South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I understand the height restrictions because of Logan, but with the crane being upwards of 850’, why couldn’t this have been 759’ like originally concepted? Sorry I just wanted the original spire rooftop and another 700 plus in my lifetime. It looks like my haircuts as a kid, buzzcut..

+1. Pretty much what I was arguing with the crewcut fans around posts #4,250-4,261. The crane proved a spire would have been fine. There were no FAA problems during construction and no flight paths were diverted.

Always brings to mind John Lennon's quote in the 1971 Rolling Stone interview about how when they first came over Americans really weren't all that more fashionable than Europeans in 1964 with their "Boston crew cuts and stuff on your teeth." Boston had always been a behind the times joke to many. It's definitely not as lost and parochial as in the last century and has become far more stylish, but there are still those vestiges........

There should have been spires at both North and South Stations - - stylistically but also practical for announcing mode of place. It would have been both dramatic and beautiful for the skyline too.

Last edited:

South Station Tower Debuts Large-Scale Public Art Installation by Local Artist Allen Chamberland​

“Hines, the global real estate investment manager, and ArtLifting, an art consulting agency championing artists impacted by disabilities and housing insecurity, have partnered on a large-scale temporary public art installation at South Station Tower. The major mixed-use project, developed by Hines, has unveiled a nearly 6,500 square foot reproduction of Emerald Tree by Boston-based artist, Allen Chamberland; one of the largest public art installations currently in Boston. It is now on display at the building along Atlantic Avenue……..”

1727811865171.jpeg

https://www.bldup.com/posts/south-s...nstallation-by-local-artist-allen-chamberland

Back