South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

bdurden

Reaction score

“Renderings by Pelli Clarke Pelli show a grand new concourse for the transportation center with vaulted ceilings, recalling the great American and European trains stations from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.”

We shall see. The article uses the same ONE image of the concourse.
The rendering of the vaulted ceiling reminds me a bit of a less ornate New York City Hall subway station:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Hall_station_(IRT_Lexington_Avenue_Line)

DwnTwnr

Reaction score
REALLY hoping it will come out as nice as the renderings as it seems like it could be a let down irl
I think the real issue is how many kiosks and advertising crap the MBTA fills the space with. I always think of 30th Street in Philly--it's such a great space, wide open and you can enjoy the scale and the visual clarity of that space. The MBTA is really only interested in putting as much revenue generating stuff everywhere.

bakgwailo

Reaction score
I think the real issue is how many kiosks and advertising crap the MBTA fills the space with. I always think of 30th Street in Philly--it's such a great space, wide open and you can enjoy the scale and the visual clarity of that space. The MBTA is really only interested in putting as much revenue generating stuff everywhere.
I believe, at least at one point. South Station had the most advertising per square foot of every train station in the country. That said - still nowhere near the level of Japanese stations. I'll take all the ad revenue we can get if it gets us closer to that level of service.

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score

stellarfun

Reaction score
It can be reserved for private travel.

https://www.aaprco.com/rail-car/babbling-brook/

I had a friend who formerly owned Tamalpais, a private car, originally used as a business car for the Santa Fe railroad. Link below has photos. (Blog post is not by him and I think is by a subsequent owner.) Blogger's description of these private cars being a financial black hole is very true, as AMTRAK requires these be mechanically maintained to AMTRAK standards.
https://chasingtrains.smugmug.com/Awordaboutyoursponsor/Private-Railway-Car-Tamalpais/

Santa Fe 33, also known as the Tamalpais, is a business car, built by the Pullman Manufacturing Company in 1923 for the Atchison-Topeka Santa Fe (A.T.S.F.) Railroad. It is a heavyweight, riveted all-steel car, with a Mission Revival interior of quarter sawn white oak, built-in cabinets, trim, and paneling.

This car, [Tamalpais] also known as Business Car (BC) 33, was originally used by A.T.S.F. executives in the Los Angeles Coastal Division Office of the A.T.S.F. to conduct railroad business along their routes, to investigate derailments, collisions, track washouts, and to conduct business with shipping clients and financiers. The Business Cars were non-revenue producing cars used strictly for railroad use. The A.T.S.F. railway during the late 1880’s to the early 1920’s was a reliable, expansive transportation network serving the produce and other industries and travelers in California. During this period, business cars were a virtual necessity for railroad Operating Department officials.

BC 33 is the oldest and only non-revenue, Pullman-built BC in existence approved for Amtrak passenger service with interior and exterior restoration integrity. Its Amtrak assign number is 800233.

Last edited:

SeamusMcFly

Reaction score
I didn't take any pictures, but I gotta say, the expanded outdoor concourse is going to be a huge circulation improvement. I guess I didn't realize it think about them filling in the ends of the existing tracks nearest the existing building. Much better flow.

The fact the I see steel sticking up 20-30 feet out of the ground and columns rising is a sight for sore eyes at this location..

Just rode the train in for the first time in probably at least 10 months.

DwnTwnr

Reaction score
I believe, at least at one point. South Station had the most advertising per square foot of every train station in the country. That said - still nowhere near the level of Japanese stations. I'll take all the ad revenue we can get if it gets us closer to that level of service.
It's tough in South Station because the functionality of the space feels very compromised by all of the kiosks as so forth that the interior is littered with. I'm not sure how good the MBTA is at generating revenue from advertising--a lot of it is up for long after events advertised are over which always feels like a missed opportunity.

SeamusMcFly

Reaction score
It's tough in South Station because the functionality of the space feels very compromised by all of the kiosks as so forth that the interior is littered with. I'm not sure how good the MBTA is at generating revenue from advertising--a lot of it is up for long after events advertised are over which always feels like a missed opportunity.
They could take down the stupid free standing "new schedules" that they leave up until the schedule changes again. Limited space as it is, let's put junk in the way with readily accessible information printed in them that are available at the schedule kiosk, your phone, etc.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
It just amazes me how they’re building this while the station is still functioning and people are just walking through like nothing is even happening lol
Well, they did get a little lucky with the timing during the pandemic. They are able to do the most intrusive ground level/podium work that will cover all the platforms with traffic volumes way down on the commuter rail.

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score

fatnoah

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, I took a train out of South Station for the first time since the construction got going. The interior of the station seems so much darker now. It definitely started to give me a Penn Station vibe.