South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

Now with the passing of that the first flush of surprise, I'm left with a hangover. Thought the new rendering seems less clumsy than the old one, man is it boring for such a really cool, highly visible spot.

Badly needs an iconic spire......as does, ironically, the office building planned for North Station.

Would be a nice symetry if the towers at both North and South Stations had matching and strikingly visible spires with beacon lights. There might even be some creative interplay between the two transportation centers in that respect.

I knew the shape of this proposal looked familiar.

South-Station-rendering_NEW_2016.jpg

nutri-ninja-pro-900w-blender-bl451-simaro-D_NQ_NP_503621-MCO20814137987_072016-O.jpg

Who wants a kale smoothie?

Last edited:

I'm uneasy abou the fact that this is apparently moving forward without there being a comprehensive masterplan for the future of south station in place. A tower on top of the tracks is nice; a tower as part of an integrated station redevelopment and redesign is even nicer.

I agree. This seems like a RUSH RUSH project. Did this ever project go through anytype of Process?
Stamp of Approval across the board.

I think there will need to be a NPC & BRA approval (of the NPC) for this since the program was changed (residential added).

I agree. This seems like a RUSH RUSH project. Did this ever project go through anytype of Process?
Stamp of Approval across the board.

Really? This thread started in 2006.

From the very 1st post:

The development partners filed an environmental impact report with the state and the final project impact report with the Boston Redevelopment Authority. The final reports respond to issues raised by the state and city in permits filed in 2000 and 2002.

TUDC selected Hines to be its co-developer in October 1997 and later selected Cesar Pelli & Associates Inc. of New Haven, Conn. as the design architect.

Really? This thread started in 2006.

From the very 1st post:

The development partners filed an environmental impact report with the state and the final project impact report with the Boston Redevelopment Authority. The final reports respond to issues raised by the state and city in permits filed in 2000 and 2002.

TUDC selected Hines to be its co-developer in October 1997 and later selected Cesar Pelli & Associates Inc. of New Haven, Conn. as the design architect.

Good point. Maybe it feels rushed because they just revived it from the dead.

I'm uneasy abou the fact that this is apparently moving forward without there being a comprehensive masterplan for the future of south station in place. A tower on top of the tracks is nice; a tower as part of an integrated station redevelopment and redesign is even nicer.

I dunno. The 3 alternatives for South Station Expansion all show a program for the post office site as a plan. The SSX has some renders of a possible headhouse and as I recall, they include the tower.

EDIT: add link - http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/25/Docs/Presentation_DEIR201411.pdf

Badly needs an iconic spire......as does, ironically, the office building planned for North Station.

Would be a nice symetry if the towers at both North and South Stations had matching and strikingly visible spires with beacon lights. There might even be some creative interplay between the two transportation centers in that respect.

I'm not going to take the spire bate, but one of the coolest large scale artworks i have ever seen is like something you are describing. Yvette Matter's Spectral Ascending was a short term installation in Pittsburgh where a rainbow of lasers was shot off of PPG Place and reflected off the fountain in Point State Park. On some night from certain locations, the reflection looked like white light. it was amazing.

Screen%20Shot%202013-06-11%20at%2011_49_44%20AM.png

portfolio_spectralascending_gal2.jpg

I'm not going to take the spire bate, but one of the coolest large scale artworks i have ever seen is like something you are describing. Yvette Matter's Spectral Ascending was a short term installation in Pittsburgh where a rainbow of lasers was shot off of PPG Place and reflected off the fountain in Point State Park. On some night from certain locations, the reflection looked like white light. it was amazing.

Screen%20Shot%202013-06-11%20at%2011_49_44%20AM.png

portfolio_spectralascending_gal2.jpg

I like.

Boston could use some spires. Too many conservative crew cuts.

Bookended beacons at the North and South Stations would be a nice addition.

When height is governed by hard FAA caps (such at the South Station Tower) spires become completely infeasible.

An artist did something very similar at BU in 2013. A laser connected the law building and the Stuvi 2 dorm for 4 nights. It was pretty cool.

t_florianult.jpg

http://www.bu.edu/today/2013/art-installation-to-light-up-boston-skyline/

When height is governed by hard FAA caps (such at the South Station Tower) spires become completely infeasible.

It's a 49 story building. Across the street in one direction is a 614 footer (Fed Reserve) and across the street in another direction is a 590 footer (One Financial Ctr) and a 600 footer (IP). It's arguably the most vertical 30 acres in the city.

The FAA hasn't been too harsh with that neighborhood.

Last edited:

I was thinking today that it would be kind of cool if maybe the Pru had a beam of light going straight up off of the spire like 1wtc was supposed to. Would kind of make up for lack of height being able to see the beam from many far away places in the state. I know it wont happen for a few reasons, but it would be cool if it could.

I dunno. The 3 alternatives for South Station Expansion all show a program for the post office site as a plan. The SSX has some renders of a possible headhouse and as I recall, they include the tower.

EDIT: add link - http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/25/Docs/Presentation_DEIR201411.pdf

This air rights build was pre-provisioned way back in 1989 when the station renovation started, and kicked around as a concept way back in '78 when the BRA sold the station to the T with a clause in the sale contract retaining lifetime air rights. Every proposal and master plan kicked around for the last 35 years for anything on-site, adjacent to, or expanding-upon SS has provisioned for this. Legally, it's been a mandatory condition this whole time for pitching any transit or redev proposals that touch the parcel. Legally, provision for future air rights revenues were a necessity for sealing the deal that secured federal money for restoration of the historic station building and permanently ending any threats from a wrecking ball.

We don't have to worry about whether they're going to dot all their i's to make SSX compatible with a tower. SSX legally could never have been proposed, much less have its design kick-off federally funded 6 years ago, unless it were 1000% design-compatible with an air rights tower. Read nothing into the various glass headhouse concepts circulated by the feasibility study, because those are just study concepts begetting more study concepts. The only thing that had real engineering money spent was the track + platform schematic, which is set in stone by available geometry: +7 tracks, +4 island platforms. No more, no less, fixed costs for the on-the-ground construction, no consequential design changes that could ever pinch a penny saved if they get in a jam. And all of it must be able to interface with a future air rights tower. All of their budgetary fallback positions for SSX cost-cutting involve punting the aesthetic niceties on-top to TBD's, not changing a thing at track level.

It's just...exactly as with the Pike air rights...no planning body in their most pessimistic imagination thought it was going to take 4 frickin' decades to get a decking redev proposal that had so much as a shade more substance behind it than a quickly-dissipating vaporware fart. They thought they'd be topping off a spire in 1993, not 2021. And that the tower would be the catalyst that got USPS to move and pave the way for that track expansion...not public money needing to go it alone kick-starting that process from complete inertia of rest.

If you want a grand train station entrance sooner than later serving the new Dot Ave. side, this development is the most timely thing imaginable for priming that pump. We know what we're getting on the transit side for SSX; that's locked-and-loaded the second USPS can be dealt with and the base costs funded. If the headhouse concept has to be radically reconceptualized because some big-pocketed developers are now fronting money for a design that suits their tower, fronting money for the interface that suits the (also yet-to-be conceptualized) row of Dot Ave. buildings, and fronting money to help create a public boating interface with the Channel that fuels their real estate's value...then throw those feasibility study glass edifices in the trash and radically reconceptualize the whole fucker. We get something grander, sooner, and less-costly that way. All the basic functionality of the expanded station and all the air rights provisions are long-settled issues nobody has to pay any mind. This is purely about what architectural chops the developers and BRA are floating, and how committed they are to staying out of their own way to get it done right. Nothing's going to get outright harmed if the results moderately disappoint; the intrigue is all about how close-to-target they can nail this once-a-century opportunity to do something truly great.

So is USPS definitely moving?

Nobody really knows the answer to that question at this time. It definitely will at some point, when that is we can only speculate. There is no plan in place at the moment for them to move, but its universally accepted that at some point they will. Hopefully soon, if I had to guess I would say within 10-15 years, but who really knows. Theres always that small chance that they say screw you and stay put, but Boston will eventually work out a deal to get them to relocate for the betterment of the area/city.

The first one similar to the Empire State Building Concept should have been BUILT in this location.

I find it very interesting on how the Commonwealth/BRA listens to these corporations concerning the architecture of the these skyscrapers that determine Boston skyline for about 100Years.

Especially them not really being a local group.

Back