South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

^whighlander

Those documents are surprisingly recent. Maybe the project is moving quietly forward.

Progress on this tower project may dovetail with the recent rumor that USPS was closing on a deal for their Dot Ave parcel in order to allow for So. Station expansion.

Wasn't Tufts University originally planning to build the South Station tower? I'm not sure why, as this is not especially close to their medical campus.
Tufts had/(still has?) a stake. IIRC, some of the space in the tower would be devoted to health-related activities, but there was never much specificity.

Tufts had/(still has?) a stake. IIRC, some of the space in the tower would be devoted to health-related activities, but there was never much specificity.

Stel -- Tufts was planning the South Station complex -- not just the tower, but midrise structures and potentially south into the interchange parcel as their version of Kendall Sq. or perhaps Haaavd's Alston campus

Could be two kids humping their dog.

If you check middle right foreground that is one pleased dog (i.e. that tail is as high as an elephanst's eye) who is leaving the scene with his human minder

I think it might have been a dog humpin the kids and the other dogs

Anyone else notice the person walking a dog who has a prosthetic running leg?

Or the person walking towards the Acela with Moon Shoes on?

Or the biker flipping off drivers?

Or the second shooter on the grassy knoll.

And Waldo back there too.

Or the second shooter on the grassy knoll.

And Waldo back there too.

I think I spotted Mayor Curley's Desk and the Pope's Crosier under the desk with Ray Flynn's fingerprints on it with Kevin White's giant heal prints in the soft mud adjacenent to the base of the knoll -- "Or the person walking towards the Acela with Moon Shoes on?" -- perhaps Kevin Mayor of the Shhhhhhhty White?

Last edited:

Or the biker flipping off drivers?

Ahaha. And I just noticed they used that biker three times. One time they just flipped it so he's going the other direction. Maybe it's a Critical Mass event?

And there I was thinking it was some secret bicyclists' equivalent of a Masonic handshake.

But I just noticed that the poor dog being abused is a BASSET HOUND!!!!

I will set aside the trauma inflicted by this beastly depiction to note that I do like the canopy, but that if it is going to be a serious shelter, they ought to put in some horizontal glass by the platforms to stop the cross wind.

And there I was thinking it was some secret bicyclists' equivalent of a Masonic handshake.

But I just noticed that the poor dog being abused is a BASSET HOUND!!!!

I will set aside the trauma inflicted by this beastly depiction to note that I do like the canopy, but that if it is going to be a serious shelter, they ought to put in some horizontal glass by the platforms to stop the cross wind.

You can't do that. People like NMW will complain that you won't be giving any of the passengers, especially the tourists, the full experience of a New England winter. Plus, the installation of a horizontal glass wall will restrict access, especially for the handicapped customers.

You can't do that. People like NMW will complain that you won't be giving any of the passengers, especially the tourists, the full experience of a New England winter. Plus, the installation of a horizontal glass wall will restrict access, especially for the handicapped customers.

Don't forget the shadows -- since the glass is not totally transparent -- it wll cast shadows -- conceivably even onto the Fort Point Channel - - thereby impeding the photosynthesis of the algae

Don't forget the shadows -- since the glass is not totally transparent -- it wll cast shadows -- conceivably even onto the Fort Point Channel - - thereby impeding the photosynthesis of the algae

Not to mention, with the opening of the kayak launch, the Channel is now a major recreational area in a city that's losing park land to developer encroachment at an alarming rate. If these shadows are allowed, it will ruin the last remaining section of city that hasn't been land-filled.

Just because I like chiming in whenever NIMBY mythology has to creep into every pro-development agenda...

The trajectory of the sun with respect to the location of South Station would suggest shadows will not play a huge factor in Fort Point Channel watersheet activity. It's a moot point anyhow since the height has pretty much been approved through state regs.

Secondly, I'm not aware of any bloc of residents in Fort Point or Leather District who weighed in negatively to the tower as it was proposed a few years ago.

Fire away, myth-makers.

Back