South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

Looks like the last render has been spending some time in the gym lifting weights.

I like it. I definitely want to see more angles. But it's not a total "turd."

Looks like a catsup bottle. Hines? the irony.

It looks like two different elliptical alignments. The upper section, looks to be about 20 floors, and is offset (NW/SE) to the central axis (N/S) of the office portion.

Hi-res render:

South-Station-rendering_NEW_2016.jpg

Kind of awkward looking. It would make for a more graceful tower if it also stepped back down lower before the higher setback. I suspect this will undergo some significant revisions with BCDC and BRA design staff input before final approval. Nonetheless, I'm pleased to see this moving forward.

From the Hines press release:
The first phase of this transformational project will include the tallest building in Boston’s financial district and fourth-tallest building in Massachusetts.
Based on this, the building's height to the structural top will exceed Millenium Tower's height of 685 feet.

It looks a little better in the high-res render, But I still don't like it (from this angle). The setback could be either higher or lower and look better. As of right now, it really looks awkward.

I also love how pleasant the rendering makes the space in front of the Fed look. Inviting even.

From the Hines press release:

Based on this, the building's height to the structural top will exceed Millennium Tower's height of 685 feet.

Easily, I should think: it is described as being 677' and those descriptor heights never include the mechanicals and additional stuff. I'm guessing SST's 677' is its equivalent to Millennium's original 625'.

This design looks ok, like a good start. I like that there's a curved portion that plays off the South Station façade curve. I hope they can improve on it, because I don't think it's great yet, and one would hope for greatness here, or as close to greatness as one could get. We like to bandy around the word "iconic" a lot, but South Station actually is.

Something about that render feels slightly off. I'm referring not to the design, but the actual render. I feel like they mismatched the scaling of the new tower by some small amount off of the scaling on the rest of the buildings. I don't know enough about the software in use to know whether one could make a subtle mistake like that (I'm sure one could make a massive mistake, like one can with any software, but you'd see that right away). I can't quite put my finger on it, and maybe I've just had too many cups of strong green tea today.

I also love how pleasant the rendering makes the space in front of the Fed look. Inviting even.

Ha, I hadn't noticed it, but yeah, they airbrushed a bunch of bollards right out of existence. Don't let ISIS figure out how to do that for real.

Something about that render feels slightly off. I'm referring not to the design, but the actual render. I feel like they mismatched the scaling of the new tower by some small amount off of the scaling on the rest of the buildings. I don't know enough about the software in use to know whether one could make a subtle mistake like that (I'm sure one could make a massive mistake, like one can with any software, but you'd see that right away). I can't quite put my finger on it, and maybe I've just had too many cups of strong green tea today.

I know that this is somewhat tangential to SST, but I'm going to postulate that the problem with the render is with the Federal Reserve. Not only does the plaza not look like that-- it's more pavers, fewer trees, and all raised up in planters-- but the footbridge suspended near the base-- the funny looking box-- is wider than it appears in real life.

Liked the previous version much better. Looks like a giant pez dispenser and the proportions are just weird. Hope this gets molded into something better.

For comparison's sake:

Previous Render:
south-station-rendering_hres_web.jpg

Latest Render:
South-Station-rendering_NEW_2016.jpg

I definitely like the new one more. It feels much more modern.

I know that this is somewhat tangential to SST, but I'm going to postulate that the problem with the render is with the Federal Reserve. Not only does the plaza not look like that-- it's more pavers, fewer trees, and all raised up in planters-- but the footbridge suspended near the base-- the funny looking box-- is wider than it appears in real life.
Could that be an image of the Federal Reserve Plaza before they reconstructed it several years ago? The original tower was designed before the plaza was redone and they may have grafted theirv rendering bonto the old image.

I'm curious about two things, and this render doesn't show them at all. First, how much does the central section extrude toward Dewey Square from the wings? If it doesn't do that enough, the setbacks will be lost from the ground, and the whole thing will just look like an out-of-proportion blob. Second, it looks like the Harbor view should be improved in this version, but I'd like to see some proof of that. The prior tower was pretty from the front and depressing from the side. Wider setbacks will help, but it needed a LOT of help.

Oh, and stop lying - you won't be putting any trees on those setbacks. Can the BCDC decree that it just won't consider renders with that dumb gimmick, please?

A little uneasy about this one...wonder how fat it will look from the seaport.

Def need more renders

A little uneasy about this one...wonder how fat it will look from the seaport.

Def need more renders

I don't love the new design as much...I feel like they took the old one and fed it a bunch of junk food and it grew love handles...

Back