Englanders with roses for Valentine’s Day, lilies for Easter, bouquets for weddings, and cut flowers for countless other occasions.

Now, the century-old wholesale supplier could fall to the wave of gentrification coursing through the neighborhood. A mysterious bidder has offered $35 million for the private company’s five-acre property, leaving vendors who have hawked flowers from inside the Albany Street warehouse for decades worried about being uprooted.

“We are now at a crossroads,” the Flower Exchange’s board of directors said in a letter to its shareholders disclosing the purchase offer. “The Exchange continues to be an important and historical part of the flower business in New England. It is currently a profitable business . . . . However, we observe that Albany Street is undergoing a real estate boom.”

The exchange is a vestige of an earlier era in Boston commerce. It was founded in 1909 by a collective of 123 growers who wanted a single location from which to sell their flowers to retailers — one of its earliest locations was in the basement of the Park Street Church. Though its power has been diminished by competition, the exchange remains an important supplier to the region, a convenient stop for florists and retail shops to stock up on everything from asters to zinnias.

“There isn’t a supermarket chain that doesn’t buy from here,” said Gerry Cupp, whose Littleton-based Cupp & Cupp Corp. has sold flowers on the floor of the exchange for 32 years. “There would definitely be issues with the supply line.”

Flower Exchange officials would not divulge who made the offer for the property or what would happen to the business if the land is sold. That has only added to the frustration of the building’s flower sellers, who complain they have been left in the dark about their own future.

“They don’t like people asking questions,” said David Brown, a shareholder and owner of Chester Brown Wholesale Florist, which has been a member of the exchange since 1933. “It’s very difficult to get information from them. We’ve never even seen the list of shareholders.”

The board is expected to ask shareholders, estimated at some 200, to vote on the buyout offer at the exchange’s annual meeting scheduled for October. A two-thirds vote is necessary to accept the offer. Shareholders include wholesalers with stalls at the warehouse, as well as descendants of the exchange’s founders, some of whom don’t do business there and know little about its operations.

Several shareholders who spoke to the Globe said they could not decide on the offer until they learn more about the bidder’s identity and plans for the property.

The exchange currently has 14 flower wholesalers who rent floor space for around $200,000 to $300,000 annually. That’s down from 22 in the mid-1990s.

The exchange is open only to retail florists and other businesses that buy flowers in volume, such as wedding designers.

There have been modest changes over time. It used to be open to the public, until 1941. In 1965, it accepted its first batch of flowers that were grown outside of New England — from New York, no less. Otherwise, the exchange operates largely as it did in its early years.

The workday begins in the middle of the night, when truckloads of flowers arrive from growers and container ports along the East Coast.

At 5 a.m., the exchange opens for business. Dozens of buyers emerge from vans bearing the logos of local florists and supermarkets and push inside, where they pick over shelves of meticulously displayed plants and rows of plastic buckets bursting with blooms of every color and variety.

By noon, the last van departs, and the exchange closes for the day.

When the exchange relocated in 1971 from its previous home in the Cyclorama building, Albany Street was an outpost of the Newmarket industrial area.

For decades, it remained untouched by the development boom that has turned the old brick-front residences in the South End’s residential areas into million-dollar town houses.

But now that trend has reached the exchange’s doorstep. Around the corner, on the site of the former Boston Herald building, the new Ink Block project will feature luxury condos and a Whole Foods supermarket.

Meanwhile, just down Albany Street from the exchange, workers in surgical scrubs and white lab coats flock to a bustling medical and research complex anchored by Boston Medical Center. The exchange’s immediate neighbor is Boston University’s controversial $200 million National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories, completed in 2008 but awaiting approval to begin full operations.

The exchange has received offers for its property in the past but never one this large.

“This has been one of the most talked-about sites in Boston,” said Frank Petz, managing director of capital markets for Jones Lang LaSalle, a real estate consultancy. “The problem has always been trying to get the shareholders to act in concert.”

The wholesalers inside the building have also struggled to maintain a cohesive front, giving the board increased power.

An earlier alliance of vendors who were fed up with high rents at the warehouse and wanted to start a breakaway exchange collapsed.

But with a new buyout offer threatening the exchange, vendors said they will have work together to find a new home.

“This time is different,” said Cupp, whose business also grows flowers. “We’ll find something, but we’ve got to stay together.”

The exchange’s board of directors declined to elaborate on the offer for the property.

“We’re currently in the midst of dealing with certain issues,” exchange president Harold W. Potter Jr. said. “We would prefer to deal with our shareholders directly.”

In the past, when the exchange received offers for its 5.6-acre parcel, so, too, would Bill Jacobson, who owns a floral supply shop next door. But the mysterious bidder who offered $35 million for the exchange’s land has yet to contact him, Jacobson said.

The land might be the exchange’s most valuable asset. Though it does not release figures on its business, vendors and shareholders acknowledge the exchange’s role in the flower industry has been diminished by competition from wholesalers that deliver directly to florists and Internet retailers.

“Fifteen or 20 years ago, closing it would have had a very strong effect,” Jacobson said. “Today, there are many, many vendors that service the floral community. I don’t think it would have a dramatically negative impact.”

Even so, it would create a significant disruption for the exchange’s employees and the retailers who depend on it.

“Three hundred people work here, and another four or five thousand jobs depend on the exchange,” said Cupp, who called on Boston officials to help wholesalers find a new home in the event of a sale.

In the meantime, shareholders said they have so far been unable to find out more information about the offer, leaving them with little else to do but to wait for the exchange’s board.

“It’s only a matter of time before this building’s going to become something else,” said Brown, of Chester Brown Wholesale florist. “All I can do is wait and see what they come up with.”

My wife, a florist, does lots of business at the flower exchange. For the people who work in the industry, it's really the nerve-center of operations. But, of course, it's a huge piece of land with a lot of unnecessary parking around it.

I'm only surprised because I figured this part of Albany Street was outside of the "hot corridor" not only because it's next door to the new infectious diseases lab (I think in SimCity that would probably be equivalent to the Federal Prison in depressing real estate value!) but also because it's truly in a rail transit dead zone. Not close to anything, not even the Newmarket CR stop.

My wife, a florist, does lots of business at the flower exchange. For the people who work in the industry, it's really the nerve-center of operations. But, of course, it's a huge piece of land with a lot of unnecessary parking around it.

I'm only surprised because I figured this part of Albany Street was outside of the "hot corridor" not only because it's next door to the new infectious diseases lab (I think in SimCity that would probably be equivalent to the Federal Prison in depressing real estate value!) but also because it's truly in a rail transit dead zone. Not close to anything, not even the Newmarket CR stop.

It could be only a couple blocks to the F Line green line if that replaced the silverline. Just sayin'

It's two blocks from the Silver Line @ Washington St. Not to mention a 5 minute walk (albeit not a particularly pleasent one) to Broadway Red Line, under 93.There's also a couple bus routes that run nearby and it's walkable to BMC and Back Bay.

I think a mixed use development here would make Albany feel more like a functioning street rather than a highway on ramp. Hopefully the Flower Exchange could find space in Newmarket Sq.

Back