South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I believe, at least at one point. South Station had the most advertising per square foot of every train station in the country. That said - still nowhere near the level of Japanese stations. I'll take all the ad revenue we can get if it gets us closer to that level of service.

It's tough in South Station because the functionality of the space feels very compromised by all of the kiosks as so forth that the interior is littered with. I'm not sure how good the MBTA is at generating revenue from advertising--a lot of it is up for long after events advertised are over which always feels like a missed opportunity.

It's tough in South Station because the functionality of the space feels very compromised by all of the kiosks as so forth that the interior is littered with. I'm not sure how good the MBTA is at generating revenue from advertising--a lot of it is up for long after events advertised are over which always feels like a missed opportunity.
They could take down the stupid free standing "new schedules" that they leave up until the schedule changes again. Limited space as it is, let's put junk in the way with readily accessible information printed in them that are available at the schedule kiosk, your phone, etc.

DFA6FB24-9DFC-4D21-900D-F836386D91FB.jpeg
EC08F4D7-602F-4550-A598-8F90339533D1.jpeg
B4FEBCCA-6F1B-4B3A-AB5E-B8657BA1C871.jpeg
E4CF4AF3-A953-420A-9A94-6A13D00347F8.jpeg
D40F9F5A-B24B-40D8-9ED2-D3CD859E2800.jpeg

It just amazes me how they’re building this while the station is still functioning and people are just walking through like nothing is even happening lol
Well, they did get a little lucky with the timing during the pandemic. They are able to do the most intrusive ground level/podium work that will cover all the platforms with traffic volumes way down on the commuter rail.

A couple weeks ago, I took a train out of South Station for the first time since the construction got going. The interior of the station seems so much darker now. It definitely started to give me a Penn Station vibe.

A couple weeks ago, I took a train out of South Station for the first time since the construction got going. The interior of the station seems so much darker now. It definitely started to give me a Penn Station vibe.

Come to think of it...Penn Station is quite dark - considerably more so than Grand Central Terminal. It fits perfectly with NYC's grimy reputation haha.

I took a train to South Station last week for the first time in a few years. I was expecting proto-NYP, but was pleasantly surprised by a few things. First, the beam height above the platforms is really quite high, so I think the walk along the platforms will actually seem more open than now, given the low height of the canopies. Second, the concourse extension at the end of the platforms, that will be under the high vaulted ceiling, is significant. I suspect the end result will be quite open and airy, and aesthetically pleasing.

I took a train to South Station last week for the first time in a few years. I was expecting proto-NYP, but was pleasantly surprised by a few things. First, the beam height above the platforms is really quite high, so I think the walk along the platforms will actually seem more open than now, given the low height of the canopies. Second, the concourse extension at the end of the platforms, that will be under the high vaulted ceiling, is significant. I suspect the end result will be quite open and airy, and aesthetically pleasing.

And hopefully not as blustery in the winter. Let's be honest, nobody is waiting on South Station platforms for the view inside the station... You're running to a train, or rushing to get out of the crowd.

Edit: The waiting area will remain customer-centric, and the new archways will add to the allure. The platforms? I'm happy they are now out of the elements.

Last edited:
And hopefully not as blustery in the winter. Let's be honest, nobody is waiting at South Station for the view inside the station... You're running to a train, or rushing to get out of the crowd.

It's never going to be the destination that Washington Union, Kansas City Union, or Grand Central, but it's Boston's premier railroad station and not everyone is sprinting to catch a train (try getting a seat around rush hour). Like any transit hub, it's important to have facilities for the people who are spending significant chunks of time waiting for their trains. South Station has a lovely exterior and some good bones. Making the concourse a bit less claustrophobic, increasing the amount of light coming in, and improving seating and dining options will go a long way toward improving the experience. Taking advantage of the historic structure to improve the visual appearance adds even more to the experience. Boston deserves a better gateway.

Back