South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Looking at the link text and images it seems as if the construction schedule established in January is mostly being followed
They can probably make-up some of the work which was delayed by doing some day work since the human and vehicular traffic is reduced considerably

The Developer will design and construct a new Silver Line drop-off along the west side of
Atlantic Avenue at One Financial Center as a relocation of the current drop-off area along
Essex Street. The Developer's commitment to the design and construction of the relocated
drop-off area shall not exceed $250,000. In the event that the Developer determines that the
design and construction of the relocated drop-off area will exceed $250,000, or if this
improvement is not approved by relevant agencies, the Developer will so notify BTD and BTD ·.
may request that the Developer complete an alternative mitigation measure(s) of equivalent
cost.

The SL is northbound on that block, and does not have left-side doors. Are they going to build a boarding island?

Slightly blurry pic, but my office has a pretty good aerial of the project. They've been digging quite a bit this week.

IMG_20200721_095054.jpg

I'm still getting my head wrapped around the fact that this fantastic project is moving forward.

Yeah can't wait for another amorphous hunk of glass....
XBD544N53ZHRJJECEBDBZYKTF4.jpeg

I kid a bit. It has adequate proportions. At least something is going up at all...
I'm surprised how demand for office space hasn't gone in full reverse by now.

Yeah can't wait for another amorphous hunk of glass....
View attachment 6369
I kid a bit. It has adequate proportions. At least something is going up at all...
I'm surprised how demand for office space hasn't gone in full reverse by now.

I think it’s funny that people think they’ll never have to be in office ever again.

I think it’s funny that people think they’ll never have to be in office ever again.
I think it is funny that some people haven't figured out that many people are not going back into the office, at least not full time.

The office isn't dead, but it will be massively diminished. The corporate bean counters have figured out many jobs can effectively be done from home. Office space for sublet is going through the roof.

Orgs I work with are talking about no more than 20% return to full time office work. The remaining 80% will be dominantly WFH with perhaps a day per week in the office.

That is a HUGE shift!

You're getting way ahead of yourself with that 80/20 wfh split. Work from home has been with us on a widespread basis for 20 years. It's not new. If companies could truly save millions by converting to total wfh, don't you think they would have done so already? I also don't so how shared workstations can possibly survive post Covid.

My daughter works for a major high tech company and says pre-COVID19 they didn't allow any WFH, but now they will be allowing/mandating WFH for everyone but their lab research people and others who absolutely require on-site work. Also tbe technology for "virtual offices" is being developed further. I'd say 80% of office type work will be virtual in the near future. Also the Government is already using shared cubicles quite a bit wherein the employee comes in 1 day every 1-2 weeks.

I also predict the S Station tower will be delayed more than a couple of years due to the developing softness in the office market.

You're getting way ahead of yourself with that 80/20 wfh split. Work from home has been with us on a widespread basis for 20 years. It's not new. If companies could truly save millions by converting to total wfh, don't you think they would have done so already? I also don't so how shared workstations can possibly survive post Covid.
It is one of those "inertia" situations. WFH was the oddity until suddenly it was mandated, then it wasn't. All the bosses assumed productivity would nose dive, but it didn't. It won't be for everyone, but it will be for a lot larger fraction of the workforce than anyone envisioned in January.

Back