South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

With all these buildings/skyscrapers being built are we going to see a GLUT of Commercial Space in this city in the future?

Is the demand here for this type of supply coming on the market for commercial space? Can this be absorbed without crashing the rents per sqft.

In the end: Wonder which developer will be caught holding an empty bag.
Congress/SST/Tommy'sTower: Are my choices at this point if the process starts to roll.

This economic cycle was not natural that is what has me worried.

In the end: Wonder which developer will be caught holding an empty bag.
Congress/SST/Tommy'sTower: Are my choices at this point if the process starts to roll.

This economic cycle was not natural that is what has me worried.

this.

Hines is known for jumping ship (See the original DTX Tower).

Thank God he did not build the original proposal. It SUCKED.

Different Hynes (it's even spelled differently), and that Hynes didn't jump ship, his money partner Vornado out of NYC did.

Different Hynes (it's even spelled differently), and that Hynes didn't jump ship, his money partner Vornado out of NYC did.

Thanks I actually did not know that. I forgot Vornado basically fired Hynes or their partnership Dissolved.

Boston was fortunate on that development. We got a much better result.

I am still in shock that we are discussing this as a project that is moving forward. I thought the Copley tower would come before this one.

I think everyone thought that this one really came out of nowhere and seems to have a lot of momentum.

I think everyone thought that this one really came out of nowhere and seems to have a lot of momentum.

I think we are seeing what motivated investors (the Chinese) can do to jump start a project. Got to park those RMB in some hard offshore assets -- and soon.

FMC Tower

fmc_011.jpg

Interesting thing about FMC: The bottom half is steel and the top is concrete. First time I'd seen that.

Interesting thing about FMC: The bottom half is steel and the top is concrete. First time I'd seen that.

Odd but not unprecedented. IIRC, The Shard is steel, then concrete, then steel again.

Last edited:

I giggled for a split second when I first saw the new rendering. It wasn't because of the design itself, but rather that I was so used to looking at a single rendering for 12 years. Now that I have pushed the previous rendering out of my head, I can say I like the new version.

I think we are seeing what motivated investors (the Chinese) can do to jump start a project. Got to park those RMB in some hard offshore assets -- and soon.

Jeff -- Curbed has a story today with some interesting details and a close-up of the bottom of the building where it interfaces with the South Station Head House [visually] -- apparently derived from the previously published render

South Station Tower: Now With More Condos, Less Parking

Construction could start before the end of the year
BY TOM ACITELLI @TOMACITELLI MAY 16, 2016, 10:00A
Last week's signoff also produced some new details about the would-be spire. It's now slated to rise to 51 stories rather than 49, and would have 175 condos on its upper floors rather than 155. The number of parking spaces has shrunk, too, from 755 to 530 (that makes sense: residents would be living above New England's busiest train station)....

Even before the alterations, the South Station tower was destined to be one of the 10 tallest in Boston. Hines hopes to start construction before the end of 2016. Stay tuned.

looking at the Hines website there are some discrepancies with the Tom Acitelli story
no 51 stories -- 49 and 2017 to start construction

if Tom Acitelli is on target then it looks as if the Chinese are really in a hurry to purchase some hard assets :rolleyes:

Jeff -- Curbed has a story today with some interesting details and a close-up of the bottom of the building where it interfaces with the South Station Head House [visually] -- apparently derived from the previously published render

Looks as if the Chinese are really in a hurry to purchase some hard assets

So long as they do not interfere and create a debacle like they did at Baha Mar in the Bahamas, it should be good to go.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...baha-mar-how-a-3-5-billion-paradise-went-bust

There are a few people that would have that view -- it is the view from the 10th floor of the Greenway side of the Keystone Building, 99 High Street.

I have that (nearly) exact view: between floors 20 and 24 in the Keystone Building. If this gets underway, I assure you I will document it well!

I giggled for a split second when I first saw the new rendering. It wasn't because of the design itself, but rather that I was so used to looking at a single rendering for 12 years. Now that I have pushed the previous rendering out of my head, I can say I like the new version.

I do appreciate that the new cross-section nicely mimics the shape of the south station building, but I find it incredibly awkward how abruptly it narrows near the top. Looking forward to seeing more renderings.

Skyrise -- I guess I would quibble with the discussion of South Station and the term expansion

Since you mentioned the 1898 date you need to let people know that in the early 1900's it was the busiest and largest railroad station [busiest in the world and largest in the US] with all the many track platforms under a massive glass roof.*1 However, unless you mention that it was redone in the 1920's to remove the train shed. After WWII with the decline of the passenger railroads, South Station was substantially demolished in the 1960's. This has to be part of the story or else looking at it as it is today wont make any sense with its previous passenger numbers, train numbers, etc.

While it was already the largest, South Station quickly became the busiest train station in the world, handling about 38 million passengers in 1913, ranking higher than its second nearest competitor, Boston’s North Station, which handled 29 million and New York’s Grand Central Station, which handled 22 million that same year.
http://www.south-station.net/station-history/

Now with the passing of that the first flush of surprise, I'm left with a hangover. Thought the new rendering seems less clumsy than the old one, man is it boring for such a really cool, highly visible spot.

Back