State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

The upper level office section is coming off right now.

Apologies for the twisted image, but it looks like they're demolishing part of the garage.

Apologies for the twisted image, but it looks like they're demolishing part of the garage.

wPy2aGt.jpg

The variance in facades going up is great. What Boston lacks in height it makes up for it color, texture, and scale. Bostons color pallette of its skyline is top notch and its thankfully getting better. Its gaining more blue glass, but not too much like many other cities. It didnt have enough before, but its going to have just enough soon.

On top of that this stainless facade is new and it looks great, 125 lincoln adds a wonderful black industrial style facade, south station tower looks like highly reflective silver glass, the verizon tower has a black steel grid lattice, north station tower is white and its vertical stripe looks especially badass at night, and in the back bay were even going to get a green tower. Then of course mix in the blue glass reclad and 4-5 new blue glass towers and the wonderful pallette expands and becomes a perfect blend of colors and shapes that pop over the background of brick.

The variance in facades going up is great. What Boston lacks in height it makes up for it color, texture, and scale. Bostons color pallette of its skyline is top notch and its thankfully getting better. Its gaining more blue glass, but not too much like many other cities. It didnt have enough before, but its going to have just enough soon.

On top of that this stainless facade is new and it looks great, 125 lincoln adds a wonderful black industrial style facade, south station tower looks like highly reflective silver glass, the verizon tower has a black steel grid lattice, north station tower is white and its vertical stripe looks especially badass at night, and in the back bay were even going to get a green tower. Then of course mix in the blue glass reclad and 4-5 new blue glass towers and the wonderful pallette expands and becomes a perfect blend of colors and shapes that pop over the background of brick.

The facade for the State Street HQ will be all glass.

Is the demo all done then? I guess I don't fully understand how this will integrate into the garage.

Is the demo all done then? I guess I don't fully understand how this will integrate into the garage.

One more floor of existing above-garage office structure to come off...then, the ellipse of the office tower will hang over the top of the garage building (e.g., the floors of the tower leading up to the top of the garage will not be the full ellipse...all floors after the top of the garage will be the full elliptical cross-section).

Change in cross-section shown here:
View+02_final.jpg

Bottom-level cross section shows partial ellipse:

180521-Webiste-Graphics7.jpg

The "executive parking" eating up 3/4 of the main level is a nice touch.

The "executive parking" eating up 3/4 of the main level is a nice touch.

It's not really the "main level", they're low floors where offices wouldn't sell anyway and that are directly linked to the existing garage.

I'm always thankful that towers in Boston aren't invariably on ten floors of obvious parking podium the way they are in Austin, for instance. Every high-rise there sits on top of a Garden Garage.

I posted it up a little bit on this page in post 165. I think my settings allow the max posts per page so maybe not for everyone.

It butts up against the garage until it reaches the garage roof, then it hangs over at full tower width the rest of the way up (pic 3). Also after the lobby the garage actually extends out into the tower (2nd pic).

i'm also quite unclear. Are they sectioning the ellipse out of the Garage or not?

One more floor of existing above-garage office structure to come off...then, the ellipse of the office tower will hang over the top of the garage building (e.g., the floors of the tower leading up to the top of the garage will not be the full ellipse...all floors after the top of the garage will be the full elliptical cross-section).

Intuitively, i figured they can't allow too much of the roughly 25% of the ~560' tower to sit on top of the garage unless they install a few large columns-almost of the scale used to support the Citicorp Tower in NYC. Naturally, my supposed, most-practical synopsis--apparently isn't playing out.

Perhaps to reduce wind shear/and loads on the Garage is the main reason why they designed the tower to be a semi-circle, with reducing winds, (secondary).

I respect the engineers working on this more than enough to be sure they've worked it out, one way or another.

From the images shared thus far (in particular, stick's last and second-to-last) it seems that the garage is retained under a sliver of the ellipse. Whether or not there will be supplemental columns would require a deep dive into the documentation. Either way, I am confident the new tower is not resting upon an un-fortified existing garage. It either structurally overhangs it or there will be some new columns. I think the answer is pretty irrelevant unless you're concerned about losing a couple more parking spaces.

We know architects and engineers are capable of this:
GettyImages-687784735.jpg

^see here for more fun examples.

In our case of One Congress, the core (a major source of the shear strength) is entirely outboard of the existing garage (and I don't think it's quite a 1/4 of the tower that overhangs)...so I wouldn't even consider this One Congress tower a particularly extreme example at all.

And, btw, we've essentially already done exactly this here in Boston with 33 Arch (Notice the "X" bracing visible through the glass at the lower levels of the cantilever):
https://goo.gl/maps/rxixULCdEbduDRHQ8
CikOAB7.png

https://goo.gl/maps/rxixULCdEbduDRHQ8
CikOAB7.png
[/QUOTE]

Stupid question: any chance that the parking garage that 33 Arch is cantilevered over could be torn down and replaced with underground parking and a decent-sized tower (in a decade or two, perhaps)?

Back