South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

51806801510_86a53ff4cb_b.jpg

51806191018_b58cf80a4d_b.jpg

51806190843_1f1792fc5b_b.jpg

51806801375_bff7fe6537_b.jpg

Have they VE’d the arches on the train platforms?

It's possible, but I wouldn't put money on it based on that one render. Bertaux+Iwerks only worked on the the bus station, not the platforms and tower (Pelli Clarke) though you would suspect they'd share models if they're on this level of collaboration.

I actually think that a wide open platform area would work pretty well, especially considering you would likely see the buses through the glass above the trains. It would make for an interesting juxtaposition of transit modes.

Those imbeciles designed bathrooms where the stalls arent big enough to fit your suitcase. WHEN WILL THEY LEARN. Tons of wasted space too.

It's possible, but I wouldn't put money on it based on that one render. Bertaux+Iwerks only worked on the the bus station, not the platforms and tower (Pelli Clarke) though you would suspect they'd share models if they're on this level of collaboration.
And in their rendering, the train cabs are almost crashing into the concourse. So perhaps a more figurative rather than literal depiction of the train station part.

I'm going to go out on a limb here:. This will be the nicest bus terminal in the country. I'm going to go even farther: by a long shot.
You're forgetting about the new-ish Transbay Terminal in SF. Take the SS bus terminal and replace the rooftop parking with the best parts of the Greenway and it still won't even be close. Now if you are talking about connectivity.... Boston is miles better.

South Station Bus Terminal is also functional. Transbay has a quarter-mile-long bus deck so that every single route has its own bay, which creates ridiculously long walks for passengers. It takes 3 minutes at the 10mph speed limit for a bus to loop the whole deck. The ultimate example of transit stations designed by non-transit riders.

Yeah, there are many downsides of Transbay to balance out the appearance. Least of all seems to be that some buses (excluding MUNI) still don't use the bus deck, electing to drop off and pick up connecting passengers curbside. Really disappointing.

Back